Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 100601 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Recycling across the area
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:36:42 pm »
Last Monday we arrived home (a bank holiday) to find even more recycling bags and boxes and a ludicrously complicated system, we looked at it on Tuesday and tried to figure out what went where and er indoors put the stuff in different bags only to realise that the new damned silly system doesn't start yet :rage: :rage: :rage: The side of our bungalow is now stuffed full of plastic boxes, stupid bags that can blow about in the wind when out in the road and it all looks a right mess, so tonight I've decided they can stuff it, we have no actual kitchen waste as we don't eat meat and any uncooked veg etc goes on the compost heap, we can still take plastic to the bottle bank place when having a walk, I can still put paper out, anything else can go in the big grey wheely bin. anyone else find it a stupid system or is it just me being 'Victor Meldrew'?
 $angry$ $angry$ I've previously been in favour of recycling but there are limits!  :o :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:20:11 am by Ian »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

Re: New recycling scheme
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:12:25 pm »
Nice to hear some Thoughts of Victor again.  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: New recycling scheme
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:31:34 pm »
I completely agree.... I thought it was just us, being thick.

What about people with small pokey cottages, are they supposed to have an entire line of bins and bags outside thier house all year round?

Its getting out of hand... I'm sure we will 'get our eye in' eventually, but the pace and complication of this is getting a bit much.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 11:56:23 am »
Apparently the Acting Chief Executive of Conwy County Council, namely one Kenneth Finch, does not see any problems with the forthcoming recycling system.  But then he wouldn't would he?    :rage:

This is a copy letter from someone in the recycling department  which KF whole heartedly endorses.

Refuse and Recycling

Thank you for your letter dated 11th April 2011 regarding our new weekly recycling collections.  As you described in your letter, from June we will collect virtually all your recyclable household waste, every week, including food waste, plastic, cans, drink cartons, cardboard, paper, glass and batteries.  There will be no change to your garden waste collection service or your wheeled refuse bin collection, both of which will continue fortnightly.

Most non-recyclable items can be placed in your wheeled bin for disposal to landfill, with the exception of rubble, soil, plasterboard, any liquids or any hazardous materials such as paint, chemicals, clinical waste  etc.  While electrical items are not specifically prohibited from landfill, we strongly advise that they not be placed in your wheeled bin.  Electrical items are one of the types of waste we are working to find more recycling options for, as described in the responses below to your questions regarding disposal of specific materials.

1.   “DIY leftovers such as plaster, cement, bricks and other similar rubbish.”  The Council does not offer a collection service for DIY waste.  Residents able to carry out DIY work are expected to make their own arrangements to dispose of their construction waste.  Household DIY waste is accepted at the Mochdre Recycling Centre.  If a contractor carries out the work, they must dispose of the waste through a commercial recycling or waste disposal outlet.

2.   “Old fat and cooking oils and car lubricants.” These items are accepted at Mochdre Recycling Centre.  Solid (but not liquid) waste fat can be placed in your wheeled bin.  Car lubricants are hazardous and any resident choosing to change their own car oil at home is responsible for its safe disposal.

3.   “Carpet, clothing and other materials.”  We are currently in a tender process to find a charity or company to carry out textile collections on behalf of the Council.  Details of this service will be provided along with your new recycling calendar, which will be delivered in early June.

4.   “Metals such as old domestic utensils, toasters etc.”  We will be encouraging the successful company or charity carrying out textile collections to also accept small electrical items (broken or working), for which they can receive payment from an appropriate Producer Compliance Scheme.  Proposals to collect general household bric-a-brac of the type that might be taken to a charity shop – books, CD’s, kitchen utensils etc – will also be considered.

5.   “Wooden items and broken furniture.”  The Council offers a bulky household waste collection service, for which there is a charge of £20 for up to four items.  Please call our Environment Advice Team on 01492 575337 to book a collection.

6.   “Items of mixed composition such as old televisions, computers etc.”  Most electrical retailers now offer collection and recycling of your old equipment when purchasing a new item.  Large electrical items can also be included in a bulky household waste collection, as described above.  Many charities or local community organisations also welcome donations of working television and computer equipment and may collect it.

7.   “Electrical items including cables and ceramics.”  As already outlined, we hope to be able offer kerbside collection of small electrical items in the near future.  We are also trialling electrical recycling banks at five locations in the County, but not unfortunately in your area as yet.

