Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254113 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #375 on: March 18, 2014, 11:31:59 am »
Popped into Ruthin Castle for lunch the other day, this chap made us feel very welcome!

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #376 on: March 18, 2014, 02:14:03 pm »
Here's my room with a view. I am staying in an Egyptian themed hotel but I am not in Egpyt!
 ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #377 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:56 pm »
I'm jet lagged trying to keep up with you Hollins     :)    are you back in Dubai then?      $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #378 on: March 19, 2014, 03:35:44 am »
Yes!
I went zooming around on the Metro yesterday. It is a driverless train. I treated myself to a Gold class ticket which cost £5 for all day and all zones.
They are still finding plots to build on (last photo).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #379 on: March 31, 2014, 06:49:38 pm »
More of a 'capsule with a view' than a room, this is what the Liverpool waterfront looks like from the top of the Big Wheel when we visited last Saturday.

Offline hollins

« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2014, 07:12:45 am »
We are back from staying two nights in a room in the village at Portmeirion. It was a surprise treat for me for our 30th Wedding Anniversary. The room had the most gorgeous view over the estuary. It was wonderful being able to walk around in the evening after the crowds had gone.

Offline hollins

« Reply #381 on: April 16, 2014, 07:20:28 am »
Here are some photos of the inside of the hotel where we took our meals although one night we ordered room service which must be quite a challenge for them.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #382 on: April 16, 2014, 08:27:38 am »
A lovely place! We lived the other side of the estuary a few years ago!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #383 on: April 16, 2014, 08:52:31 am »
I remember you saying that ME. I don't know how you could bear to move but you have certainly picked some gorgeous places to live.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #384 on: April 16, 2014, 08:53:45 am »
Congratulations and best wishes on your 30th Wedding Anniversary, a lovely surprise indeed.     The place has a nice atmosphere and we have stayed there on two occasions.
The first village room we stayed at seems to be near where you stayed and had a double aspect lounge with views to the village out of one and breathtaking ones of the estuary and surrounding hills out of the other.

Offline hollins

« Reply #385 on: April 16, 2014, 09:18:46 am »
Thanks Hugo. It sounds like you could have been in the yellow building to the right of the hotel in this photo. We were in the pink one on the far right and hidden behind the trees from this angle.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: April 16, 2014, 10:08:25 am »
Congratulations on your 30th Wedding Anniversary, Hollins. I've thought about booking a stay in Portmeirion before, but the reviews (as I recall) didn't seem overwhelmingly positive - would you recommend it?

Offline hollins

« Reply #387 on: April 16, 2014, 02:13:51 pm »
Thanks DaveR. Yes i would recommend it. Firstly the location is unbeatable but I think you need to be careful which room you choose as some are badly overlooked by passing visitors. We were lucky because there was only access for residents in the part we stayed in. The interior of the hotel is quirky but not in a bad way. I haven't seen the bedrooms in the hotel itself.
We also stayed a few years ago in the Castle above but the view of the estuary from there is a much more far away one and the place doesn't quite have the same charm although the room we had was good.
The food this time was excellent. I had a delicious Welsh Rarebit delivered to the room the first night and on the second night we had the formal dinner sitting in the conservatory part watching the full moon rise above the hills and then reflected in the water. The dinner menu was quite adventurous and we were pleasantly surprised how good it was.
The service while not completely polished was fine. Things like not removing used drinks glasses from the table can be forgiven when you are in such a lovely setting!
One thing we did find a bit disconcerting is that they never seem to be able to keep up on the maintenance side of things. Not really surprising given the quirkiness of the buildings but for example the light at the entrance of our room was covered in cobwebs and dead flies and the stairs up to our accommodation were full of leaves and needed sweeping.. The interiors were fine but some things looked a bit untidy outside the buildings. I wouldn't let this put you off though as it was quite magical walking around after the crowds had gone home.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #388 on: April 16, 2014, 02:16:34 pm »
One thing we did find a bit disconcerting is that they never seem to be able to keep up on the maintenance side of things. Not really surprising given the quirkiness of the buildings but for example the light at the entrance of our room was covered in cobwebs and dead flies and the stairs up to our accommodation were full of leaves and needed sweeping..

I hope you made a comment about the issue. ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #389 on: May 02, 2014, 09:32:42 pm »
Thank you Gwynant!
Your inspiring quiz question has led me to my latest room with a view.
 ;D