Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395740 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2013, 10:35:20 pm »
Thanks for the answer and hope to see you in the morning as tomorrow will be a sunny day.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: February 13, 2013, 08:20:20 am »
Cleethorpes Pier has failed to sell at auction, reserve price £400,000. In the past, it has changed hands for over £1m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-21305045

What you get for your money:
http://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/swindells-auctioneers/catalogue-id-4265/lot-2167679#

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: February 13, 2013, 08:31:01 am »
Worryingly, that looks similar in length to Colwyn Bay and probably is far better appointed.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #363 on: February 13, 2013, 09:50:40 am »
I saw that on the news last week, it does not surprise me with a pier's high overheads and low income, I would not invest in one either.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #364 on: February 13, 2013, 11:50:08 pm »
With good marketing and a range of interesting attractions.... together with management that is allowed to invest and innovate, I believe that Piers in general are potentially very lucrative businesses.

Of course, the seaside town itself needs to be capable of attracting viable numbers of visitors.

Llandudno is certainly such a town.  Colwyn Bay may no longer be a viable proposition.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: February 14, 2013, 08:05:39 am »
With good marketing and a range of interesting attractions.... together with management that is allowed to invest and innovate, I believe that Piers in general are potentially very lucrative businesses.

Of course, the seaside town itself needs to be capable of attracting viable numbers of visitors.

Llandudno is certainly such a town.  Colwyn Bay may no longer be a viable proposition.
That certainly is the case. If you look at piers that have reinvested profits into providing more and better quality attractions, they are very successful businesses indeed.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #366 on: February 14, 2013, 08:24:02 am »
Llandudno pier looks to need much investment, at the very least to the appearance of it, but what returns would a investor receive? It seems that the current ownership / management is desperately short of money going by how it all looks  :(
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:21 am »
It goes back to my point about reinvesting profits. The Pier owners don't reinvest, that's always been the problem with Llandudno Pier's absentee owners. It's viewed as a cash cow and is given practically no real investment. If you think about it, the last major investment on the Pier was the building of the Golden Goose back in 1968!

With sustained investment, Llandudno Pier could be a highly lucrative investment, without a doubt.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #368 on: February 16, 2013, 05:13:32 pm »
It goes back to my point about reinvesting profits. The Pier owners don't reinvest, that's always been the problem with Llandudno Pier's absentee owners. It's viewed as a cash cow and is given practically no real investment. If you think about it, the last major investment on the Pier was the building of the Golden Goose back in 1968!

I've been lead to believe the Pier spend up to £100,000 a year on maintenance Dave, so as to your comment on lack of real investment, have a good look at the galvanised steel beams and other steel work that has been put in, under the hard wood decking, that has also been replaced. Infrastructure work without which would have left our Pier in the same state as Colwyn Bay's
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: February 16, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »
I worked on the Pier for quite a few years, so have a good knowledge of how the maintenance regime works (or how it used to, rather).

The figure you mention (that is now up to £120,000 a year roughly) is pretty much all taken up with repairs to the steelwork. Unfortunately, very little is left over for other repairs and maintenance. Take a close look at the kerbs as you walk up and down the pier (the wooden bit the railings rest on)and you'll see that some of them are in a shocking state, with one or two bits completely rotted away. Take a look at the photo attached - it's a section of kerb that was marked out with yellow paint for replacement two years ago due to the fact it is rotten through - the work has still not been carried out and that section is deteriorating further. I'm afraid that's the reality of the situation.

Of course, the £120,000 spending is great but it's not investment, it's just routine maintenance. Investment is when you build new attractions and facilities to get more visitors spending their money. I can't recall anything significant in many years. If we're honest, the pier looks tatty and its attractions are tired and run down.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #370 on: February 17, 2013, 09:28:42 am »
Funny that this subject should arise as I happened to pop onto the pier yesterday to pass the time of day with Fester. I was quite surprised how many large patches of wood had rotted away since I last went on there. I turned back at Fester's shop, as it was rather busy and I had the dog with me, so I haven't seen the further areas. It was the bit near the shell shop which I noticed.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: February 17, 2013, 10:11:31 am »
Looking at the rusted white ironmongery in your picture Dave, I wonder whether there would be any mileage in getting a national paint company - say, Hammerite or Watco  - to sponsor alternate sides of the pier railings?  They could paint one side each and advertise accordingly.  Given the pier's footfall, it might be worth a try.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #372 on: February 17, 2013, 10:53:40 am »
Just put a brush in Festers hand,it will be done in no time lol,seriously these days i suppose we have to be grateful we have a pier that is open,but it just goes to prove my other post,investment is a no go.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #373 on: February 17, 2013, 05:53:47 pm »
is there no chance of national lottery money?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #374 on: February 17, 2013, 08:42:40 pm »
Snowcap, the Pier is a privately owned business, Lottery funding is not, (and should not) be used to prop us private businesses.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -