Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395490 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #900 on: October 31, 2016, 02:19:27 pm »
The ones which have been there for years, bouncy castle, slide etc.... still there!!  Only packed up for the winter just today, I was chatted to Richie, the ride owner, as he was doing it.
The 'transient' rides, here for the season for the first time, they packed up and left one week earlier, due to one of THEIR staff, NOT the Pier's staff, being implicated in that child grooming court case.
The rumours that flood around this town, I've never known anything like it!  &shake& &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #901 on: October 31, 2016, 04:21:58 pm »
I am not a big fan of Facebook, to many jumping to the wrong conclusion without thinking.
Thanks again for the info. F.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #902 on: February 20, 2017, 07:28:28 pm »
This vessel the NG Orion,  (NG = National Geographic) is booked to visit Llandudno Pier in early September 2017

Fester...

Offline SteveH

« Reply #903 on: February 27, 2017, 03:19:14 pm »
Coastguard search after clothing found
A search was launched earlier today at 11am at the request of North Wales Police after clothing was found at the end of Llandudno Pier.
Llandudno coastguard searched the area but realised they could not effectively search the coves along the Great Orme and underneath the pier so the lifeboat was launched.
Following extensive searches around the Orme and along the North Shore to Angel Bay nothing was found so all units were stood down.
Llandudno Pier search
Just spoken to police who have given me some more details about the search around Llandudno Pier.
They were contacted at around 10.30am after reports of clothing being found. Enquiries were conducted in the area due to concerns for the safety of the owner of the clothing.
Earlier this afternoon the owner was found and reunited with the items. Police are no longer investigating.ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #904 on: March 02, 2017, 12:21:29 pm »
This vessel the NG Orion,  (NG = National Geographic) is booked to visit Llandudno Pier in early September 2017

Antarctic explorer vessel heading to Llandudno as resort expects to sail into tourism boost
The town could benefit from a series of planned visits over the summer

Bosses at Llandudno Pier have revealed that the world’s last working sea-going paddle steamer The Waverley will come to the resort twice this August.
This is expected to be followed by the first arrival of the National Geographic Orion vessel on September 3 as part of a cruise of the Welsh and English coastline.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/antarctic-explorer-vessel-heading-llandudno-12672017

Offline SteveH

« Reply #905 on: April 03, 2017, 11:42:25 am »
A 19th Century pier that was almost destroyed by fire has been voted Pier of the Year.
Hastings beat off Worthing in the competition judged by the National Piers Society (NPS), with Llandudno pier taking third place.ref BBC

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #906 on: April 03, 2017, 01:21:48 pm »
How did the Colwyn Bay Pier do in that list Steve?       ;D

Offline SteveH

« Reply #907 on: April 03, 2017, 04:04:26 pm »
How did the Colwyn Bay Pier do in that list Steve?       ;D
They only got half marks........... ;)

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #908 on: April 03, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »
I never like "beat off" being used like that  :roll: :roll: :roll:
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #909 on: April 04, 2017, 09:24:30 am »
I thought the restoration of Hastings Pier was a missed opportunity. Instead of a recreation of the original buildings, there is a vast expanse of decking with one original curved kiosk at the entrance (originally there was a pair of them) and a small modern building halfway down the pier. Very disappointing, considering the many millions spent upon it.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #910 on: April 07, 2017, 07:28:53 pm »
Sorry, DaveR, but I do not know Mr Challinos.

In fact, I have never heard of the gentleman so I will be interested to learn more.

However, earlier this evening me and Mr R took a pleasant walk down the pier and sat down outside the amusement arcade and opposite all the full tables outside the pier bar.

In front of us were three middle-aged women enjoying a drink and a cigarette.

Anyone smoking should actually have been sitting over to our right were the pier owner has put down metal flooring as a fire precaution under the outside tables.

Never mind, we said nothing until one female finished her cigarette and dropped it onto the wooden floor beneath her.

We could see smoke rising resulting in Mrs R walking over to encourage the individual to extinguish her smouldering cigarette.

The individual was not very happy that her attention was being drawn to the fire hazard.

I stood up and reminded the individual that it was a wooden pier only to be told to 'p**s off'.

On that point, we decided to move on as we felt it was not worthwhile trying to reason any further with the group nor to involve the two young kids serving in the bar.

If Mr Adam Williams manages to read this then I hope he will provide some refresher training for his staff on the seriousness of dropping smouldering butt ends onto a dry wooden pier.

Nevertheless, I am wondering what would other forum members have done had they witnessed what we both saw?

Would you have done what Mrs R did or would you have turned a blind eye?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #911 on: April 07, 2017, 08:56:43 pm »
Bri,  I lost count how many times I got told to 'p-off' and worse, by people (including heavily pregnant girls) smoking and dropping cigs on the pier.
Also, the amount of physical altercations I got into whilst asking people to clean up the s##t from their dogs, as they walked away from it is no-ones business.
Eventually, after 7 years of stress, it dawned on me..
Don't bother, it's life shortening stuff.
It's indicative of the scum that's being attracted to Llandudno these days.
You can't beat them so leave it, galling as that might be.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #912 on: April 08, 2017, 07:43:58 am »
The sort of person who ignores common sense and sensible rules is the sort of person who won't think twice about verbal abuse or even physical. Years before the smoking ban my wife and I were coming back from the States with the two kids and in the airport awaiting our transfer there was a bloke smoking in the 'no smoking' area. I was fairly jaded, anyway, so I pointed out that it was a no smoking area and as we had the two kids if he didn't stop I'd get security. He wasn't happy but stopped, anyway. But decent people usually don't want the hassle of telling people when they're in the wrong - often for very good reason.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #913 on: April 08, 2017, 09:47:34 am »
Bri. I'am afraid I have no patience for the ignorant or the stupid, and would have done the same, I do count to ten before opening my mouth, Mrs H says I need to count to fifty at least.   >>>

Offline mull

« Reply #914 on: June 21, 2017, 06:14:32 pm »
Not looking good for sailings on the Balmoral this weekend.

Today and tomorrow sailings from Milford Haven cancelled due mechanical problems. Ship is now heading back up the Bristol Channel.