Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 100626 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2015, 09:16:19 am »

The fact is, in our area we were given a collection date of 2nd January, for the mountain of Xmas recycling.
But they NEVER TURNED UP to collect!   

Fester, I went round to the recycling lorry depot on Builder street and asked why they had not been on the 2nd of Jan. Apparently they did the top half of our road but ran out of time to do the bottom half so they left them out. !!!!

Strangely they came at 8.30 this morning instead of their normal mid to late afternoon slot. By that time last night's  winds had emptied most of the boxes,put out last night, onto Black Gate.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2015, 09:18:24 am »
Apparently they did the top half of our road but ran out of time to do the bottom half so they left them out. !!!!
That's sadly indicative of attitudes in parts of the public sector.  &shake&

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2015, 11:33:32 am »
I didn't put our bins out last night as it was blowing a gale but as the bins were so full I had to set the alarm clock for 7.30 am and get up and take the bins down ready for the bin men who normally call just after 8 o'clock.
When I got up the wind had died down and it was very calm, but that won't be for long as bad weather is forecast for later.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2015, 12:06:40 pm »
New idea this morning ! All 3 of our garden waste bags were removed complete with contents first thing this morning !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2015, 03:04:29 pm »
Something similar happening here in Conwy Nemesis. My neighbour and I have put our garden waste out twice in December and it wasn't collected, at the third attempt last Friday they took bags and contents from both properties, left me two new bags but none for my neighbour.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2015, 05:06:26 pm »
There's got to be something really ironic (or possibly stupid) in the fact that when we came back to the house this afternoon I spent a good while collecting a  number of Crest Recycling Bags blowing about on the tram tracks and up our road. This along with the advertising or "how to recycle" paper work that goes with them.

On a more positive note the Garden Recycling team did, this morning, take away the Christmas tree as advertised this morning.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2015, 03:56:17 pm »
We had the new trolleybocs thing delivered on Wednesday, went out on Friday for collection, all fine so far, went out this afternoon, came back and it had blown over! Now the handle on the paper box is broken! Not a lot of use in the real world of winds!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2015, 05:06:26 pm »
Conwy council to undertake one of the biggest ever recycling surveys in Wales
Following the rollout of the Trolibocs system and having achieved a recycling rate of 59 per cent, the council is seeking to continue its success by launching the ‘recycle more survey’.

The survey, which will be sent out to households across conwy over the next two weeks in the form of 50,000 questionnaires, is designed to find out how the council can help residents recycle more and waste less.

Dave Cowans, councillor responsible for environment and sustainability, said: “What the people of Conwy have done in getting to 59 per cent recycling has been fantastic.
“Our weekly recycling collection service has been hugely popular and now we want to find out how we can get even more out of the wheelie bin and into the food bin and Trolibocs.
"Everyone has a part to play and I would ask everyone to fill out the survey.”

Andrew Wilkinson, head of neighbourhood services, said: “It’s no secret that councils have less money to spend.
"Last year we could have saved a staggering £1.6 million if people had placed all of their recyclables into the recycling containers instead of the wheelie bin.

“That is literally throwing away money, which we can’t afford. We need residents to help us take the next step towards a better environment by wasting less and recycling more.”
The survey will also be available online on Conwy Council’s website.
Once the surveys have been collated and examined, the results will be made public
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/151944/conwy-council-to-undertake-one-of-the-biggest-ever-recycling-surveys-in-wales.aspx

Offline DVT

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2015, 09:04:05 am »
Wonder how much notice will be taken of survey results!

Recycling target should be zero ... i.e. no waste ... not 50% or 60% or whatever figure someone comes up with.

But isn't the problem not that we all throw away so much, but the fact that we have so much we have to throw away ... is anyone addressing the fact that there is simply too much packaging on products ... tackle the problem at source.

... and conversely, how would we get cheap products made from re-cycled material if there was no re-cycled material in the first place!!!

Offline SteveH

Re: Recycling across the area ( Beach Litter)
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2016, 01:00:07 pm »
UK beach litter rises by a third, report finds

The amount of rubbish found dumped on UK beaches rose by a third last year, according to a new report.

More than 8,000 plastic bottles were collected by the Marine Conservation Society’s annual beach clean-up at seaside locations from Orkney to the Channel Islands on one weekend last September.
On average, 99 bottles were picked up along every kilometrecleaned by volunteers. It is estimated that plastic bottles can take up to 500 years to break down once in the sea.

The charity’s report reveals a 34% rise in beach litter overall between 2014 and 2015, the largest ever amount of litter per kilometre (3,298 pieces) and a record-breaking number of volunteers, just over 6,000, taking part.

“The bottles we find on beaches are either dropped directly onto the beach, blown from land or sea, or end up there via rivers. The more we use as a nation, the more we’ll see ending up on our shores.”

All countries saw an increase in litter, except Wales, where litter levels dropped after a record rise last year . However, in the last decade, average litter levels on Welsh beaches have increased by 51%. England suffered record levels of litter across 189 beaches.
MORE..http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/23/uk-beach-litter-rises-by-a-third-report-finds

Offline SteveH

« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2016, 05:08:39 pm »
I wonder if the new bin collections will increase recycling.?

The amount people in Wales are recycling is on the up.
Nationally we are now recycling 59% of our waste but there are still huge regional variations. The 59% rate is above the Welsh Government’s target of 58% and up on the previous year.
But huge variations are shown between the 22 Welsh local authorities, Conwy BC stands 9th with 59% recycled.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/amount-people-wales-recycling-up-11393950#

Offline DVT

« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2016, 08:55:28 pm »
Surely the target figure should be 0% ... there should be nothing to recycle - no waste.

The source of the problem does not seem to be getting tackled - i.e. the huge amount of packaging on everything bought in the stops.

No waste = nothing to recycle = no problems with landfill, etc.

Those of a certain age will recall the time when the amount of household waste hardly filled half a bin each week.  Packaging and newspapers would have been used on the coal fires, food waste would have gone on  the compost heap.  The only things in the bin would be the odd tin that some of the foodstuff came in.

Yes, my wife and I do recycle everything we can - it's a pain trying to deal with all the boxes and bins, then sorting out which ones to put out each week.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2016, 05:32:03 pm »
Put our recycling bins out last night as usual, garden waste collected this morning but by 4pm the recycling had not been collected from me and at least two other properties. Rang up to complain and mentioned  that I had seen two recycling trucks drive slowly past without stopping!  I was told it would be collected within two working days, must mean by Tuesday! Let's hope we do not get windy weather in the meantime!  &shake&

Offline mull

« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2016, 09:48:57 am »
Same here on Mull. Put waste paper bin out last Tuesday and not emptied until yesterday. Excuse due to the lorry breaking down.
Problem were I live in the village is en route from the top car park to Iona ferry and people start using it for general rubbish eg dog poo, dirty nappies.
No answer to this problem so far.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2016, 07:32:13 am »
They have just collected the recycling from us, we noticed that a nearby road had also been missed last Friday!  &shake&