Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2643540 times)

Offline Moelycrio

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7425 on: April 07, 2017, 08:49:34 pm »
Interestingly, we've noticed quite a few sleeping in doorways over the last couple of weeks.

:-X Now I wonder what is attracting them to the area ? :-X
Pinching chips from seagulls? Victorian architecture? Begging from tourists? Help me out here.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7426 on: April 12, 2017, 12:48:28 pm »
Gridlock on lower Mostyn St as Mostyn Broadway closed. All traffic being diverted onto the Prom.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7427 on: April 12, 2017, 03:38:38 pm »
Gridlock on lower Mostyn St as Mostyn Broadway closed. All traffic being diverted onto the Prom.

There's rumours that the Tudno Castle is in trouble, either in danger of falling down, or needing to be demolished for safety reasons.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7428 on: April 12, 2017, 05:04:09 pm »
There's rumours that the Tudno Castle is in trouble, either in danger of falling down, or needing to be demolished for safety reasons.

Now there's a surprise (not!).

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #7429 on: April 12, 2017, 06:53:47 pm »
It wouldn't be that they have unstable foundations and it's NOT VIABLE to keep the facade, is it?       :o       &shake&

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-gridlock-llandudno-fears-building-12885562

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7430 on: April 13, 2017, 03:31:51 pm »
I drove past the front of the Tudno Castle this morning and the traffic was being diverted down Mostyn Street, presumably as far the roundabout outside the Carlton and then back up again.

I don't know for sure because I eventually drove up Clomnel Street onto the promenade.

Anyway, we have just returned from a walk into town and it seems the cones have since been suspiciously removed but the diversion sign is still there.

As a result, the traffic is no longer going down Mostyn Street (unless they have to) resulting in the traffic queuing from down Mostyn Street to exit Llandudno because nobody is monitoring the problem.

Nobody is working at the Tudno Castle any longer and there are no supports holding up the side of the former hotel.

Whoever has decided the former hotel is unsafe must have decided that those in the Fortes Ice Cream Parlour, the Broadway Hotel and Lloyds Pharmacy are all ok.

Interesting!!

Anyway, it is chaos.

With the Easter weekend now upon us and the Victoria Extravaganza only a fortnight away, this issue needs resolving as soon as possible.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7431 on: April 13, 2017, 03:42:25 pm »
I was in Llandudno early this morning Bri and the traffic was bad. I parked in Augusta Street and then drove back to Colwyn Bay.  Crossing over from Trinity Square to Clonmel Street took ages and I was just glad to be going home.     I dread to think what Easter will be like for everyone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-39587256

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7432 on: April 13, 2017, 03:46:11 pm »
Hugo, I wouldn't want to be staying on the top floor of the Broadway Hotel this weekend and I certainly wouldn't recommend an ice cream sundae sitting outside Fortes for the foreseeable future.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7433 on: April 13, 2017, 03:56:34 pm »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/traffic-chaos-llandudno-amid-fears-12887384

The road was due to be closed next week anyway so has just been brought forward by a few days. Work is supposed to be completed by 25 April.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7434 on: April 13, 2017, 04:11:31 pm »
Just tackled the prom as far as the roundabout by the sailing club to get to the vets. Kept out of town, but the prom was chaos with coaches and people unable to reverse into a parking space. My Oh went into Mostyn Champneys this a.m. early and all was ok, but at 10 am the prom was jammed. no hope for the weekend !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7435 on: April 13, 2017, 04:19:53 pm »
I came down the Prom today Nemesis and cars and buses were parked on the road but so was a builders lorry that was double parked and causing chaos.
The orange lights on the vehicle were flashing but as we passed him all we could see was the guy on the phone.  I couldn't get out of the town quick enough.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7436 on: April 13, 2017, 04:27:42 pm »
Hugo, I wouldn't want to be staying on the top floor of the Broadway Hotel this weekend and I certainly wouldn't recommend an ice cream sundae sitting outside Fortes for the foreseeable future.

After about 8 years of non activity and promises to start the work before Christmas it's ironic that the problem was only found now.  Just imagine how someone would feel that had pre-booked the Broadway Hotel for this coming week.       :rage:
Safety is paramount though but I can feel another planning application is on its way to CCBC  and I wonder how many times the word "viable" will appear in it

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7437 on: April 13, 2017, 05:18:58 pm »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/large-part-llandudno-landmark-hotel-12890227

Two thirds of the façade cannot be saved so it will be demolished and rebuilt.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7438 on: April 13, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
That's two thirds on Mostyn Broadway that will have to be demolished  but will the facade on Vaughan Street and the one third on Mostyn Broadway be viable to be saved?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7439 on: April 13, 2017, 07:25:20 pm »
I noticed the entrance porch at the top of the steps on Vaughan Street had already been removed a few days ago, Hugo, so I assume it has been taken away for renovation.