Author Topic: Miriam and Isaac Jones ( Yr Ogof)  (Read 41570 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Miriam and Isaac Jones ( Yr Ogof)
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2013, 04:08:57 pm »
I was looking for someone in the 1881 Census and came across an entry for Isaac and Miriam Jones.  They left the cave about 1877 and in 1881 were living at the Gogarth Tea Rooms on the Marine Drive. Although they had so many children only Rebecca (aged 11) was still living at home.
I always believed that Isaac was from Amlwch but the Census said that he was born in Liverpool.  Miriam was born in Llanelian Denbighshire and Rebecca in Llandudno

Offline miriam

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2013, 03:36:36 pm »
Hi Hugo

Never heard that before, I thought Miriam was from Gyffin Conwy, and as you say Isaac was from Amlwch. Must look it up when I get a minute.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2013, 03:57:03 pm »
Hi Miriam,
Those Census records are quite good for finding information and I was looking at an earlier Census (can't remember the year) and this was at the time that the family were living in the cave.  The entry showed the address as " Cave by Gogarth" and Isaac Jones was listed but no other members of the family were listed which was a bit strange.

Offline miriam

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2013, 03:39:27 pm »
$good$ Hi Miriam. This is an amazing site - after all these years, the lovely little girl who lived in the flat below with Megan and Alan appears fuzzily again in my vision - dressed in a black coat with a bright scarf. How on earth did you drift so far away into indian country at Old Colwyn! You are, for me, rooted firmly and prettily in the Cwm Place flat below - except that you now have the mantle of proud Queen of the 'R Ogos carrying the most famous name in Llandudno.

Fond greetings.

Mike.
Hi Mike

Lovely to hear from you hope you are keeping well. As you say it is an amazing site I've found out so much family history, still loads to find out. It's just finding the time to do it. And yes, I've been very adventurous going this far away from Llandudno. I have even lived as far away as Denbigh for a short while but that was a bit too far away...... Have you seen the photo I've put on the gallery of your Mum and Lily Owen ?
My Mum and your Mum were very good friends and used to go to bingo together. I remember the siamese cat "Orlando" that your Mum had, I thought he was wonderful and eventually got one of my own, many years later ( two actually) and it was all down to your Mum. If I remember correctly we are related through Rosie Stallard, was she my Grandmothers sister ?

Hopefully speak again soon, take care

Miriam

Offline emma silk

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2014, 09:59:39 pm »
Hi miriam, I'm new to the forum but its been really helpful. My great grandmother was also Rose Stallards sister.Although I never knew all the family you all talk about my mother remembers lots of them. She is not in the best of health but loves talking about all the family, especially when I find new information for her. We all live in Conwy.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2014, 05:51:09 pm »
Hi Emma.

Good to hear from yet another family member. I've accumulated quite a lot of family history and have posted information on this forum (Genealogy I think). What's your Gt Gran's name?   
Micox

Offline emma silk

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2014, 11:02:51 pm »
hi micox, my gt gran was mary known as polly from welshpool. we'v spoken before when by father was really ill and its taken me a long time to get back to doing the family tree. my computer is being fixed at the moment and am not using my email until its sorted, as soon as it is i'll email you with my details.

Offline apra

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2016, 11:35:01 am »
I have joined this forum rather late...however I am not an interloper, and i am most certainly not "Cashing in" on the stories of the Orme. Mirium Yr Ogof is my Great Grandmother, My father was Jonny Yr Ogof son of Ted and I have been compiling a book of the family for quite a while. I have had various articles and stories published over the years but complition of the book has been emotionally draining, I can only really work on it for a few weeks then I walk away because it is extremely upsetting at times, not because of anything bad, but because I loved my father very much and miss him every day.

I would even if this reply is several years too late like to share my knowledge of the family with people.

I am no longer an entertainer..(Fire Eater-Juggler) A profession my Father would have loved to have seen me do, I am a factory owner in Wrexham and free lance writer

If it isnt too late, I am hoping to share historical knowledge and family experiences with you

Kind Regards

Apra  :D

Offline AJ

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2023, 08:41:23 pm »

? Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:03:29 pm ?
Hey. Some attribution to Davy Stallard who originally found where the cave behind St Petrocks was and took the original photos. My family too. With Alun Baines now of New Zealand - and largely thanks to him - I have a full Jones family tree. Dunno who 'Apra' is; she seems an interloper cashing in on the Miriam's legend. Davy and I did try to contact her to find out who she is when she published her article in the NWW but without success and without response.

