Author Topic: Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street  (Read 26600 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Have Your Say: Reviving the High Street
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2013, 02:54:43 pm »
With pedestrianisation, I guess one of the issues would be access to the shops and cafes for deliveries.  Most deliveries seem to take place from Mostyn Street so if all these were diverted to to the back streets possibly there would be objection from the householders living there.  Also, some parts such as from Lloyds TSB to Vic Centre do not seem to have an easy access at the rear.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:00 pm »
There will always be objections and problems: that's true for any innovations. But this scheme might improve the situation in the long term. Depends on the mindset of those in power....
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2013, 04:13:33 pm »
Some years ago I was in Bangor Hospital recovering from an operation for almost 4 weeks.  I amused myself by designing a new traffic system for Llandudno incorporating a one-way system, broadly similar to what Ian has suggested.  I presented it to the Council as a suggestion to overcome the traffic problems but never heard another word!  In fact I never received so much as a thank-you.

:cyclist40: ^*^0 (*) *cycle*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »
When did they try pedestrianising Mostyn Street? Must have been a few years ago, I don't remember it.

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2013, 06:56:03 pm »
Good evening from a very cold portsmouth just found this site it is very interesting hope you like it http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:29:39 pm by DaveR »

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2013, 08:42:48 pm »
Thank you Dave for tidying the website for Woolworths up I did not know how to do it Romanjohn.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2013, 08:45:18 pm »
Thank you Dave for tidying the website for Woolworths up I did not know how to do it Romanjohn.
You're welcome, mate. Stay warm down there in Portsmouth!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2013, 08:28:30 pm »
In Northern Ireland where they have just held the g8 all empty shops where made to look occupied and cleaned up,i feel sorry for the Jewlers in Mostyn st (goldsmiths) having to put up with the filthy looking empty shop next door(old Ethel Austins),the owners should be made to tidy their premises up.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2013, 09:05:41 pm »
Agreed, the Ethel Austin shop looks terrible. All empty shops should have vinyls to cover the windows to keep them looking presentable.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2013, 11:35:37 am »
Still waiting for the Town council to clean up the five empty shops on Mostyn st

Offline nwpo

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2013, 04:39:21 pm »
Agreed, the Ethel Austin shop looks terrible. All empty shops should have vinyls to cover the windows to keep them looking presentable.

I notice that Savills have applied vinyls to the old Dreams shop on Mostyn Champneys.  Make's it look much better.