Author Topic: Cymraeg - Welsh language issues  (Read 27819 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Cymraeg - Welsh language issues
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 11:59:46 am »
Perhaps I should have referred to the activists rather than just anyone. 
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Tosh

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 12:59:31 pm »
Sorry Yorkie, didn't mean to sound snotty.
The Welsh school who were in the news last week for punishing pupils who spoke in English at school sent out the warning letters to parents in, wait for it, English.
Sorry again.
Tosh

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 01:13:43 pm »
I would imagine, (although there are no specific census figures on this) ...that in England, the incidence of English being spoken as the 'first' language will have fallen by more than any 2% in the last decade.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 12:43:10 pm »
Sorry Yorkie, didn't mean to sound snotty.
The Welsh school who were in the news last week for punishing pupils who spoke in English at school sent out the warning letters to parents in, wait for it, English.
Sorry again.
Tosh

There's no truth in that story. It was started by an English parent who did not want changes to Cardigan school. They created a website which was seen by the Telegraph and Mail and the result was very anti-Welsh reports in the paper.
For some strange reason the allegations have now disappeared from the website.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 01:05:12 pm »
I would imagine, (although there are no specific census figures on this) ...that in England, the incidence of English being spoken as the 'first' language will have fallen by more than any 2% in the last decade.

The Census did show that in 4% of households no one speaks English as their main Language!   

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 04:07:17 pm »

The Census did show that in 4% of households no one speaks English as their main Language!   

.... and in certain parts of many ENGLISH cities, that will be nearer 40% 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 12:41:42 am »
you should speak the language you are taught when you are a school child and if you are lucky enough to be able to speak other language's then so be it . i wish i could speak fluant welsh being born and bred in wales but it wasn't to be, that's life you just have to grin and bear it, i moved to another country and was able to speak the language better than those who lived there, yes i moved to England. I Do, have a different accent than i used to have i am welsh to the core and proud of it, may be moving to another part of GREAT BRITAIN was a way of showing me that there is more to life than just complaining about how the other folk don't want to sound just like what i do or speak the language that they think i should speak. We all live on the same planet and breath the same air so learn to live with it, your only here for a short spell why make it harder than what it is. By the way if you see me in the local I'll have a Grouse and ice

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 07:34:29 am »
you should speak the language you are taught when you are a school child

What happens when parents speak one language and the schools teach in another? This isn't an issue unique to Wales, either;  it exists in one form or another throughout the world. It is however, one of the most expensive issues in fiscal terms and the prime cause - along with religion - of torture, genocide, war, mass murder and child rape. 

Language is a tool of thought. It's also the way in which humans communicate with each other and, given the capacity for misunderstanding which exists between them as it is, anything which might contribute to potential misunderstanding is obviously not desirable.

Colonisation of land by the major powers during the 15th - 19th centuries is largely responsible for the world's language distribution today.  In the 1960s, prior to widespread television broadcasting, the international language was believed to be French, but this saw a gradual shift as trade between the previously xenophobic communist bloc countries and the West increased. Partly because the US has traditionally spearheaded both trade and colonisation through anti-communist adventuring, and partly because WWII was won by English-speaking countries (although Europeans might disagree), English supplanted French and is now acknowledged as the international language of Trade and diplomacy. The process was accelerated by the advent of satellite broadcasting.  Astra footprints ensured that the Scandinavians could get Sky and - led by the linguists of Europe - the Dutch - the entire Northern Europe conglomerate became fluent in English.  The ever-pragmatic Chinese, meanwhile, decided that their population, speaking 292 different languages between them, would be taught English as a common tongue, which left little choice for just about any other country other than to adopt English as their primary second language.

Today, mastery of English is essential for progression in any profession and the ubiquity of satellite broadcasting ensures that advertisers will not support minority languages. Even the great world languages such as Hindi are accepting this, and - particularly for Dalits, whose status often eliminates opportunities to learn English - protection has been seen as necessary so their chances to live and work successfully in India will not be damaged.

The case of India and Pakistan is also interesting, in that it clearly shows the lethality of bigotry and mindless nationalism in separating what had been one homogeneous society into two, nuclear powers based solely on language and religion and it seems clear that the world will one day end through a conflagration sparked by little more than unreasoning hatred and bigotry for the language and beliefs of others. It's a sobering through that were an advanced civilisation from the stars able to visit us, they would almost certainly view us as in need of serious education and possible fumigation. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 09:03:53 am »

.... and in certain parts of many ENGLISH cities, that will be nearer 40%
?{}?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 08:41:34 am »
Fester i think you know we all love you,i think you will find its the english press ,politicians at westminster that are the problem,you will find that we all laught when England get beat at anything because we get it rammed down our throats,England,England,England,England,tv,press ,radio so i hope you understand its not the English we hate its the system which you cannot control.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 10:24:17 am »
Are there no Welsh Politicians at Westminster, or any Welsh Press, or Welsh Television, or Welsh Commentators?

They can't be doing a very good job for you if that is what you feel!    $walesflag$

Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 05:20:10 pm »
Well Yorkie,the BBC is supposed to be the british,not the english broadcasting company,the Sun,the Mirror,the Guardian,Daily Mail,Telagraph,are all British papers so i don;t see why i should have to be reduced to just the Daily Post or Western Mail to read about my country when all the nationals should be covering my country just as much as England,your problem Yorkie is your English,you moved to wales and nothing is different if i moved down south can i walk into the newsagents and buy my Daily Post ,no.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 06:35:07 pm »
Well Yorkie,the BBC is supposed to be the british,not the english broadcasting company,the Sun,the Mirror,the Guardian,Daily Mail,Telagraph,are all British papers so i don;t see why i should have to be reduced to just the Daily Post or Western Mail to read about my country when all the nationals should be covering my country just as much as England,your problem Yorkie is your English,you moved to wales and nothing is different if i moved down south can i walk into the newsagents and buy my Daily Post ,no.

Actually, Wrex, I am half Dutch and half Yorkshire.  I don't see any literature from Government available in either Dutch or Yorkshire.  However, I could get them in Urdu, Swahili, Polish, or any other of 54 languages if I asked.  But I don't complain because I am not a Nationalist. 
 $walesflag$

It is up to the Welsh Press to decide where to market their products.   Maybe they feel there is an insufficient market dahn Sahf!  But when we lived in the Midlands we did get the  Weekly News by subscription which is another option for any Newspaper or magazine.  Nowadays with the Internet it hardly seems worth buying a newspaper or magazine.
  $uk
Cicero

Offline Tosh

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 06:54:56 pm »
Stop sounding so hard done to.
You've got BBC1 Wales, BBC2 Wales, ITV Wales and also S4C which could disappear because hardly anybody watches it.
The English do not look down on you and they do not rejoice in your failings.
It is the Welsh who are always complaining about about the English not liking them and to be perfectly honest they don't actually care, it's all in your minds.
Get over yourselves and stop thinking that everybody is against you because they're not.