I know this is a long shot as not sure this conversation still running, I'm trying to trace my great Taid's family. He was John Jones and was killed in an explosion in Dolgarog Aluminium works in 1916.  My Nain said his Great Nain lived in a cave on the Orme and sold tea to walkers. I didn't really take much notice until I read an article about Miriam.  I think my Great Taid's father or grand father was one of her sons, he worked on the railway and lived in Rowen and Llandogedd, he was still alive when my Great Taid was killed as he is mentioned in the news paper report but not named.  My great Taid also had a sister and brother called Tommy who fought in WWI and my great great nain and taid were living in LLandoged then.  I have read that you have the Jones family tree, i was just wondering if that fits in with the tree

Offline Hugo

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2023, 11:35:20 pm »
A1   sorry I can't help you on your search but I've enclosed photos from the paper that you were talking about.    Miriam and Isaac lived in Gogarth Cave which appears in old O/S maps of Llandudno.      Isaac also gives the address of Gogarth Cave in the Census records of the 1800's

When they were building the Marine Drive around the Great Orme Mostyn Estates wanted the family to move from the cave but Miriam resisted that eviction threat unless Mostyn Estates gave them a cottage to live in and that's when they moved to the Gogarth Tea rooms where they ran a business from
I hope some forum readers can give you the answers you are looking for, good luck

Offline Helig

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2023, 09:20:40 am »
Hello AJ,

I am happy to do some research on your query but cannot start it today. It may take me a week or so to spend time on this as I am busy with personal matters right now. It would help if you could put some dates of your ancestors if possible. Do you know how old John Jones was when he died in 1916? It sounds as though you have an obituary for him, can you post the details please?

Helig

Offline AJ

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2023, 03:34:07 pm »
Diolch for the photos Hugo, they are fantastic.
Thank you so much Helig for your offer. I have found him in the 1911 census in Trefriw when he was living with my great Nain, we don't know if they were actually married as they ran away together to South Wales before coming back to Trefriw.  I know his parents  lived in Llandoged when my Nian was a little girl. Jwe think John was Miraim's grandson or great granson.  Thank you

Offline AJ

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2023, 03:36:48 pm »

Offline AJ

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2023, 03:48:07 pm »
This is the information of 1911 census, I have photots of the newspaper report of the accident but they will not post as too large to send as an attachment.  The accident was on the 29th May and he died a few days later in Llandudno Cottage hospital.  The inquest was reported in the paper on 15th June.   

Offline AJ

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2023, 04:21:56 pm »
Have a number of newspaper  reports about the death in English ac yn Gymraeg, I've given up trying to attach so written out the most relevent.
Thursday June 15Th
Mr John Jones Trefriw
AS a result of the injuries sustained in the recent fire at the Dolgarrog Works. Mr. John Jones, Pleasant View, died at the Llandudno Cottage Hospital on Wednesday at the age of 37.
The remains were interred at the public cemetery on Saturday. when the Revs, OwenEvans (w) Llanrwst and J Ellis Williams Bangor officiated.
Amongst the mourners were the widow and her children and his aged father. Also Messers H J Jacks managing director   C Colley Manager and J Lobley and a large number of fellow workmen.

Thursday June 15Th 1916
Burnt to Death
Inquest on Victim of Dolgarrog Accident
An inquest took place on Friday at Llandudno before Mr J Pentir Williams touching the death of John Jones aged 36, of Trefriw, who died in Llandudno Cottage hospital on Wednesday from burns sustained at the works of the Aluminium Corporation the Vale of Conwy on May 29Th
Mr Crossley Colley manager of the works, said that thefire suddenly occurred in the works where aluminium is manufactured and Jones and four others sustained injuries.  He was a very careful workman.
Mr j Lloyd Edwards, Home Office Inspector of Factories and Workshops, was present at the inquest and stated that he had visited the works and was satisfied that the regulations were being carried out there, but no doubt the Home Officewould go carefully into the matter.
A verdict of Accidental Death was returned.
Mr E W Johnson, on behalf of the owners of the works, expressed their sympathy with the widow and three children, and this was participatedin by the jury.