Author Topic: Miriam and Isaac Jones ( Yr Ogof)  (Read 43918 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Miriam and Isaac Jones ( Yr Ogof)
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 01:51:59 am »
Hey. Some attribution to Davy Stallard who originally found where the cave behind St Petrocks was and took the original photos. My family too. With Alun Baines now of New Zealand - and largely thanks to him - I have a full Jones family tree. Dunno who 'Apra' is; she seems an interloper cashing in on the Miriam's legend. Davy and I did try to contact her to find out who she is when she published her article in the NWW but without success and without response.  

A Stallard has a mention in Ivor Wynne Jone's book, Llandudno Queen of Welsh resorts:

No 6 Cwm Place, off Maesdu Road, was the last home of Llandudno's oldest citizen, Rose Stallard, who died on 4 April 1972, three months short of her 103rd birthday. Herself the mother of eleven children, she left 158 direct descendants. On her 100th birthday she told the author how, as a child, she earned her keep by carrying buckets of water from the sea to various hotels, for visitors to bathe their feet. She was paid a flat rate of 2d (less than 1p) a bucketful, no matter what the state of the tide, i.e. the distance she had to carry the water.
One of her earliest recollections was of having the exiled Emperor Napoleon III pointed out to her when she was a very young child. He died soon afterwards but was talked about for years, she said.

Wasn't Rose your Mother Mike?

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:21:13 pm »
No Troj. Rose was my Nain. Madge was my mother.
Micox

Offline Trojan

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 10:35:12 pm »
No Troj. Rose was my Nain. Madge was my mother.

Ah yes, I stand corrected.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »
All that remains now of the Gogarth Tearooms where Miriam Yr Ogof lived.  The views from there are still outstanding

Offline miriam

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 03:29:40 pm »
Hey. Some attribution to Davy Stallard who originally found where the cave behind St Petrocks was and took the original photos. My family too. With Alun Baines now of New Zealand - and largely thanks to him - I have a full Jones family tree. Dunno who 'Apra' is; she seems an interloper cashing in on the Miriam's legend. Davy and I did try to contact her to find out who she is when she published her article in the NWW but without success and without response.

Hi Michael

Just to say hello, lots of memories of your mum and dad, I'm living in Old Colwyn haven't flown far from the nest. Hope you're keeping well.

Miriam

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 11:20:43 am »
Hi Miriam, welcome to the Forum.   There are loads of photos and memories of Llandudno on here so I hope that you enjoy them.      $good$

I was walking on the Great Orme on Saturday (see walking under Hobbies and interests) and I passed the ruins of Miriam Jones' Gogarth Tea Rooms and the tiles in her kitchen are in remarkable condition really considering how long it has been a ruin.
My Nain and Taid would have known Miriam as they lived in one of the Penmorfa Cottages that were in the grounds of  the Gogarth Abbey Hotel and Miriam would have passed by when she came into town also Nain was also from Amlwch as was Isaac.
My Grandparents  moved to 33 Cwm Place when the Penmorfa cottages were demolished in 1936 and that is where I was brought up. I left there in 1970 when I got married.
I remember you and your parents living in the street as you would pass our house on the way to the shops or town.

Offline miriam

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 03:49:31 pm »
Hi Hugo

It's a small world. I'm new to the forum so I suppose it's wrong of me to ask your real name. I'm trying to remember who lived at no. 33 was it near the alleyway to the shops ? Any glues which would jog the memory ? I remember the Griffins at that end.

I only stumbled across this forum looking for info on my grandparents, it's really good - not getting any work done though - too busy looking things up.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 05:45:11 pm »
Hi Miriam,   Wyn and John Griffin lived at No 30, Sam Owen at No 31 (bottom flat) and my two brothers and I lived next door at No 33.          ?{}?

Offline ed jones

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 08:37:13 pm »
Miriam hello Darlin, this is your big daft cousin Eddie JONES. The last time I saw you was just befre Christmas 1963 in Cwm place, I joined the Fleet Air Arm a couple of months later and I only visit occasionally. I've had a few contacts via the forum, it's a darn good site. A lot of people seem to know me but I have only managed to crack four user names.
Anyway keep in touch. I'll e mail you my phone number etc.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 09:35:08 am »
           Hi Miriam,
                        I used to work with your cousin Eddie helping his dad Ted (Yr Ogof) with his pleasure boats and lobster pots on the north shore in Llandudno in the 1950's and I also lost touch with him after he joined the Fleet Air Arm in 1963. Like you it wasn't till I joined the Forum that I saw his name mentioned and managed to contact him again after nearly 50 years, so as he says in his message "it's a darn good site!" I also recently spotted one of his dad's old pleasure boats ("Welsh Maid") which has now been converted and is now fishing out of Conwy and sent him a photo which he says brought back a few memories. Good luck with your search for your family.

Offline miriam

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 10:39:08 pm »
Hi Gwynant

You may have come across my Dad Alun he was Ted's brother and used to help out at times on the boats. The Welsh Maid used to be my favourite boat, lovely to hear she's still around, I'll look out for her when I go to Conwy. So thanks for the info.

Offline miriam

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 10:51:25 pm »
Hi Hugo

For the life of me I can't think who you are - it'll come to me eventually , put it down to age ......... my excuse anyway.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 10:57:32 pm »
There are seven in this Llandudno Youth Club team C1963 who lived in Cwm Place can you remember the faces?

Offline miriam

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 11:12:37 pm »
Thanks for that Hugo I picked out the 7 faces couldn't put names to all of the faces, it was a long time ago ....

Offline miriam

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 11:15:03 pm »
Is that you bottom left ?