Author Topic: Railways  (Read 60723 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Railways
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2017, 10:50:17 am »
Direct rail link from North Wales to Liverpool takes giant step forward today
Work gets underway on the Halton Curve that could transform rail links in the area.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/direct-rail-link-north-wales-13329828

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2018, 06:43:46 pm »
This model railway comes with a house attached to it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-44044877

Offline Hugo

« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2018, 01:16:02 pm »
Yesterday our walk ended in the cafe on Tan Y Bwlch railway station.  After having a coffee we had a good look around the place and the station which is on the narrow gauge Ffestiniog to Porthmadog railway line is well looked after.
When we were there two trains came in, one from Blaenau and the other going to Blaenau and it was encouraging to see that both trains were packed with passengers

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2018, 10:39:00 am »
It's a great railway!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2018, 10:47:25 am »
I must admit that I haven't been on it but will have to do it sometime soon.  The carriages were full and the station was well taken care of and the views from the train must be stunning

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2018, 02:02:17 pm »
The loco "190" is actually a modern replica of "Lyd" which used to run on the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway before WW2.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2019, 04:18:42 pm »
The incredible 1950s archive footage showing the earlier days of the Ffestiniog Railway
The fascinating footage shows footage of a 1956 promotional video of a journey from Porthmadog to Minffordd.

Unearthed after many years the ten minute long 16mm film begins with a very wobbly car journey along the now very busy A487 to Porthmadog.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/incredible-1950s-archive-footage-showing-15760086

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2019, 02:41:40 pm »
Great film.

The steam engine, Prince, was still running a few months ago.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2019, 05:36:39 pm »
Mull very kindly sent me PDF's about the old Prestatyn to Dyserth railway that ceased operating in the 1960's.     The old track is now tarmaced and is a really good place for cyclists and walkers alike.

Mull gets a railway magazine called BackTrack each month and in the December 2018 edition is an article on the Dyserth Branch line. It is shown as Part One and Mull has been in contact with the magazine and they say there will be more articles to come on North East Wales Branches when they have finished writing them.   I know that there are a few railway enthusiasts on the forum and thought that they might like to see these articles.

My old mate Tellytubby lived in Dyserth at the time the trains were running and he has told me about the times when they used to run behind the trains and hitch a lift on the back of the train and get off when the train slowed down at the Meliden bend.   Naughty boy Tellytubby

Offline Hugo

« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2019, 05:38:02 pm »
The old Prestatyn to Dyserth railway

Offline Hugo

« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2019, 05:39:20 pm »
The old Prestatyn to Dyserth railway  ( last PDF's )

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2019, 06:09:50 pm »
There is a youtube clip of an actual train journey from Prestatyn to Dyserth in 1968
I've attached the link below ,the quality is not brilliant but enthusiasts in trains and/or the locality may be interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGj65vfwrJg

Offline Hugo

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2019, 10:33:28 pm »
Thanks for posting that clip Rhuddlan,  I didn't notice Tellytubby's little legs running after the train though       ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2019, 11:22:42 pm »
Rhuddlan,  I found this clip of the old railway and it's nice that some of the old buildings and bridges still remain there.    It's a good walk to do and there is a delightful walk from near the old Dyserth railway station following the river downstream to the well known Dyserth waterfalls.    It's one of my favourite walks especially in the Springtime when the wild Garlic, Orchids and other plants are in flower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZP3er51Izo

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2019, 02:36:46 pm »
Hugo,

Thanks for that. Our mutual friend Tellytuby and I must have walked every path in the  Dyserth area (and elsewhere for that matter) many times over the years.
     Trevor Thompson, who in my school year in the 60's,wrote a book all about the railway .
     Its amazing to see the proposed extensions,indeed they started one section(stopped by WW1as I recall) up from Dyserth up towards Grove and Marian Mills and bits of the track bed and so forth used to be visible, I say that as its some years since I last did it.
     I agree a spring day above the waterfalls is pretty difficult to beat.We must do it and then cross the main road and up to Marian Mills ( where incidentally I found out recently one of my ancestors lived in the 1840's.)

Rhuddlan