Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2611900 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3795 on: June 12, 2013, 04:31:03 pm »
Hearing that Broadway Boulevard has closed it's doors for good.
Will the last drinking establishment left in Llandudno please turn out the lights
That's correct. Broadway Boulevard has closed down, following the Administrators failure to sell the business. The high rent paid (£120,000 a year), combined with the lack of discretionary spending caused by the recession, killed the business.

I also heard a whisper the other day that a well known Llandudno bar at the top end of town was struggling badly....

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3796 on: June 12, 2013, 04:51:29 pm »
I still think there are far too many bars, pubs etc for the demand other than the height of the season.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3797 on: June 12, 2013, 05:31:06 pm »
Lot of Police activity in Clifton Road, reports of a stabbing.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3798 on: June 12, 2013, 06:19:34 pm »
Disappointing to see another very prominent Llandudno flower bed has been filled with perennials to save money instead of summer bedding flowers.  &shake&

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3799 on: June 12, 2013, 06:28:46 pm »
next year it will be concrete like the llandudno sign up the valley.

Offline jeanus44

« Reply #3800 on: June 12, 2013, 06:50:11 pm »
Lot of Police activity in Clifton Road, reports of a stabbing.

I saw three Police cars heading up towards the front from Clifton Road just after 5pm!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3801 on: June 12, 2013, 08:26:22 pm »
Llandudno nitelife has just suffered its second and last closure of a night club,with the loss of the Washington niteclub last year we have now lost Broadway Boulavard meaning there is no incentive for any people (youths) from Llanwrst,Colwyn Bay etc etc to come into Llandudno on a Saturday nite as we now have no entertainment,so Bangor is the big winner,along with,Chester,Liverpool and Manchester.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3802 on: June 12, 2013, 08:59:54 pm »
At risk of being the devil's advocate...it could be argued that those people weren't spending in Llandudno anyway, as the Clubs wouldn't have both closed down if they had been successful?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3803 on: June 12, 2013, 10:50:19 pm »
He tried to pull a fast one...and got caught out.  &shake&

Businessman loses appeal over uPVC windows in Llandudno
Apr 10 2013

A BUSINESSMAN has lost his appeal to keep double glazed windows in his block of flats - creating “uncertainty” for scores of

He may have broken the rules but others have done so and gotten away with it.  Mostyn Estates for instance.   In the same position but on the other side of trinity church stood a Convalescent Home for women ( Eivion and Bryn Eglwys) and according to Christopher Draper and John Lawson Reay is one of Llandudno's more regrettable examples of architectural improvement.   In the 1960's this building was demolished and the rebuilding promoted by George Hiller of Mostyn Estates as part of his transformation of a tired holiday town.
I went past the building today and it appeared to have UPVC windows. 
It seems that it is ok for Mostyn Estates to break the rules that they originally set but not for anyone else.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #3804 on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:11 pm »
The new Alice sculptures have been dumped on the builders st CCBC depot,oops sorry its supposedto be a coach park.
Need to stick that excuse of a clock next to them too. Is it ever right?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3805 on: June 13, 2013, 07:29:04 am »
No idea Mike,i can;t see it   as you drive past

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3806 on: June 13, 2013, 07:32:00 am »
Sorry Dave i must disagree,i thought Fat Cat would never have a problem,as you know its the rents and rates which is killing this town,along with CCBC.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3807 on: June 13, 2013, 08:53:04 am »
Pubs, bars and nightclubs are going bust by the score all over the country though, Wrex. It's not just a Llandudno problem. High rent and rates are certainly a big part of the problem, though.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3808 on: June 13, 2013, 08:55:32 am »
Mike is right, wrex, and I often wonder who has the responsibility of correcting  the time and is there a call-out charge every time?

I went past the building today and it appeared to have UPVC windows. 
It seems that it is ok for Mostyn Estates to break the rules that they originally set but not for anyone else.

Hugo, I worked in that building from the 2 January 1967 until 30 March 1973 and I have no recollection of Upvc windows.

I think the building was built by Frank Tyldsley and I would imagine they were wooden windows in those days.

I certainly don't remember them being white in colour.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3809 on: June 13, 2013, 08:55:39 am »
It was correct yesterday. I note that it has turned from a 'Floral Clock' into a 'Turf Clock', as no flowers have been planted in it this year.  &shake&