Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612472 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1455 on: August 10, 2011, 11:48:29 am »
Wonder who actually showed you round the Clarence Dave?
Whitbread have denied that they have any interest in it ! Page 3 of today's Pioneer.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1456 on: August 10, 2011, 11:52:46 am »
They were workmen who were busy inside for several days.

Llandudno is shown as a target town on their acquisitions list:
http://www.whitbread.co.uk/whitbread/property/hotelsrestaurants/targettowns.html

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1457 on: August 10, 2011, 11:56:23 am »
Mmmm-- wonder if or who  they really were? If Whitbread declare in the press that they have no connection with the Clarence  why they would send in workmen? Something doesn't tally somewhere !

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1458 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:06 pm »
It would, of course, be a Travelodge Brand which is the hotel side of Whitbread.  What's in a name?   WWW

I would have though that they would not shy away from publicity and would grab every opportunity to put themselves on the map.   C'est la vie!    :laugh:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1459 on: August 10, 2011, 12:06:05 pm »
That is the only way that this could have happened-----Travelodge wasn't mentioned though ! Do Whitbread actually own both? According to Wikipedia they don't--- unless that is out of date .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1460 on: August 10, 2011, 12:32:18 pm »
Premier Inn is the Hotel division of Whitbread. Travelodge is a separate company and has no connection.

The workman we spoke to said he had worked on the new Premier Inn at Lancaster?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:51:55 pm by DaveR »

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1461 on: August 10, 2011, 12:37:04 pm »
Travelodge has beens owned for the past five years by Dubia International Capital who had previously been interested in the Tudno Castle Hotel.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1462 on: August 10, 2011, 01:22:19 pm »
Thanks for that-- I thought not !

The mystery deepens ! :o

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1463 on: August 10, 2011, 01:23:48 pm »
B****r, I've been booking myself into the wrong hotel for the past 6 years!!   L0L 
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1464 on: August 10, 2011, 01:52:16 pm »
The truth will come out in the end, I suppose!  $walesflag$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1465 on: August 10, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »
The allseeing Oscar says...

The Pioneer today pours cold water over the Clarence Hotel  by saying that it will not be converted to a Premier Inn , that despite what a certain councilor say is TRUE, it will NOT be converted to a Premier Inn. However there is very good news on the horizon and it is only a matter of time before it will be announced that a very reputable company has exchanged contracts on the now dilapidated hotel. I assure you that this is NOT speculation but fact, I am bound by  confidentiality and will not break this, but think it will be good for that area of town.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1466 on: August 11, 2011, 09:32:10 am »
Boxer Randolph Turpin named “Turnip” in leaflet error

RENOWNED boxer Randolph Turpin was famed for his prowess in the ring – but a new tourism leaflet calls him a turnip.

The misspelling is on a promotional leaflet produced by Llandudno Attractions Consortium. Instead of saying that the Great Orme Summit Complex includes Randolph Turpin’s bar, it instead trumpets the delights of “Randolph Turnip’s Bar”.

Bar manager Ron Jones was horrified when it came back misspelt from the printers.

He said: “I was embarrassed. We’d had 130,000 leaflets made and distributed and it was too late to bring them all back. The mistake has been made somewhere along the line.”

Tourist Dave Swanton spotted the gaffe in the leaflet. He said: “My dad had once told me about Randolph Turpin so when I visited the complex and picked up the leaflet, I thought it was hilarious.”

Mr Swanton, who is a BBC radio journalist and Sale Sharks rugby union club spokesman, is even giving the typographical error a light hearted mention on his programme this weekend.

Printers WO Jones Ltd of Llangefni said it works hard to eradicate all mistakes. A spokesman said: “We endeavour at all times to ensure any spelling mistakes are spotted and rectified.

“All art work is proof read to the customers and is signed off before going to the printers. If an error is found at a later date sadly this is beyond our control.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/08/11/boxer-randolph-turpin-named-turnip-in-leaflet-error-55578-29215947/

:laugh:

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #1467 on: August 11, 2011, 01:21:35 pm »
Here's a view from the Great Orme today!

Offline Jack

« Reply #1468 on: August 11, 2011, 01:28:59 pm »
Boxer Randolph Turpin named “Turnip” in leaflet error

RENOWNED boxer Randolph Turpin was famed for his prowess in the ring – but a new tourism leaflet calls him a turnip.

The misspelling is on a promotional leaflet produced by Llandudno Attractions Consortium. Instead of saying that the Great Orme Summit Complex includes Randolph Turpin’s bar, it instead trumpets the delights of “Randolph Turnip’s Bar”.

Bar manager Ron Jones was horrified when it came back misspelt from the printers.

He said: “I was embarrassed. We’d had 130,000 leaflets made and distributed and it was too late to bring them all back. The mistake has been made somewhere along the line.”

Tourist Dave Swanton spotted the gaffe in the leaflet. He said: “My dad had once told me about Randolph Turpin so when I visited the complex and picked up the leaflet, I thought it was hilarious.”

Mr Swanton, who is a BBC radio journalist and Sale Sharks rugby union club spokesman, is even giving the typographical error a light hearted mention on his programme this weekend.

Printers WO Jones Ltd of Llangefni said it works hard to eradicate all mistakes. A spokesman said: “We endeavour at all times to ensure any spelling mistakes are spotted and rectified.

“All art work is proof read to the customers and is signed off before going to the printers. If an error is found at a later date sadly this is beyond our control.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/08/11/boxer-randolph-turpin-named-turnip-in-leaflet-error-55578-29215947/

:laugh:

NEW? The leaflet was printed in March and has been distributed for the last 6 months!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1469 on: August 11, 2011, 02:40:55 pm »
Here's a view from the Great Orme today!

Exactly--- I ended up soaked to the skin with a very wet white thing on the end of a lead !
Hope it clears before the concert tonight.