Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395719 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #705 on: April 15, 2015, 03:42:04 pm »
I must admit I personally find the proliferation of memorial benches not just on the pier but all around town a bit depressing, especially when they are bedecked with flowers or other memorabilia. Nothing worse than dead flowers in their cellophane wrappers or tacky plastic ones complete with a barely legible note as the ink has run in the rain or faded with the sun.
If people do want a memorial lets keep it tasteful and low key.A small plaque should suffice.

Offline No 6

« Reply #706 on: May 03, 2015, 12:59:08 am »
For those interested in sailing from Llandudno pier again - please keep an eye on July 1st to 5th

Further details about the 2015 timetable for the M V Balmoral are being finalised and will be announced here once they are confirmed.

Advance publicity leaflets are available at Venue Cymru

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #707 on: May 05, 2015, 04:57:49 pm »
I believe that the new owners of Llandudno Pier are taking over today. I wish them good luck in building upon its success as Llandudno's leading visitor attraction.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #708 on: May 05, 2015, 07:32:33 pm »
That's a good start dave is that why it wasn't,open  _))*   Your mate fester didn,t mind it was closed lol

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #709 on: May 06, 2015, 08:55:21 am »
That's a good start dave is that why it wasn't,open  _))*   Your mate fester didn,t mind it was closed lol
I think they were doing the handover, so the pier couldn't be open whilst that was going on.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #710 on: May 06, 2015, 10:09:27 am »
THE owners of Towyn's Tir Prince Raceway Ltd are in the process of buying Llandudno pier for £4.5 million.

Contracts have been exchanged and the sale is expected to be completed later this week, according to Richard Baldwin, director of Bilfinger GVA’s Retail, Hotels and Leisure team.

The pier, placed up for sale in March along with two others in Blackpool, is expected to be bought by entrepreneur Adam Williams’ Tir Prince Raceway Ltd.

A spokesperson for Crown Entertainment Centres, the company selling the piers, said: “We’re delighted to have exchanged on Llandudno pier.”

A spokesperson for Bilfinger GVA Retail, Hotels and Leisure added: “To have exchanged on its sale in such a short time scale is extremely satisfying.”

http://www.newsnorthwales.co.uk/news/147620/towyn-leisure-firm-in-talks-to-buy-historic-llandudno-pier.aspx

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #711 on: May 06, 2015, 07:52:17 pm »
   I bet thats a relief to a good few that knew me thirty years ago when I traded under the name of "Towyn Travel." So no its not me.  Might have been interested but didn't fancy having a dustup with any unruly tenants. No of course I didn't mean you Fester

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #712 on: May 07, 2015, 08:35:04 am »
Llandudno Pier sold to Tir Prince leisure boss
15:12, 6 May 2015
By Owen Hughes

Towyn businessman has sealed deal to take on the £4.5m historic tourist attraction and promised to invest to ensure it has a bright future

Llandudno Pier has been sold to Tir Prince leisure boss Adam Williams who has vowed to invest to ensure the pier has a bright future.

Bilfinger GVA Retail, Hotels and Leisure has successfully completed the sale of the iconic Llandudno Pier for its £4.5m asking price on behalf of established leisure attraction operator Crown Entertainment Centres.

The pier, famed for its Victorian and Edwardian elegance, has been bought by leisure entrepreneur Adam Williams’s Tir Prince Raceway operation, supported by Barclays.

Mr Williams said: “The deal has been completed and this pier is now in local ownership, I feel very privileged to be the owner of this wonderful attraction.

“I went to school in Llandudno and grew up looking at the pier and my dad Billy had always wanted to own it.

"He has passed away but he would be very proud that I have now bought it, my mum is certainly very proud."

He said he will take his time before making any changes.

“I appreciate Llandudno is different to Towyn and I will not dive in and start changing things," he said.

"I will spend the next few months learning about the pier and the people who visit and maybe 12 months down the line look at what we can do to improve things.

"This is a cultural icon, the best pier in the UK as far as I am concerned and I fully appreciate its cultural value and will do nothing to damage that as that is what people come here for."
No charges for going on pier

He added: "There are no plans to charge to use the pier, that is not in my remit at all.

"We will keep investing in the pier to secure it for the future. We have invested £4.5m into the pier, we have to ensure we protect that investment for the future."

Richard Baldwin, director in Bilfinger GVA’s Retail, Hotels and Leisure team, said: “Llandudno Pier has attracted a large amount of interest since it came on to the market six weeks ago and to complete a sale in such a short timescale is extremely satisfying.

“Offers in excess of the asking price were received, but all parties were in agreement that a sale to Adam Williams was in the best interests of the long-term future of Llandudno Pier.”

St John Stott, director at Crown Entertainment Centres, said: “We’re delighted to have sold Llandudno Pier and are equally delighted that the future of the pier is safe.

“Both piers in Blackpool which Crown Entertainment Centres has on the market through Bilfinger GVA are attracting similar levels of interest.”

Adam Williams, Managing Director at Tir Prince Raceway Ltd pictured with Gary Fletcher, Relationship Director for Barclays

Gary Fletcher, relationship director for Barclays, said: “By working closely and really understanding the business, Barclays has been able to support Tir Prince Raceway financially and professionally throughout the investment.

