Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2611843 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7710 on: August 12, 2017, 12:50:07 pm »
We are big supporters of (proper) food fairs, they are excellent venues for artisan producers and small buisness to build up trade, but the CyD park is categorically the wrong place to hold one. Locally, there are a multitude of suitable venues; West Shore, Conwy Quay, Bodofan Fields, RSPB, to name but a few, without ruining a volunteer maintained park.

And even you must admit that the Tudno Hotel coming down at last is a good thing to enable things to move on.

Partake, and return rejoicing. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #7711 on: August 12, 2017, 02:49:01 pm »
Mr David Evans of Dylan's time might be better spent getting Dylan's restaurant itself up to an acceptable level. Most of our chums have been there and I've yet to hear a comment better than 'average', some have been very critical indeed, certainly nothing to entice us to visit. I'm getting the impression that the management are not actually bothered as long as they are getting the through-put; the fact that most of their local customers would not return or recommend Dylan's seems of no consequence to them. This half-baked idea of a food-slam in the park also shows how out of touch they are with local opinion.

Hollins appears to have tried the place ( see another thread), but as I commented it looks very quiet and reading between the lines she didn't seem to rave about it.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7712 on: August 12, 2017, 02:52:29 pm »
I really don't think that the Tudno Castle being demolished is a good thing, no.

Because it's a beautiful frontage, and more importantly it's another example of developers LYING in their intentions, usually in order to throw up a cheap and lucrative 'disposable' building.

Here we forgotten the Alice in Wonderland house debacle with Anwyl, and the vandalism of Colwyn Bay Pier so soon?

I thing it's sad, and cynical.... and entirely predictable.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #7713 on: August 12, 2017, 03:18:22 pm »
Story written this morning on Craig y Don Food Slam being scrapped: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/plans-food-slam-llandudno-park-13467261

Craig Y Don NIMBYs win again!

Quite sad really, but there'll be a few smug people on here, delighted that they have stopped something happening rather than creating something.

Nothing smug about trying to prevent our park being taken over for commercial gain, the park damaged and the peace and tranquility of a residential area being disturbed on a regular basis.
There is an alcohol ban in place for the park so that idea is a non starter anyway but the main reason everyone was in uproar wasn't about a single event it was the open ended 5 day application and Gorjys have demonstrated their intentions by refusing to modify it to a single one.
As already stated there are lots of places that are more suitable and where damage to the ground would be of less importance too and Craig-y-Don Park would certainly suffer severe damage in the wetter months.... which actually could be any time of year.
So no, I don't feel in the least bit smug, but I do feel relieved that so far, the park remains safe. As for stopping something being created that is absolutely not the case, it's just been rescheduled for a different venue at a different time of the year.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7714 on: August 12, 2017, 05:21:20 pm »
some GOOD news to report, such as Mr Waldron getting permission to actually CREATE something.

Surely not the current god-awful proposals to ruin the pier?

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7715 on: August 12, 2017, 05:21:55 pm »
Tudno Castle is coming down, Gwyn Jones of You Know You are From Llandudno Facebook page  reported an application has been submitted to demolish as it's in too poor a condition to retain.

Any official word on whether or not Premier Inn has withdrawn from the project?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7716 on: August 12, 2017, 08:46:04 pm »
some GOOD news to report, such as Mr Waldron getting permission to actually CREATE something.

Surely not the current god-awful proposals to ruin the pier?

Yes, let's get on with it!
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7717 on: August 14, 2017, 10:15:10 am »
Story written this morning on Craig y Don Food Slam being scrapped: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/plans-food-slam-llandudno-park-13467261

Craig Y Don NIMBYs win again!

Quite sad really, but there'll be a few smug people on here, delighted that they have stopped something happening rather than creating something.

Well locals - cross October 7th off your diaries I'm afraid that's just going to be just like every other Saturday in Llandudno.

These people have won

"Trudging slowly over wet sand
Back to the bench where your clothes were stolen
This is the coastal town
That they forgot to close down
Armageddon, come Armageddon!
Come, Armageddon! Come!
Everyday is like Sunday
Everyday is silent and grey
Hide on the promenade
Etch a postcard :
"How I Dearly Wish I Was Not Here"
In the seaside town
That they forgot to bomb
Come, come, come, nuclear bomb"

Offline TELL

« Reply #7718 on: August 14, 2017, 05:27:38 pm »
Cheer up B2R, it's a big day for you on Wednesday, The Bhoys just might get lucky against Astana, and you might get lucky at the Croquet Club Annual Competition Finals! Fingers firmly crossed for you!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7719 on: August 15, 2017, 09:17:33 am »
Cheer up B2R, it's a big day for you on Wednesday, The Bhoys just might get lucky against Astana, and you might get lucky at the Croquet Club Annual Competition Finals! Fingers firmly crossed for you!

Thanks Tell, I think Celtic will win if they don't they need a serious shake up. But sadly I only made it as far as the Quarter Finals in the croquet this year so I will not be competing in the finals :'(

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7720 on: August 15, 2017, 01:14:38 pm »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7721 on: August 15, 2017, 02:40:09 pm »

Thanks Tell, I think Celtic will win if they don't they need a serious shake up. But sadly I only made it as far as the Quarter Finals in the croquet this year so I will not be competing in the finals :'(

Was the quarter final and the first round one and the same thing?  :laugh:
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7722 on: August 15, 2017, 02:48:29 pm »

Was the quarter final and the first round one and the same thing?  :laugh:

:rage:

No - two rounds before that thank you.

Good mind to turn up at the Llandudno darts open and show you a thing or two. Venue Cymru is a great venue for this year  $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7723 on: August 20, 2017, 11:17:45 am »
The DP has done a piece on our Town Crier, Billy Baxter, with a few surprises I was not aware of, quite a remarkable man.

Meet the Llandudno biker who wants to break the 200mph barrier ... and he's blind
Billy Baxter, 53, broke the world speed record for blind motorcycle riding 14 years ago and now he wants to go one better.
Billy, 53, Llandudno’s town crier, has worked for the Blind Veterans UK charity for 16 years and holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest blindfolded motorcycle ride in history.

The former soldier with the 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery lost his sight after contracting a rare virus while exhuming bodies from mass graves in Bosnia in 1997.

As well as being the only blind town crier in the UK, he has been on Top Gear completing a lap in a reasonably priced car while beating Richard Whiteley and Sir Terry Wogan’s times.

In 2012 he carried the Olympic Torch and ran the London Marathon.

He skis, drives, fishes and rode a lap on his bike at Donington Park Grand Prix circuit.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/meet-llandudno-biker-who-wants-13483512

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7724 on: August 20, 2017, 11:25:44 am »
Thanks for posting that Steve. I had no idea.
I can only imagine that losing your sight is the most horrific thing possible, but to lose it in those terribly unfair circumstances... well,
Fester...