Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2655980 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7680 on: August 11, 2017, 09:03:11 am »
  It's my belief that undesirable behaviour would become an issue if alcohol consumption was legitimised, encouraged even, once again.

2+2= 456788

Fester and I had a drink  Z** (many)
In a tent on Conwy Quay last year for their food festival.

That tent isn't there any more but I've never felt the need to turn up in the empty space, crack open a bottle of Jack Daniels and smash the place up, nor has anybody else in the world and nor would they. Why do you think your park is any different? It's a lovely park and I appreciate volunteers work hard on it,  but I think a lot of you are blowing the whole thing way out of proportion. I think they'd be less objections if Bez from the Happy Mondays applied for a licence to host an acid festival in the Vatican City.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #7681 on: August 11, 2017, 09:09:15 am »
Tom, had you attended the public meeting in CyD Community Centre on Wednesday evening, I feel you would currently have a different opinion.

Have you thought about asking the organisers why they have not considered Bodafon Fields in CyD for their event and if so, why did they discount it?

I am fairly neutral on the subject but during the 36 years I have lived in CyD, I have seen many successful events held on Bodafon Fields including many Llandudno Carnivals, Donkey Derbies, Transport Festivals, Caravan Club Rallies and Jazz Festivals to name but a few.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7682 on: August 11, 2017, 09:27:07 am »
and once again the focus has gone away from the main issue.

Why apply for a 5 day all year round licence ?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7683 on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:30 am »
I can't tell if you're being serious born2run? Why does everyone seem to think this will lead to vandalising? It hasn't anywhere else.

Deadly serious Tom, I've heard this is going to be the next Woodstock. People off their heads and naked everywhere and 100,000 delinquents descending on Craig Y Don park. WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN  &shake&

Now we know he's not being serious.   _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7684 on: August 11, 2017, 10:01:54 am »

Some FAQs

Do you think they are going to have a beer tent there 5 days a year all year round?

No because it would get broken into

Do you think they are going to build a permanent pub there?

No because they wouldn't get planning permission

Do you think if they did sell beer there 5 days a year all year round they'd make any money?

nope, because it would be dead like all the other pubs in town

Offline Dave

« Reply #7685 on: August 11, 2017, 10:14:26 am »

Some FAQs

Do you think they are going to have a beer tent there 5 days a year all year round?

Do you think if they did sell beer there 5 days a year all year round they'd make any money?

Lets keep the debate sensible, incidentally where do you live?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7686 on: August 11, 2017, 10:21:19 am »
I can't tell if you're being serious born2run? Why does everyone seem to think this will lead to vandalising? It hasn't anywhere else.

Deadly serious Tom, I've heard this is going to be the next Woodstock. People off their heads and naked everywhere and 100,000 delinquents descending on Craig Y Don park. WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN  &shake&

Naked Eh?   When do the tickets go on sale?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7687 on: August 11, 2017, 10:26:32 am »

Some FAQs

Lets keep the debate sensible, incidentally where do you live?

Not far away and I'm also a member of the croquet club across the road, so like you, it's not my desire to see lots of rampaging youths off their head on substances either as they may spoil our lawn.

Also why are my points not sensible? You asked why they applied for a 5 day licence all year round and I told you why they would have neither intention or ability to host this event for more than one day, but still you won't listen to reason.

I would imagine the reason they applied for said licence is flexibility.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7688 on: August 11, 2017, 10:32:17 am »
Sarcasm and stupid comments are really not what this discussion needs; it trivialises and shows contempt for the real and justified concerns of local council tax paying residents and those volunteers who maintain the park. The event in Menai Bridge is held in a retail area, not in a volunteer maintained park.

The park would be mangled by a food slam, purely by the attendee numbers, let alone the rubbish and the commercial food units trails. Having seen these events in parks, I can categorically say that it takes at least twelve months for the parks to recover.

I have to ask the obvious question - why not hold it on the prom?   

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7689 on: August 11, 2017, 10:56:30 am »
Sarcasm and stupid comments are really not what this discussion needs; it trivialises and shows contempt for the real and justified concerns of local council tax paying residents and those volunteers who maintain the park. The event in Menai Bridge is held in a retail area, not in a volunteer maintained park.

The park would be mangled by a food slam, purely by the attendee numbers, let alone the rubbish and the commercial food units trails. Having seen these events in parks, I can categorically say that it takes at least twelve months for the parks to recover.

I have to ask the obvious question - why not hold it on the prom?

No food and drinks are allowed to be sold on the prom because of council regulations.

That was quick  $good$

Offline Dave

« Reply #7690 on: August 11, 2017, 10:58:45 am »
If we are talking the Food Slam why not on the prom? Right opposite Dylan's to give them maximum publicity for the event would make good sense.Currently there is a ban on alcohol in CYD park as well as the prom.They just need to change the licence application.

You don't need a 5 day year round licence to give maximum flexibility for one Food Slam event. It has to be a plan for more of the same or similar. The big concern is that the park becomes utilised on a regular basis for commercial gain and not necessarily for the benefit for the local community.
The low key events that have previously taken place have been to raise money for the upkeep and improvement of the park. Why the need to suddenly increase the profile when it's not necessary is the concern of local residents.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7691 on: August 11, 2017, 11:12:35 am »
I think the points made by Bosun are extremely valid ones too. Queens Park is extremely sensitive to flooding. The park could be easily turned into a quagmire with heavy trailers being towed out after unexpected rain. I have been to a few hundreds outdoor events and seen it happen all too often, it takes the ground many months to recover rendering it unfit for use in the meantime.
What then for the local community?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7692 on: August 11, 2017, 11:19:15 am »
If we are talking the Food Slam why not on the prom? Right opposite Dylan's to give them maximum publicity for the event would make good sense.Currently there is a ban on alcohol in CYD park as well as the prom.They just need to change the licence application.

You don't need a 5 day year round licence to give maximum flexibility for one Food Slam event. It has to be a plan for more of the same or similar. The big concern is that the park becomes utilised on a regular basis for commercial gain and not necessarily for the benefit for the local community.
The low key events that have previously taken place have been to raise money for the upkeep and improvement of the park. Why the need to suddenly increase the profile when it's not necessary is the concern of local residents.

I just said - no food and drink is allowed to be sold on the prom. Wouldn't be much of a food festival would it?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7693 on: August 11, 2017, 11:26:45 am »

I just said - no food and drink is allowed to be sold on the prom. Wouldn't be much of a food festival would it?

Good for the waistline though.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #7694 on: August 11, 2017, 01:14:09 pm »
The notice in the park now reads that a planned event, "Storm the Orme" is planned for the 7th October finishing at 10.00pm. You can't get more specific than that if a single event is being applied for.
Not sure what part of that is a food festival, we'll wait and see.