Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613244 times)

Online Ian

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7860 on: November 05, 2017, 02:44:42 pm »
Those hoping for the Llanfairfechan display were disappointed ,when the tide swamped the fireworks.  Now, if we think Llandudno TC and CCBC are idiots, let's see how Llanfairfechan managed to site their display where it would get swamped by the tide:

"Mayor Delohne Merrell said they were sorry to those who had turned out.
“At this point we need to sit down as a town council and talk about what has happened,” she said, which qualifies as the understatement of the year. Now, it was a high tide - one of the highest, in fact - but it was accurately forecast.

Cllr Merrell said she was not fully aware of what had happened (someone messed up), but said she believed the mixture of heavy rain (?) and a faster-than-expected high tide led to the fireworks being destroyed.

Well, the high tide came in at the predicted rate and time, while Wrexham-based Festival Fireworks' owner, who had provided the display, put their company owner forward to explain.

"Brian Davies, the company owner, said: “We were told the times of the low tide, but found out afterwards there was a spring tide."

But the spring tide was also forecast. As some locals said "Should have been one: it had all been set up on the beach ready for the off, then the tide came in.”

Now, tides are very, very predictable, even at times of severe depressions, which there wasn't on November 4th. The fireworks company didn't check with the Wirral observatory, who would have explained everything for the cost of a single phone call. Alternatively, tide timetables are available online and from a lot of local shops .

Wonder who's being held responsible?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #7861 on: November 05, 2017, 03:25:47 pm »
Wonder who's being held responsible?

Obviously it will be someone else.

I expect they would have had to carry out all sorts of Risk Assessments - ticking boxes with little thought.

Common sense is something in very short supply these days, especially amongst those who are entrusted to do things.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7862 on: November 05, 2017, 03:35:48 pm »
*Common sense is something in very short supply these days, especially amongst those who are entrusted to do things.*     
The lack of common sense usually escalates when its other peoples money on the line.  $angry$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7863 on: November 05, 2017, 05:01:21 pm »
I seem to remember an organised sand castle competition on the North Shore Beach  at Llandudno not too long ago.      It was arranged for 2.00 pm one afternoon, just about the same time as the high tide in Llandudno.       ???

It was cancelled at very short notice.      :-}}}

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7864 on: November 06, 2017, 09:45:24 am »
Crumbling Llandudno pavements need businesses' help for £3m repair project, says council

The local authority hope to replace the cracked and broken pavements along Mostyn Street, but face huge costs and ownership issues.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/crumbling-llandudno-pavements-need-businesses-13841407

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7865 on: November 08, 2017, 09:14:17 am »
Crumbling Llandudno pavements need businesses' help for £3m repair project, says council

The local authority hope to replace the cracked and broken pavements along Mostyn Street, but face huge costs and ownership issues.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/crumbling-llandudno-pavements-need-businesses-13841407
I laughed when i read this. £3,000,000 to replace paving stones along one street. Is no-one at CCBC able to realise when they are being taken for a ride?

The full report is here, I see they have already spent £7,000 on 'design fees'.  :laugh:
https://tinyurl.com/yd8m6vvo

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7866 on: November 13, 2017, 12:03:25 pm »
Thinking about the plan to replace the Mostyn Street pavements, I'm reminded that there has still been no progress on replacing the ancient street lighting along Mostyn Street. The present system of high pressure sodium floodlighting attached to buildings dates from the early 1970s and is life expired, with large areas of the street in semi-darkness - an extraordinary situation for one of the busiest streets in the County. When so many relatively minor roads in the area have been upgraded to the latest LED lighting, why has Mostyn Street been overlooked?

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7867 on: November 14, 2017, 11:13:33 am »
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7868 on: November 14, 2017, 11:24:00 am »
Blow for Llandudno's town centre: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/marks-spencer-ms-llandudno-close-13899825
This line makes me laugh:
"If the move goes ahead it will be viewed as a huge blow to the town centre, which has struggled in recent years."
How has it struggled? It has one of the lowest shop vacancy rates in the UK! Really poor journalism...

I think a lot of people expected the satellite store to close, it was never busy and they didnt even bother having a manned till upstairs.

The planned closure of the main store does come as a surprise, as it is always very busy. I'm at a loss to see how it can relocate to Parc Llandudno when food retailing is not permitted there - maybe nobody has told M&S that? Not to mention the lack of a suitable unit that is anywhere near big enough. The whole plan doesn't make a lot of sense!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7869 on: November 14, 2017, 11:41:36 am »
*The whole plan doesn't make a lot of sense!*

I agree,  I cannot understand their thinking, the food hall is a gold mine, I live near the No12 bus route, which is constantly used just for M&S food shopping,  I cannot see these people going to Parc Llandudno.

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #7870 on: November 14, 2017, 11:57:11 am »
They are planning to build a eco-friendly large store in the town with ample parking. What is not to like.
There will be two holes to fill in a very vibrant high street built at least M&S aren't leaving the town like Rhyl. Waitrose perhaps !!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7871 on: November 14, 2017, 12:04:21 pm »
They are planning to build a eco-friendly large store in the town with ample parking. What is not to like.
..and where are they building this store?!

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7872 on: November 14, 2017, 12:15:57 pm »
Many of the town centre shop owners have consistently argued that they struggle - every year for as long as I can remember.  I agree that it's one of the healthiest town centres, but perhaps the shop owners who have spent so long complaining are at least in part responsible for the headline?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7873 on: November 14, 2017, 01:54:59 pm »
Marks & Spencer relocation to Parc Llandudno opposed by Mostyn Estates...which owns freehold on the site.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/marks--spencer-relocation-parc-13900792

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7874 on: November 14, 2017, 04:40:54 pm »
Mostyn Estates will have to be very careful otherwise M&S will leave Llandudno altogether. Not sure where there's much space in Parc Llandudno for an M&S store though unless it'll be at the back of the redeveloped Tudno Hotel.