“We have a long standing relationship with the company and now wish to maintain that strong relationship with the existing management team.

"Adam worked in the arcades and on the fairgrounds since he was 16 and knows the industry inside out and understands the importance of continued investment.

“It’s great to see the pier being owned and managed by a local entrepreneur with a successful track record within the North Wales leisure industry.

"This was a complicated funding package against some strong competition put together within a very short timescale but it is great to demonstrate that large scale funding packages are readily available to the right propositions.”

The pier was put up for sale in March by Cuerden Leisure along with Blackpool Central Pier and Blackpool South Pier with a collective price tag of £12.6m.

The Tir Prince business was established in 1950 when founder and travelling showman Billy Williams relocated from Bolton to North Wales, opening some of the very first amusement arcades along the North Wales coast.

The company currently employs more than 60 staff within the amusement arcades, caravan park, fairground and harness racing business.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-pier-sold-tir-prince-9194642

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #713 on: May 07, 2015, 02:30:35 pm »
I was visited today by a very dapper looking Mr Ormegolf,  and as he made his way along the Pier he was exchanging pleasantries with the new owner of Llandudno Pier.

Mike certainly moves in exalted circles.   Is there anyone in N Wales that he doesn't know?   Z**
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #714 on: May 15, 2015, 08:47:49 am »
Llandudno Pier: New owner speaks of ambitions after £4.5m sale

Published date: 14 May 2015
Published by: Steve Craddock

THE new owner of Llandudno Pier has spoken of his hopes for its future.

Bilfinger GVA Retail, Hotels and Leisure completed the sale of the iconic pier for its £4.5m asking price on behalf of leisure attraction operator Crown Entertainment Centres.

The pier, admired widely for its Victorian and Edwardian elegance, was officially acquired by leisure entrepreneur Adam Williams’s Tir Prince Raceway operation on May 6, supported by Barclays.

Mr Williams said: “Tir Prince Raceway is excited to have the opportunity to own the pier and ensure that many thousands of people continue to enjoy its offering as a visitor attraction for years to come.

“It has been very well looked after by the previous owners.

“It’s always been in our minds, but you never expect these things to come onto the market.

“I was on it on the first day - Bilfinger GVA said our offer was the fastest they had ever had.”

Richard Baldwin, director in Bilfinger GVA’s Retail, Hotels and Leisure team, said: “To complete a sale in such a short timescale is extremely satisfying.

“Offers in excess of the asking price were received, but all parties were in agreement that a sale to Adam Williams was in the best interests of the long-term future of Llandudno Pier.”

Mr Williams added that in the short term he would not be making changes to the pier, but instead he would get to know the clientele and how the pier operated, with initial ideas for future works including improvements to lighting and paint work.

St John Stott, director at Crown Entertainment Centres, said: “We’re delighted to have sold Llandudno Pier and are equally delighted that the future of the pier is safe.”

Berin Jones, Chairman of Llandudno Hospitality Association, said: ”It’s a wonderful piece of Victorian architecture which we need to keep in the town.

“We’d be interested to have conversations with Mr Williams about what his long term plans for the pier are and how we can help. At the end of the day we’re all working to achieve the same goal – the continued success of Llandudno.”

http://northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/147988/llandudno-pier-new-owner-speaks-of-ambitions-after-4-5m-sale.aspx

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #715 on: May 26, 2015, 11:45:42 pm »
I have often fancied a beer or two at the Pier Head, on one of those blissful warm, still nights.
However, it has never been thought to be viable financially to open it late in the evenings.

The new owner of the Pier, Mr Adam Williams has made the decision to open the Bar, Cafe and Arcade at the Pier Head, until 10pm so I was able to fulfil my dream last night.
From the Promenade I could see the neon signs telling me that everything was open, so Mrs Fester and I made our way on.

I have to say it was excellent, and I intend to do it more often.  It wasn't very busy, but I reckon that even at 9.30pm there were still sufficient customers to make it worthwhile.
This was the view at 10pm as we left,  (just don't tell Mrs F I posted this!)  :o

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #716 on: May 27, 2015, 07:17:26 am »
Any Waltzers appeared yet.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #717 on: May 27, 2015, 08:04:50 am »
I have often fancied a beer or two at the Pier Head, on one of those blissful warm, still nights.
However, it has never been thought to be viable financially to open it late in the evenings.

The new owner of the Pier, Mr Adam Williams has made the decision to open the Bar, Cafe and Arcade at the Pier Head, until 10pm so I was able to fulfil my dream last night.
From the Promenade I could see the neon signs telling me that everything was open, so Mrs Fester and I made our way on.

I have to say it was excellent, and I intend to do it more often.  It wasn't very busy, but I reckon that even at 9.30pm there were still sufficient customers to make it worthwhile.
This was the view at 10pm as we left,  (just don't tell Mrs F I posted this!)  :o

That sounds a lovely thing to do Fester. I hope they start stocking sherry!

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #718 on: May 27, 2015, 11:49:27 am »
Yes that,s how it used to be ,and it was always busy ,trying to lock up at 11oclock was tough .

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #719 on: May 27, 2015, 04:15:20 pm »
What's Langtrys like nowadays? Noticed they advertised live entertainment from 7.30 every night.