Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 252012 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #420 on: September 01, 2014, 06:02:42 pm »
I've not been, but at least it means your quiz questions next year will not be in Portugal!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #421 on: September 01, 2014, 10:51:19 pm »
would you bet on that m,e,?

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #422 on: September 02, 2014, 07:55:13 am »
Apart from business trips to the Rimini area some years ago, my Wife and I have never been to any Italian resorts.  Trying to plan something different to Portugal for our next holiday, has anyone any suggestions for our first trip to Italy?  It would only be a couple of weeks, and we would not be hiring a car so would have to rely on Public transport.  I have trouble with hills, however gradual, so the topography is also important. Thanks in advance.   ZXZ
A combination of Venice with either Florence or Rome might be a good choice. All three are never to be forgotten cities. We have in the past been fortunate to have done both combinations. The Italian rail links between Venice and the two cities are clean and efficient and when we last went they were very reasonably priced. The train tickets can be be booked on line, in advance.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #423 on: September 02, 2014, 09:44:10 am »
would you bet on that m,e,?

Probably not!  L0L

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #424 on: September 02, 2014, 12:16:03 pm »
Thanks TheMedz, that gives us a good idea where to start.  I'm thinking that if we go with a Travel Company instead of doing it ourselves, there may be a few excursions available.  That will save me having to think too much!

No guarantees about Portugal questions, still plenty of photographs available!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #425 on: September 02, 2014, 01:55:59 pm »
Apart from business trips to the Rimini area some years ago, my Wife and I have never been to any Italian resorts.  Trying to plan something different to Portugal for our next holiday, has anyone any suggestions for our first trip to Italy?  It would only be a couple of weeks, and we would not be hiring a car so would have to rely on Public transport.  I have trouble with hills, however gradual, so the topography is also important. Thanks in advance.   ZXZ

In addition to Sorrento my wife and I have been to Lake Garda and stayed in Riva Del Garda which is at the northern end of the lake.   My wife has walking difficulties but the resort was ideal for us.    The town is on the level and right by the lake, buses go from there to Verona and excursions also go to Venice but our favourite way of travelling there is by boat.     Boats travel up and down the lake all day and criss cross it, stopping at all the pretty villages en route and you can get off where you like.      $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #426 on: September 02, 2014, 06:46:10 pm »
Hugo, that sounds great!  I particularly like the sound of using boats as I love boating.  I had a 10 metre ketch rigged motor/sailer until a few years ago and do miss the pastime.  That suggestion certainly sounds promising and also one that the Mrs will enjoy.   $thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #427 on: September 02, 2014, 11:01:08 pm »
This video will give you some idea of what it is like although it is over 7 minutes long.    The mountains around the lake at the northern end are the southern part of the Dolomites but the actual town of Riva is flat and ideal for walking around.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-us2KFU63vo

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: September 09, 2014, 10:51:24 am »
We stayed in a Beach House in Rhosneigr last week, weather was great, we could sit outside with a glass of wine and watch sunsets like this. Heavenly!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: September 16, 2014, 06:09:25 pm »
This was the view from our suite in Portmerion the other week.

[smg id=3293]

Wonderfully calm and quiet.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2014, 06:21:20 pm »
I can't see the pic, but we used to live the other side of the estuary, so we could see Portmerion from our house!

Offline hollins

« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »
What a beautiful photo and a dreamy view. Hope you had a good stay.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:00 pm »
It was very interesting. There were parties of Japanese and Americans, clearly being given the tour, but overall it's a good hotel despite being rather...quaint.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #433 on: September 17, 2014, 08:56:36 am »
This was the view from our suite in Portmerion the other week.

[smg id=3293]

Wonderfully calm and quiet.
Not bad for a beginner.  :P

Really nice shot.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #434 on: September 17, 2014, 10:49:51 am »
Not bad for a beginner.  :P

Well,  I haven't yet had the time to put it through Photoshop...

;D ;D ;D