Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 199763 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 05:44:54 pm »
It's quite easy  Emma, you don't need to be a member at all.    All that you have to do is ring the bell and they will ask you to sign the register ( name and date) and just tell them what you are looking for and they will help you.

Quiggs has just reminded me of something. They have street indexes there for 1911, 1914, 1922,1926, 1929 and 1939.  These street indexes list the main breadwinner at each property but they also list the person in alphabetical order too so that makes them easy to locate ( just in case they have moved or you don't know any address)  I forgot about looking there but in any case it wouldn't have given any info about the burial.
We did look at Ancestry too but there were over 100,000 John Roberts' to look at.   :o

You have mentioned that one of John Roberts' sons was buried in the same grave. Do you have the name of the son and approximate  year of death?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 06:02:30 pm »
That's great  stuff Suepp but I'm wondering if this John Roberts is actually the son of the John Roberts who got married in 1906.
The reason I'm thinking this is that Emma's G Grandfather was in World War I  and a John Roberts is listed on the plaque on the Cenotaph, so he must have died soon after the war finished.
What I was looking for was a John Roberts who would have been old enough to enlist and fight in the war.  I discounted other John Roberts' because of this but there were a number of other John Roberts listed in the Archives who were too young to fight in the WW I.   
I've got a coffee morning in Llandudno tomorrow so I'll have another look.   It's possible that both John Roberts will appear on the 1911 census records too and that will give the Grandfather's age at 1911.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 06:34:48 pm »
Hi Emma
Took a walk in thegraveyard this morning and there are plenty of the Roberts family at the top end of the Civil Cemetery, hadn't the details with me, but there are plenty to look at--- Good Luck.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline emma p

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 08:08:55 pm »
WOW this is amazing guys....lets see if i can give you a bit more....
I have a copy of Richard Roberts birth cert. which was sent for in 1923 to enable him to work. He would have been 14. The story goes that as his father had died and he was the eldest he had to go to the midlands and find work. Apparently riding his bike all the way !!
This is signed by his mother Annie. So we know that his father John had died by now.
I also have a marriage for 1906 with a question mark.....so i would say this was them  :)
Does Alexandra Road run into Kings road ??? Both 26 ? (on this birth cert)
Ive just rooted out a photograh id forgotten about.....a picture of two of Richard Roberts sisters named   Betty ( Blodwyn )(whom which my mother was supposed to be named after, but they named her Gwynneth instead !) and Lillian.
I also have two photographs of John Roberts in his army uniform.....would they be able to identify the regiment from this picture at the archives ??
Also a photo of Annie and her mother !!! Lord only know what her name was. They are both wearing very victorian clothing and sitting in the back garden of what looks like a terrace house.....presumably Alexandra road.
I have no idea what Richards brother was named(the one buried with his father) sorry.
Think thats pretty much all i know.....ill bring these pics with me, also one of Richard as  a baby. Dont think i dare bring birth cert as its in pieces. Would laminating it be a good or bad idea ?? bad i would imagine.
Cant wait to get there now and have look for myself.  $thanx$ $walesflag$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 08:21:25 pm »
would the commonwealth war graves website be of help to you? http://bit.ly/pVnnSr

Offline Trojan

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 04:52:18 am »
Does Alexandra Road run into Kings road ???

Yes. They started construction on Kings Road in 1920.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 03:48:05 pm »

In actual fact Kings Road was started before 1920.  I'm afraid that the John Roberts at 28 Alexandra Road is a red herring and is not your relative.  I called again at the Conwy Archives and this is the info I have found:-
John Roberts, Annie Roberts and Richard Roberts all lived at 26 Kings Road Llandudno and this is shown on the 1911 census. Their ages at the time were 26,27 and 2 respectively.
John's occupation was given as a labourer.
This was also confirmed by the Street Indexes I looked at for the years 1911 and 1914.  The next Street Index they have is for 1922 and at that time the person listed as living at No 26 Kings Road is Geo Lines.
I could see not see your John Roberts or Annie Roberts in the Alphabetical list of people living in the town so could they have moved away?
I again looked at other Burial Records for Llandudno and although a John Roberts was there for 1919 it was not your ancestor. Is it possible that John was his middle name and he had a first name?
Sorry I couldn't find out any more and when I went to take a photo of 26 Kings Road that house appears to have gone too and there is just a lawned area where No 26 should have been.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 07:24:55 am »

In actual fact Kings Road was started before 1920.

