Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614507 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3825 on: June 14, 2013, 05:10:54 pm »
Some good points made. The thing is with Nightclubs is that they need a large building, and those are at a premium in Llandudno. The state of the Boulevard (Grand Theatre) has declined significantly in recent years and a lot of expenditure is required to bring it back up to standard. I'm estimating up to £250,000 may be required for the exterior alone, as the roof, brickwork, lintels, gutters, decorative rendering etc are all in need of repairs. When I toured the upper reaches of the building a couple of years back, I could see daylight though the roof in one than one place.

My own vision for the Grand Theatre would for it to be acquired by a local charity, refurbished back into theatre use with lottery funding,  and run as a mixture of community performing arts venue and commercial performance venue, featuring the sort of acts/groups etc that can't be booked into Venue Cymru due to cost/size etc..  The Theatres Trust said 'This is potentially the best traditional theatre in North Wales. It is sad that such a fine building is not playing a major role in the revival of Llandudno as a regional performance arts centre'.

Grand Theatre by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3826 on: June 14, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »
Really? 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3827 on: June 14, 2013, 05:38:51 pm »
Who actually owns the Grand Theatre?

Were Broadway Boulevard simply the tenants?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3828 on: June 14, 2013, 05:49:57 pm »
Who actually owns the Grand Theatre?

Were Broadway Boulevard simply the tenants?
Yes, and that was the problem. The rent was so high that it made the business uneconomic. The building is owned by Max Bars, a division of Prestbury Investments. I imagine they'll be keen to dispose of the building before CCBC serve an Urgent Works Notice on them.

The Land Registry Record for the Grand Theatre is attached:

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3829 on: June 14, 2013, 06:41:00 pm »
It seems the owners maybe a dormant company.

DaveR, I assume the property has been granted a listed status.

Is that correct?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3830 on: June 14, 2013, 06:57:04 pm »
Yes, I think its Listed Grade II*

"Grade II* buildings are particularly important buildings of more than special interest; 5.5% of listed buildings are Grade II* "

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3831 on: June 14, 2013, 08:03:27 pm »
Yes, I think its Listed Grade II*

"Grade II* buildings are particularly important buildings of more than special interest; 5.5% of listed buildings are Grade II* "

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wa-3633-grand-theatre-llandudno
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3832 on: June 14, 2013, 08:20:12 pm »
Thanks to Jonty and his powerful imagery, I cannot stop thinking about being burned in a Wicker Man behind a pub in Llandudno. 
I would very much like to know which pubs I should avoid in order to prevent that disturbing fate befalling me.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3833 on: June 14, 2013, 08:57:44 pm »
I've always wondered with Broadway...when they rebuilt the interior did they keep all the plasterwork in the actual nightclub area intact? I am aware that in the 'behind the scenes' parts there is a lot intact and that the ceiling is still there etc, but in areas like the circle (which I think was the umpstairs in Broadway) and the proscenium arch area I could never find any of the plasterwork in evidence when I was in there.  Is it all just boxed-in in areas like that and built over, so that it's hidden from view, or did they remove it completely?

I too would like it to become a community theatre, but then it would become impossible as you say Dave to find another place suitable for a nightclub premises-wise. Maybe one of the places on the Champneys could become a nightclub as happens in some places.  It would help control noise as well...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3834 on: June 14, 2013, 09:42:27 pm »
As far as I know, all the original theatre plasterwork etc is still there behind the nightclub fittings. Top of the Proscenium Arch:

Grand Theatre, Llandudno by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

The circle fronts are all boxed in and hidden at present, except for the Upper Circle, which is open:

Grand Theatre Tour - Llandudno by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Ive been behind some of the false walls at ground level and it all seems to be there. The Stage and associated engineering are all intact, as is the fly tower, safety curtain and fittings.

There's even a Supertrooper spotlight still hidden behind a false wall!

I recall part of the Planning Permission for nightclub use was that the nightclub fittings had to be superimposed on top of the theatre fittings, rather than allowing anything to be ripped out.

Offline DVT

« Reply #3835 on: June 14, 2013, 10:29:47 pm »
My son worked there until a couple of years ago when all the company's Assistant Managers were made redundant ... all the workings are still in place in the cellar as well, although would need some work to restore.

Upstairs the seats are still in place, and the seats all in the upright position but whenever the next person went up there one seat was down in the sitting position - ghosts?  My son said he often felt a "presence" when up there.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3836 on: June 15, 2013, 05:18:02 pm »
Congratulations to Mrs Betty Perrin on the award of an MBE in the Birthday Honours' List recognising her sterling work for local carers.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3837 on: June 15, 2013, 06:20:40 pm »
Upstairs the seats are still in place, and the seats all in the upright position but whenever the next person went up there one seat was down in the sitting position - ghosts?  My son said he often felt a "presence" when up there.
Hmmm, I saw this when I went up there!!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3838 on: June 16, 2013, 09:17:36 am »
Could be Alex Munro who ran it at the end.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3839 on: June 16, 2013, 12:20:49 pm »
Just been to LLanrhos to visit dads grave,im very glad the parks dept had cut the grass,last year on Mothers day it was a disgrace,only 3 very busy days in the cemetry,today,mothers day and xmas day so its not hard to sort.