8.   “Hazardous items such as car batteries etc.”  The Council does not offer a hazardous waste collection service and hazardous waste is not permitted in your wheeled bin.  Most types of hazardous household waste are accepted at Mochdre Recycling Centre.  Most car battery retailers will recycle your old battery on purchase of a new one.

9.   “Any other unspecified waste.”  All the above waste types and many others not specified are accepted at Mochdre Recycling Centre, where over 80% of waste is recycled.  While we appreciate that not everyone owns a car to be able to access the Recycling Centre, a friend, neighbour or relative may be able to help.

As can be seen from our responses above, we do not have an answer for everything.  It would not be practical or economic for the Council to collect every type of waste, on demand, from every household.  What we will do is keep working to provide the most efficient and cost-effective collection service possible, with the maximum environmental benefit.

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:47:45 pm »
It all seems fairly reasonable to me.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »
and me.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »
Except that there are a lot of old people around who are unable to get to the recycling centres and who the Council seem to think should make use of neighbours, relations etc.   Many items that once were acceptable amongst the normal everyday waste are now not catered for such as old materials, small household items and small electrical goods.  This they admit!

Where are the bins and bags expected to be kept, especially if one lives in a small apartment?  Already one person on the Forum has stated his objections to the system.

To my mind it has been ill concieved and badly implemented.  The overall cost is likely to be a lot more than that which will be "saved".

No doubt some people will be happy with the arrangements, some will not - the proof will show in the medium and long term.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:42:06 pm »
We have been in this scheme for about 2 years now so have got it down to a fine art.

Somebody told me you can`t take your car into the Mochdre recycling place anymore you have to park outside and carry your waste in. Does anybody know if that is true?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 02:02:55 pm »
We have been in this scheme for about 2 years now so have got it down to a fine art.

Somebody told me you can`t take your car into the Mochdre recycling place anymore you have to park outside and carry your waste in. Does anybody know if that is true?

The current scheme I have no problem with, its the new version with extra bags, boxes etc which is getting complicated, for a system to work it needs to be simple.

I've not been to the Mochdre site for around a month, we could drive in then ok, not sure about now, it would seem unworkable if you could not take your car in.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:26:20 pm »
That`s what i thought.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »
Been to Mochdre this afternoon, with rubbish from the  Prom Day. Cars are allowed inside, as before. They have more specific areas to put your recyclable waste, so it is an idea to segragate your waste before getting there.
Commercial Vehicles are not allowed, without first applying for permits from the Mochdre Council Offices. Even if you a hire a van/large trailer, you should still obtain a one-off permit before going to the site.

Things will improve with the new roleout of recycling later in the year. We have a new 3 stackable box system with access to each box when stacked. This will replace a lot of the various different bags and boxes we now have. Unfortuately this system will not be with us for a few months.

The scheme on the whole is a nescessary evil, we have to reduce what we send to landfill, if we don't the esculation in landfill tax will have a massive impact on the Council Tax. Finding solutions that require us to reach 70% recycling targets is not easy, and it does require residents to do a lot of the segration. The Council has invested in a new facility at its Gofer site, which will sort the Plastic and the different metal containers, this is already proving succesful as the sorted metal means we can get a better price for certain metals. The recycled paper goes to Shotton Paper Mill, by having this "clean" it again means we get a better price for the material. The sale of all the recyclets then pay for the service, and means the Council Tax implications are minimized.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 05:48:28 pm »
Thank you for that JasonW

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 05:54:30 pm »
so jason are you saying we are having more boxes soon , after the ones that have just been delivered .

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 06:35:08 pm »
I hope we are not getting more boxes and bags after the first delivery - that's enough to cope with and I think it's a load of rubbish anyway!!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 06:52:32 pm »
So is that a third system later this year :o  why bother with this second system, why not just go straight to the stackable box system?

How much does this all cost?
How much plastic goes into making the boxes? 
If all this is due to this landfill tax (from the EU I think?) don't tell them how much rubbish goes in to landfill (avoid the tax :laugh:) alternatively just ignore the EU nonsense

And while we are on the subject I still believe that anyone including trade should be able to take their waste to the tip for free, otherwise we get flytipping and then the council (or the landowner)  have to pay to clear it  :rage: