Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 100611 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2016, 01:40:17 pm »
More and more people are complaining about this now - I've seen three posts on my facebook just this morning. Isn't there a petition or demonstration or some action that can be done?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »
Our black bin was due to be emptied 10 days ago. My wife 'phoned the Environment dept and was assured it would be done. She made three more calls over several days and I eventually filled in the form on the website.  All to no avail. Today, at 1220, I emailed Dave Cowans who has responsibility for the department. At 1410 it was emptied.

It shouldn't take having to 'phone the cllr in charge for a response. But many thanks and Kudos to Dave Cowans.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2017, 03:27:48 pm »
I noticed on Thursday, the garden waste team in new Biffa overalls, is it just this team or is all waste services contracted out ?

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2017, 04:45:20 pm »
I noticed on Thursday, the garden waste team in new Biffa overalls, is it just this team or is all waste services contracted out ?
Maybe that would explain why they didn't bother taking mine away this week and resulted in me having to take  it to Mochdre tip in the back of the car.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »
Recycling body criticises Pringles and Lucozade packaging.

The Recycling Association named them in a list of products that pose the biggest challenges for reuse.

Informative article.....  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39953209

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2017, 04:06:04 pm »
I saw a guy on TV yesterday talking about those packages and some containers, for example Coffee Mate are as bad as the Pringles package.
They contain a number of different materials and I never know which stacker bin they should go in. 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2017, 12:55:59 am »
I keep trying to weigh up cleaning fluid bottles and various types of food packaging....

My next door neighbour ( a CCBC Manager who was instrumental in bringing in the stacker bins scheme)  kept telling me I was wrong, ... so from that that point on, I gave up, they go to landfill... simple!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2017, 12:56:28 pm »
With the news in the NWWN  this week that from next Wednesday there will be a charge for getting rid of non household waste at the Mochdre waste disposal site the place has been busier than usual
I was there twice yesterday and once this morning but I'll be there again this afternoon.

At least it has given me the incentive to get rid of some items and have a good clear out but from next Wednesday it will all have to be paid for.     It's economy measures by the CCBC but will it lead to an increase in fly tipping now that people have to pay for getting rid of unwanted non household items.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2017, 01:12:41 pm »
I agree, I think it will be a false ecomomy, the costs mentioned by CCBC  for clearing fly tipping, is extremely high, also I suspect a greater use of the black bins, will cause further problems.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2017, 01:43:04 pm »
I have discussed this with my neighbours and we are all in agreement; that this is stupid and extremely short-sighted move that will without doubt be a huge blight the Conwy.

It is my intention in twelve months time to make a Freedom of Information demand for the costs of dealing with fly-tipping over the past five years.  We can now start placing bets now on the increase in the next twelve months over previous years. 500%? 1000%?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2017, 01:50:32 pm »
Perhaps they would be better trying what our local council does with what they call DIY waste?  I don't know how they monitor it but you are restricted to 1 large (eg. a bath or a door) item or an 80L bag per week free of charge at the recycling centres.

https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/rubbish-recycling-and-planning/rubbish-and-recycling/diy-waste

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2017, 01:54:23 pm »
The council seem to take the Texan approach with a lot of things - this being a primer.
Instead of setting aside cost to make sure problems don't happen, they set aside cost to fix the problems.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2017, 04:27:30 pm »
I've just come back from the Recycling place in Mochdre and the place was in gridlock.  I waited about 20 minutes before I moved in the queue but in all fairness to the staff it wasn't their fault at all.
The sheer volume of traffic trying to get rid of materials before Wednesday's charges was unprecedented and the staff were on the ball and helping everyone there.

More fly tipping and more non household stuff going in the black bin is inevitable in my opinion following these charges

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2017, 11:30:28 pm »
But the vast majority of household waste will still be free to dispose of, what’s the panic here?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2017, 02:42:39 pm »
But the vast majority of household waste will still be free to dispose of, what’s the panic here?

I hope that I am wrong but you'll soon see what the problem is.     At the moment the tipping at the Mochdre site is free but fly tipping is still a big problem, so what is it going to be like when it's not free to tip there?

I've just come back from Mochdre after taking a car load of tiles down there and it was jam packed with others doing the same.  I'll be there again this afternoon and possibly tomorrow.   If I have any more on Wednesday then I'll have to pay for the privilege of doing it and would never consider fly tipping but not everyone can afford it and some are unscrupulous anyway.

Bri Roberts, hope that you have got that fence panel now, because if not it'll cost you at least another £4.00 on Wednesday to get rid of it      :o