Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527916 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1365 on: September 02, 2017, 02:11:38 pm »
Some interesting facts ......

The ring-necked, or rose-ringed, parakeet is the UK's most abundant naturalised parrot. It became established in the wild in the 1970s after captive birds escaped or were released
https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/our-work/our-positions-and-casework/our-positions/species/invasive-non-native-species/ring-necked-parakeets

Parakeets now outnumber native British birds after escaping into the wild
Parakeets have reached record numbers in the UK, outnumbering native species such as kingfishers, barn owls and lesser-spotted woodpeckers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/3531948/Parakeets-now-outnumber-native-British-birds-after-escaping-into-the-wild.html

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #1366 on: September 02, 2017, 10:39:40 pm »
Seen quite a few in Sefton Park, Liverpool ... I'm told they're in other Liverpool parks as well ... so no doubt they will soon head this way!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1367 on: September 05, 2017, 03:55:25 pm »
Passing the Oval cricket fields over the last few weeks, I have noticed a large flock of birds, which I think are Lapwings, is this unusual for Llandudno ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1368 on: September 05, 2017, 11:12:33 pm »
There used to be loads of Lapwings in the fields where the Liddell Estate is now but their habitat has gone, but you can still see them in the Bodafon Farm fields and there are  usually many in the fields opposite Llandrillo Technical College

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1369 on: September 17, 2017, 11:37:26 am »
Butterfly bonanza to take place at Conwy nature reserve.     Pensychnant is open today and the Butterflies are being released at 2.00pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-41233011

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1370 on: September 17, 2017, 09:03:37 pm »
The Birds on the Oval are Oyster Catchers, I think that they go there when the tide's in at West Shore. They also visit Llandudno Bowling Club, you wouldn't believe the size of the holes they dig in the Green. We put a mousetrap in one and covered it over, it was on top of the Green next morning and the hole was even bigger. Any one got a 'Shotgun' WWW
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1371 on: September 18, 2017, 10:34:40 am »
Thanks Q, I always see them from a distance and have never been able to ID them properly.
I saw the club had a Hawk kite bird deterrent earlier this year, was this the reason ?

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1372 on: September 18, 2017, 03:43:27 pm »
Yes it was intended as a deterrent, but we found them pecking below it. It was said that a woman had phoned the RSPB to say that a bird had been tied to a line and was in distress. It obviously fooled her more than the Oyster Catchers.   &shake&
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1373 on: September 20, 2017, 08:02:13 am »
Tellytubby sent me a photo of a Seal with her pup taken recently in Angel Bay and posted in Facebook so I thought that I'd have a walk there on Monday and see it for myself.
Unfortunately I couldn't see the pup but I did see the only Seal on the beach and judging by the marks on her back she must have been in a fight or two sometime

Offline DVT

« Reply #1374 on: September 20, 2017, 08:56:42 am »
Butterfly bonanza to take place at Conwy nature reserve.     Pensychnant is open today and the Butterflies are being released at 2.00pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-41233011
Over 200 released!  It's been a very good year for Red Admirals and quite a few to be seen in Bodnant as they are emerging now.  But a bad year for others, especially Peacocks.  According to the guy at Pensychnant there is a parastic fly that is destroying the larvae.  Red Admirals lay eggs single over a wide area so are not as suscepticle as the species that lay eggs in big clumps - safety in numbers doesn't always work.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #1375 on: September 20, 2017, 12:09:04 pm »
I'm a different (North Norfolk) area DVT but I've not seen many butterflies this year.  Barely a (usually common here) small tortoiseshell around.  There is a buddleia round the back which can be a magnet for peacocks and I've not seen one this year.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1376 on: October 13, 2017, 12:45:47 pm »
This is not pleasant, but they need information......

Fears red squirrels face wipeout on Anglesey after first suspected case of deadly virus reaches island
One of the animals has been found dead at Coed Mor and experts are testing it for the potentially lethal squirrel pox virus.

One way the public can help stop the virus spreading is by cleaning feeders regularly. Signs to look out for include scabs, blisters or grazes when the native creatures visit your garden.
Please report any sightings of red squirrels to the Trust by contacting 07966 150847 or mail@redsquirrels.info.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/red-squirrel-pox-wipeout-anglesey-13752523

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1377 on: December 10, 2017, 11:16:14 am »
A couple of Rabbits in a garden in Moelfre didn't take much notice when a group of us walked past them as they still carried on feeding.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1378 on: January 14, 2018, 10:13:48 am »
 Yesterday Tellytubby and I went to Llanddulas to  see a first-year Glaucous Gull, the world’s second largest gull species that breeds high in the Arctic.
We also had reports of many Kingfisher sightings in the River Dulas but unfortunately we didn't see any but we did see the Gull which has been there a few weeks now and it was reported in the paper before Christmas because it was feeding on a dead porpoise that had been washed ashore.
We saw the Gull on the beach but nearer Rhyd Y Foel than Llanddulas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1379 on: January 14, 2018, 05:50:17 pm »
Sea birds at Rhyd Y Foel