Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614535 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1125 on: June 05, 2011, 07:12:46 pm »
:P Oscar has really ripped into CCBC over their neglect of Llandudno,good reading. :laugh:
I'll go and have a look and report back.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1126 on: June 05, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »
I've read Oscar's post and...don't really agree with all of it.

The fact is Llandudno is busier than it has been for many years. I've been told that certain Hoteliers have already taken more money this year than they did all last Season. There is no shortage of people visiting the town.

So..what are Llandudno's problems?

1) Large number of empty shops - A UK wide problem. High rent, high rates, chain retailers going out of business, growth of Internet sales are the reasons why. Only a combination of lower Rent & Rates can revitalise the main shopping streets.

2) Lack of tourist attractions/facilities - Llandudno has slowly lost a few attractions over the years and they have not been replaced. We need more indoor attractions, especially ones suitable for families with young children. Public spaces like Happy Valley are woefully underused - the dead hand of CCBC is responsible.

3) Decline in maintenance of public areas - a particular bugbear of mine. Broken pavements, unpainted railings, flowerbeds grassed over - all small things in themselves but which all add up to give an impression to visitors of a town in decline, a town with no civic pride. We must never forget that visitors always have the choice about where they can go for a break and a tatty seaside town will result in them going somewhere else next time.

4) Increasing visitor accommodation expectations not being met - Hotels like the Clarence and Tudno Castle Hotel gave up the ghost because of lack of investment over the years resulted in an accommodation experience that was less than appealing. Visitors are used to high standards in their own homes these days and will not accept anything less when on holiday. Llandudno Hotels need to raise their game.

Lastly, a question. I was walking along the Promenade this morning and musing to myself how little we hear from Llandudno Hoteliers on the decline in some aspects of the town. If my lifeblood was a Llandudno hotel, I would be raising hell about CCBC's treatment of the town. Yet we hear very little?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1127 on: June 05, 2011, 08:01:03 pm »
It is a typical British trait NOT to complain.   ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1128 on: June 05, 2011, 08:02:48 pm »
It is a typical British trait NOT to complain.   ;)
...and look where it's got them.  ;)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1129 on: June 05, 2011, 08:48:45 pm »
Absolutely!   I get told off by the Mrs for complaining too much!   :rage:
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1130 on: June 05, 2011, 09:08:06 pm »
. I was walking along the Promenade this morning and musing to myself how little we hear from Llandudno Hoteliers on the decline in some aspects of the town. If my lifeblood was a Llandudno hotel, I would be raising hell about CCBC's treatment of the town. Yet we hear very little?

Try the backlash-- it's not good !
Direct to the council --fine.
Public complaints-- ouch !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1131 on: June 05, 2011, 09:41:45 pm »
One would think that the Llandudno Town Council would do something about it by constantly lobbying the County Council.    Unfortunately all the Town Councillors are interested in is their little insignificant "enterprises".   Read the minutes in the Library and see exactly what they say and do.   Lots of small talk and precious little action.   The whole lot need sacking!     $angry$

Forgot, there are a few Town Councillors who are also County Councillors with a direct line to the County!  One is now even an Assembly Member, wonder how effective she is going to be?    L0L
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1132 on: June 05, 2011, 10:26:49 pm »
This is what I contributed on Oscar, on this subject.

''Why would areas such as Bodafon Fields be required to be developed? When there are perfectly good commercial sites crying out to have attractions built on them.
West Shore and The Pier Pavilion site could house fabulous 'Disney Quest' or Blackpool 'Sandcastle' type attractions.
Llandudno is not short of ideas, nor places to site them... it is short of willpower and a management team capable of making them happen''.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1133 on: June 06, 2011, 09:29:35 am »
One Campsite would be great, not talking about a great big commercial site, but one with a decent shower block and small clubhouse and shop would do. The site of the Gogarth Abbey would be ideal!

Offline hollins

« Reply #1134 on: June 06, 2011, 07:38:30 pm »
What's Llandudno like right now? This post is not entirely accurate as this is about my day out to Llandudno earlier today!

I had a lovely day out today in Llandudno. It started off by picking up the glass from Builder Street West. I found someone called Jason but he had never heard of the forum or Trojan so sorry about that Trojan but I did try!
I then decided to visit Haulfre Gardens which I have never been to before. I had seen Dave R’s
photos of the place on flickr. Fester had warned me that they didn’t look as good now but I was still quite shocked at the state that they have been allowed to get in to.
I made a mistake in thinking they were near the Happy Valley gardens so I started there. I walked past the cable car station and on up past the ski slope on to the rocks overlooking the bay.
What a magnificent view from up there and it was so beautifully clear today.
Then I descended the hill past the donkeys and still looking for the gardens I walked up the hill following the signs to Mike’s golf course. It was fascinating walking past all the things I read about on the forum! The tram driver gave me a lovely smile when I took his photo!
I thought I would ask Mike where the gardens were but unfortunately his sign said, “Lunchtime, back at 2.15”.
I walked back down the hill and asked a council worker and he showed me a nice path across the tops which came down in to the gardens. What incredible views from there. How in this world can they let this amazing place deteriorate like that!
I read on a posting recently from Dave R how infuriated he is with the council for letting brickwork and paintwork become shabby. I saw exactly what he meant today (see last two photos).
I had a nice lunch sat outside at the tearoom.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1135 on: June 06, 2011, 07:41:36 pm »
A couple of negative photos but I hope someone from the council is looking in. This is what a first time visitor saw at the gardens today.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1136 on: June 06, 2011, 08:00:39 pm »
Well, it sounds as though you had quite a pleasant day out!  :)

Haulfre Gardens is in a poor state and is almost embarrassing. As you say, a wonderful location, but spoilt by the lack of maintenance to both the gardens and the shelters within. Happy Valley is a lot better but still nowhere near as good as it could be.  :(

The good old days...

[smg id=2365]

[smg id=1401]

[smg id=1302]

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1137 on: June 07, 2011, 08:13:23 am »
Not sure where the Mostyn Champneys traffic lights link has gone

I finally found the topic where you'd originally posted about the lights, and moved the newly created topic into it.  It's now here:

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=324.50

Meanwhile, I've also moved your post into it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #1138 on: June 07, 2011, 09:50:16 am »
I'm glad that you enjoyed your day out in Llandudno, Hollins, and hope that you'll come again despite the poor state of the gardens.  There are some lovely walks on the Great Orme, with more of the splendid views.  If you get a copy of the map mentioned in this thread it will tell you lots of interesting things to look out for:

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=215.0

The map is available from the cafe halfway around Marine Drive.  In the thread, the name of the cafe hasn't displayed properly and I'm having the same trouble with it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1139 on: June 07, 2011, 10:03:08 am »
The map is also on sale in the Haulfre Gardens Cafe.