Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 199714 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #735 on: January 02, 2014, 08:37:56 pm »
Hugo, I assume that it is the Walks from Colwyn Bay book you have, I must get a copy myself!  The mill wheel looks smaller than I remember and I am sure it still had its paddles about 25 years ago.  The white-wash on the building is also something I don't recall.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #736 on: January 02, 2014, 10:22:54 pm »
Cambrian, the directions I followed in Chris Draper's book said walk up the lane about 150 yards from the Chapel and on the left, opposite those farm conversions go through the metal gate and keep to the right hand hedge until you reach another gate and look at the white house and stone barn across the stream.
I've enclosed another photo of the whole complex and the waterwheel is attached to the building on the left.
Is this the one you are talking about?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #737 on: May 08, 2015, 06:37:17 pm »
I went for a walk today and went in to the Baptist Cemetery in Glanwydden.      It's still a jungle but better than when I've been there before as someone has been trying to clear it up.  It needs a lot of work on it before it becomes accessible to people but my friend and I made it to the end of the Cemetery where I believe that Enoch Roberts is buried.   Sadly the basic headstone is just peeping out of the branches and undergrowth that is awaiting clearance.
It is a shame that there wasn't an appeal for volunteers to do it as I'm sure that there would be many prepared to help.   More hands make light work as the saying goes.   Tellytubby, myself and a forest worker I know would have helped with the clearance.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #738 on: March 15, 2017, 04:16:42 pm »
Emma P and Jane B  there is a chance for you to buy a former home of the Roberts family from Glanwydden.   It wasn't like this when old Enoch Roberts was the Miller there but then neither was the price of £720K           :o

http://www.sterlingestates.co.uk/property-for-sale/glanwydden-glanwydden/ll31-9jp/1587285

Offline Hugo

« Reply #739 on: September 30, 2017, 11:10:36 am »
Emma P,  I noticed that you have been on line recently and wondered if you are still in touch with Jane B.    We have reached an impasse with Pierce Jones  (  Grace Jones' father ) and I was wondering if Jane could help one way or another.

I remember her writing that she was related to Evan Jones of Ty'n Rhyn  and someone on here has posted that Pierce was in that family tree.   I was hoping that Jane could help us on this one

Offline Typandy

« Reply #740 on: November 15, 2017, 11:09:07 am »
Emma P. I do not have the time to trawl through 50 pages of responses. John Roberts is buried at Llanrhos Churchyard. When he died, Kings Road Llandudno was in the ecclesiastical parish of Llanrhos. The parish boundary between Llandudno and Llanrhos has since been realigned along Vaughan Street and the railway tracks.

He has an additional sentiment on his headstone "O REST IN THE LORD". His grave is registered with the CWGC because he died before the end of August 1920 which was the cut-off date for deaths attributable to war service. I can confirm that he is the John Roberts remembered on the Llandudno War Memorial and on the marble tablets in the Memorial Chapel, Holy Trinity Church.

You can read my research on this soldier here: http://llandudno-parish.org.uk/wordpress/extra/the-great-war/r/roberts-john

Andy

Offline Ger

« Reply #741 on: November 15, 2017, 02:20:55 pm »
Thanks Andy and Hugo, I've let both Jane B and Emma P know that there have been updates on this thread.

Ger.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #742 on: November 15, 2017, 02:23:06 pm »
Thanks Ger,   I believe that Jane may have the info to help Mull in his research for the Jones family at Tan Y Wal in Penrhynside       $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #743 on: November 15, 2017, 02:34:32 pm »
Thanks Typandy,  it was nice reading that article on John Roberts.    When I took a photo of the headstone I didn't see the additional sentiment which must be at the bottom of the headstone,

Offline Typandy

« Reply #744 on: November 15, 2017, 03:09:31 pm »
If the sentiment is not on the stone, it should be.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #745 on: November 15, 2017, 04:08:10 pm »
It is on the headstone Typandy and at the bottom of it.    I went to the Lawn Cemetery at Llanrhos today as it would have been my Father's birthday and after paying my respects there, I went to see the grave of John Roberts in the Churchyard.

I'm afraid that the cemetery there has become overgrown but I found John's grave and took some photos of it.  There was a remembrance Poppy  on the grave just as there was with the other soldiers graves