Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614635 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4680 on: December 09, 2013, 03:41:13 pm »
Have a look at Oscar.

Don't read Oscar, but today I did get an opinion from someone who assisted in marshalling and he was not enamoured with the effort.
Give the parade back to Mr Rose or let the Round Table, Lions and the like have a go.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4681 on: December 09, 2013, 04:57:16 pm »
If you remember Yorkie Mr Rose came to the council and asked for £6,000 to keep putting it on,this is when Janet Finch said they could do a better job and told Mr Rose to do one,so he walked,since then there have been no late-nite shopping,no entertainment,no brass bands,poor xmas lights and a very poor parade which last 20 minutes with a little show from 3pm,wonderful come to Llandudno the tourist board say,xmas wonderland,only wondering you do is to wonder why the main st is is what,im lost for words anymore.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4682 on: December 09, 2013, 05:13:14 pm »
Wrex, I remember it well.  Wasn't just her, Jack and a few others put the boot in also!   ;)
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4683 on: December 09, 2013, 06:02:08 pm »
Prom Shelter full of pebbles after last week's storm:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4684 on: December 10, 2013, 11:28:12 am »
Pantomine season is here and once again the stupid CCBC could;nt organise a p up in a brewery,there are coaches parked all over the side streets when the coach park on Mostyn Broadway sits there empty,oh yes i did say EMPTY,only a stoes throw from the theater and CCBC let these coaches block the prom instead of parking on the Broadway and the kids walk 500 yards,pathetic,no major roads to cross and only a 2 minute walk.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4685 on: December 10, 2013, 11:35:14 am »
Two huge lorry loads of pebbles being tipped onto the beach area next to the lifeboat slipway earlier this morning. Nearly buried the edge of the slipway. What a job to shift that lot !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4686 on: December 10, 2013, 11:55:02 am »
ha ha you call them pepples ,they were doing the same yesterday ,are this council hell bent on destroying our once lovely sandy beach,mind you they are hell bent on destoying the whole town  :rage:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4687 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:01 pm »
I was walking along Mostyn St early this afternoon and, right in front of me, an older lady tripped on the uneven paving stones and fell headfirst into the road. I helped get her back onto her feet and she was obviously very distressed by it all.

The state of  the pavements is absolutely terrible and incidents like this are all too common. I've seen no substantial repairs to the Mostyn St pavements in the last ten years and the condition of them is just getting worse and worse. How about we get the basics dealt with before spending millions on white elephants like the Watersports centre?

When I was in Southport the other week, the pavements in Lord St were absolutely immaculate - such a contrast with shabby Llandudno.
I noticed that the section of pavement where the lady fell over has been replaced today. Now only another 100 sections of damaged paving to do!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4688 on: December 11, 2013, 12:03:21 am »
How did the xmas parade go yesterday,not trying vto knock it just asking the question,i was watching Llandudno fc or i would have made the effort.

Mrs Fester and I watched some of the Xmas parade whilst pottering about town, and I thought it was very well attended by both participants and spectators.   I very much like to see the floats and particularly the old tram / bus.
All the shops and coffee bars were full too.   Nope, I'm not knocking it, I thought it was pretty good.

I am heartily sick of seeing blood-stained  Star Wars stormtroopers marching though, (as they do in the Extravaganza)
I can't think of anything less festive or Victorian than them.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4689 on: December 11, 2013, 08:11:46 am »
I noticed that the section of pavement where the lady fell over has been replaced today. Now only another 100 sections of damaged paving to do!

Interestingly they pursue this rather short-sighted policy with road repairs, too. In one of the many steep gradient sections of roads in and around the Conwy Valley successive winters had seen the tarmac eroded, then patched, then eroded, then patched and so on. Finally, following the heavy snows in April this year, they decided to send in the road laying teams. A very muted cheer went up, but faded quickly as it soon became clear they'd only replaced the most damaged bit. Naturally, the new bit is withstanding use well, but the old sections on either end are sporting cracks and holes. Having had the team in place with the material why on earth didn't they do the entire (and relatively short) stretch of road?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:11:41 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4690 on: December 11, 2013, 08:43:52 am »
Because they all suffer from Myopia!   They need to go to Specsavers!   :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4691 on: December 11, 2013, 09:06:23 am »
The condition of rural roads in the County has been a concern for some time:
http://www.lgcplus.com/conwys-highways-maintenance-service-gets-fair-report/1273015.article

Offline Dave

« Reply #4692 on: December 13, 2013, 12:20:12 pm »
Just back from 3 weeks in Sri Lanka so I was very interested to see Dave R's excellent storm pictures that capture the local events while we were away.

Interestingly, the festive spirit in Sri Lanka is very much alive and well with some huge and impressive roadside nativity scenes and the sound of school concerts and church carol singing very much in evidence because, with the benefit of good weather much of it is outdoors.This is by no means a Christian country , in fact they are a relatively small minority but those who practice well and truly believe and for them Christmas is still a religious festival not a commercial one.
Colombo airport is lined with Christmas tree illuminations along all the corridors, a joy to see. Arrival back in Manchester was a rather glum affair.

Now, as for Llandudno, well there will be some small nativity creations outside one or two churches but that's it, after all as practicing Christians we exist only in small and ageing numbers.
What members on here are asking for is a glitzy commercial adaptation of Christmas and for that commercial businesses should be prepared to put in the effort but they don't do they ! My suggestion would be incentives or competitions for those who make an effort both with illuminated windows at Christmas and hanging baskets in summer. Not sure how you would organise it but I'm sure it could be done. A bit more pride in our town is needed and not just an expectation that the council will fix everything... well they struggle with the basics so we can't expect too much can we !

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4693 on: December 13, 2013, 01:57:48 pm »
What members on here are asking for is a glitzy commercial adaptation of Christmas and for that commercial businesses should be prepared to put in the effort but they don't

Celebrating winter festivals has a long and ancient history which has occurred in the Northern Hemisphere for thousands of years, until Christian Missionaries hijacked the concepts for their own ends. Glitzy and commercial is probably the correct slant for the Xmas period, now, as it returns to its Pagan roots. On that basis, businesses should certainly cough up more than they do.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4694 on: December 13, 2013, 04:30:19 pm »
Should the buisnesses in Mostyn st not expect for rates a little xmas light,attractive that is what Llandudno should be all year round for everybody,xmas,summer all year,we attract tourists and shoppers all year and the town council should strive to make sure they all come back.