The Kings Road council housing scheme is commemorated on a plaque low down on the wall of 35 Kings Road, inscribed: "Llandudno Housing Scheme 1920. This stone was laid by Mrs. D. Lloyd George, the wife of the Prime Minister, 8 October 1920"

Here's footage from Pathe News:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=17526

When was Kings Road actually started then and which houses would they be?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 09:02:50 am »
Sorry Trojan but I can't help you there, perhaps one of the old West Shore Arabs like Micox might know more.   If you look at the street view of Kings Road on Google you will see a patch of grass where once a few terraced houses had been (including No 26) did anything happen in the street such as a fire or explosion?  It must have been bad to warrant the houses to be demolished.
Here's a copy of the 1911 census and the address is just visible top left of my photo

Interesting clip of Mrs Lloyd George and judging from the background it was certaily taken from the area around Kings Road but where exactly I don't know.

Offline emma p

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 09:48:23 am »
Wow this is truly amazing......all these years and we have been driving past the wrong house thinking this is where grandad lived.(we thought 26 alexandra road).
That picture of records is a huge suprise too......never did i imagine annie roberts was born in wednesbury.....its about 10miles away from me....an absolute revelation !! this was never mentioned in our family. The big bonus is to have annie and johns dates of birth.
You are all brilliant to have found all this out for me.
I can only imagine that when john roberts died(must have been pre 1923) annie was left with the children (Richard,,a brother and two sisters,Blodwyn and Lillian,only ones i know of) and that was the reason Richard was sent to wednesbury to find work aged 14. They were a very poor family.
Obviously Richard was sent to wednesbury because there was a family connection which we never knew about.
I cannot wait to go and visit Kings Road !!!
Ive just spoken to my dad who said as far as he can remember Lillian and Blodwynn also moved to wednesbury.
My mom (Richards daughter) would know more but she died 5years ago. As children we were always told the 'Llandudno stories' by nan and grandad and i was always interested but since losing mom my interest has grown.
I also have John roberts down as a labourer so this is definately them......where was this record found ? I'll be going for a look myself for sure.
Must look further into Annie Roberts......she has amazed me !!!!
Thanks so much. Gonna ring my sister now with the news.  ;D

Offline emma p

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 10:20:42 am »
Me again.....just wondering, if john,annie and richard were living in Kings road in 1911 but that film was in 1920 and construction didnt start till around then, how does that work ???? would they have been living in old houses that were demolished to build new ones ??
Would love to know what happened to them like you say an explosion or something.
Richard was definately working in wednesbury by 1923 and im wondering now if annie followed him with the other kids later and thats why theres no later record of them living in Llanduno.
Obviously, now knowing she was born in wednesbury, she would still have had family there and with them now having no father and no income and loads of kids you would i suppose go back home ?
My brain is now going into overdrive !!! Im sitting on the computer surrounded by birth, death certificates etc, my 5yr old is trashing the house and im supposed to be getting stuff done and cases packed ready for saturday but this is just sooooo fascinating !!!
speak soon.  $thanx$

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 10:59:01 am »
Not sure if this is any help, but in the 1901 census preceding Alexandra Road is "Alexandra Terrace" of approx 36 houses which could be the area of Kings Road. Can't find any reference to it in "The Streets of Llandudno" and the Kings Road entry only refers to the plaque. I know Jubilee Street was built for"The Llandudno Buildings and Workman's Dwellings Co. Ltd."

Offline Trojan

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 11:11:26 am »
Not sure if this is any help, but in the 1901 census preceding Alexandra Road is "Alexandra Terrace" of approx 36 houses which could be the area of Kings Road. Can't find any reference to it in "The Streets of Llandudno" and the Kings Road entry only refers to the plaque. I know Jubilee Street was built for"The Llandudno Buildings and Workman's Dwellings Co. Ltd."

I've just been looking at an OS map from 1901 Sue and there's no houses shown in the Kings/Alexandra Road area at all. The nearest houses shown are the houses in Winllan Avenue.

PS. You probably already know, Jubilee Street was originally called Warehouse Street.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 11:33:00 am »
Having said that however, it must be remembered that there's two different housing types in Kings Road. There's the two story type (shown) and also the taller three story houses (couldn't find a pic).

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 11:40:42 am »
The 1901 census lists Alexandra Road and Alexandra Terrace, probably the street now known just as Alexandra Road. nos 1-32 Warehouse Street were named Jubilee Terrace to Commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. Warehouse Street was so called until 1910.
The conundrum here is that Kings Road appears in the 1911 census, the foundation stone for the new housing scheme was laid in 1920