Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527493 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1275 on: February 18, 2017, 05:58:25 pm »
A beautiful looking bird Steve and I haven't been lucky enough to have seen one.    My friend's brother who lives in the Dolgellau area is lucky to have them coming to his bird table quite often

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1276 on: February 28, 2017, 12:01:02 pm »
Doris and Ewan blow in unusual gulls to the North Wales coast
.Bird Notes columnist Julian Hughes of RSPB Conwy reveals what birds have been spotted in the past week
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/doris-ewan-blow-unusual-gulls-12666625

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1277 on: February 28, 2017, 06:17:35 pm »
I've tried a few times to see the link but it has been unresponsive unfortunately.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1278 on: February 28, 2017, 07:47:31 pm »
I've tried a few times to see the link but it has been unresponsive unfortunately.
I have just tried it again, working as it should, ..... &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1279 on: February 28, 2017, 10:32:00 pm »
It must be my computer then Steve as the link is still unresponsive.    I'll look on the RSPB website instead as the article seems very interesting and I'd like to see that is happening there.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1280 on: March 01, 2017, 12:11:35 am »
H.  Just in case, I have copied the main points

North Wales hosts six different types of breeding gull each summer, not just the Herring Gull which gets a bad name because of our wasteful food practices.
In winter, a few other gull species show up, and last week’s storms caused two scarcer Gulls to appear.
A Glaucous Gull, a white-winged seabird from the Arctic edge, was at Old Colwyn on Sunday, where Scaup, Long-tailed Duck and Velvet Scoters remain on the sea.

Pictured....Little Gulls, our tiniest gull, pluck insects from the surface of the sea while hovering over the waves.

A flock of eight fed off Criccieth on Sunday, blown inshore with a Great Skua, and another Little Gull was on the Glaslyn estuary at Porthmadog; these gulls will ultimately head east to nest around the Baltic Sea.

Grey Phalarope was another storm-blown waif at Porth Ysgaden near Nefyn, while a Lapland Bunting was at South Stack.
A flock of Waxwings flew over Penrhynside on Monday morning, and a Hooded Crow was on Holyhead Mountain.
Black-necked Grebe and a flock of Scaup are on Anglesey’s Inland Sea and Slavonian Grebes nearby off Penrhos Coastal Park.
Spotted Redshanks and up to 50 Twite are at Connah’s Quay.
A friend this week filmed tens of thousands of Sand Martins consuming insects in a feeding frenzy in Senegal ahead of their flight to Europe.
With good weather, the first will be in North Wales in just a few weeks, perhaps sooner, as several were sighted in south west England at the weekend.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1281 on: March 01, 2017, 08:36:39 am »
Thanks very much for posting those details Steve, it's really appreciated.        $good$

I was in the RSPB reserve in Llandudno Junction a few weeks ago looking for the Bullfinches but could only see them at a distance as the area where they were, was temporary closed off to the public.  It's nice to know that the Bullfinch population seems to be on the increase as they are such attractive looking birds.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1282 on: March 01, 2017, 04:35:10 pm »
Loads of birds were enjoying the high tide at Conwy today

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1283 on: March 24, 2017, 01:49:32 pm »
I was in the garden this morning and saw this little bird by one of the trees.   He didn't seem afraid as I got nearer and I thought that he had maybe fallen out of the nest and couldn't fly so I was relieved when he flew up to the tree and just started eating the peanuts there.
It would have made a nice close up photo on the peanut feeder but when I went to take a photo the battery went.    :rage:

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1284 on: March 24, 2017, 02:10:08 pm »
Looks a bit like a Coal tit ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1285 on: March 24, 2017, 02:25:11 pm »
I've looked at some photos and you could well be right Steve, thanks very much for that.      $good$
I took two more photos before the battery went flat,

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1286 on: April 03, 2017, 01:16:34 pm »
I don't think that ME has been feeding his Pigeons recently because every time I go in the garden now they seem desperate for food.       ;D

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1287 on: April 03, 2017, 02:25:11 pm »
What a lovely tame pigeon! Mine are all fit and well, this is Twiglet, born here and bonded with me!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DVT

« Reply #1288 on: April 03, 2017, 09:37:09 pm »
The little bird with a black head and white stripe is definitely a Coal T1t - lots of them visit the feeders in Bodnant.

ME - please come to my back garden and collect all your pigeons - they are a right pain, stealing all the food for the small birds, and making a mess of the lawn.  You can have them all for free!!!  Then the goldfinches can eat in peace.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1289 on: April 04, 2017, 08:08:34 am »
Lol, not my pigeons, mine all live in the aviary. We do have visiting pigeons, but the little birds all eat from the feeders with no problems from the pigeons.  :)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas