Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616697 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2010, 04:10:02 pm »
I think the big banner on the front of Wetherspoons is quite impressive:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2010, 06:01:46 pm »
The Celtic Fayre had some interesting stalls .... but it was all a bit flat without any music on??   A band, some singers, some piped Xmas carols.. anything really.

Plus I noticed that organiser guy (Nigel Rose) up to a very clever (or naughty) trick
He made people queue outside one of the tents (not the busiest one either) .. he let people in in a steady trickle... and directed everyone to turn LEFT.
Seemingly a one way system was a good idea.

It was an even better idea given that his wife's stall was the first one on the left.... and you were forced to walk past it!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #272 on: November 21, 2010, 08:23:01 pm »
I think the big banner on the front of Wetherspoons is quite impressive:

What is it for?

So you don't forget what the building looks like, as they're taking so long with the re-vamp?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2010, 04:51:17 pm »
A Pedicurist is opening in early December in the old Dr China shop in the Victoria Centre.

Offline Sara

« Reply #274 on: November 22, 2010, 05:46:48 pm »
The pedicure is done by little fish nibbling at your feet!!  ???

Offline Jack

« Reply #275 on: November 22, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »
Been lots of birdwatchers around the Mostyn Champneys carpark especially around Aldi, old Halfords and B and Q as there was a flock of 50 or so Waxwings (V pretty little birds from Scandinavia).  Friendly bunch too as they let me look thru their telescopes to get fantastic views. I only went in for some paint....... :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: November 22, 2010, 06:04:16 pm »
Hmmmm...something like this....

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: November 22, 2010, 06:10:31 pm »
Been lots of birdwatchers around the Mostyn Champneys carpark especially around Aldi, old Halfords and B and Q as there was a flock of 50 or so Waxwings (V pretty little birds from Scandinavia).  Friendly bunch too as they let me look thru their telescopes to get fantastic views. I only went in for some paint....... :)
I saw a lot of these on the beach at Colwyn Bay the other day and was wondering what they are? I'm sure they're very common.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2010, 06:18:39 pm »
looks like an Oystercatcher, we used to see one that nested on the Cambrian Coast railway, within a couple of feet of the rail!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Yorkie

« Reply #279 on: November 22, 2010, 06:36:43 pm »
Definitely an Oystercatcher.  Lots of them around this area especially near low tide when the sand is available.  They can also be seen at the RSPB at Llandudno Junction once they get the water back in the lagoon!   Here is an RSPB picture.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:55:59 pm by Yorkie »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #280 on: November 22, 2010, 06:39:50 pm »
Thanks, both!  :)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #281 on: November 22, 2010, 07:43:37 pm »
The call they make is a dead give away you can hear it from miles away. You will hear them before you see them in most cases.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #282 on: November 22, 2010, 08:38:54 pm »

Mrs Fester tried this in Manchester.... I do hope they are not Pirhanas?
She also thought such a franchise would go down well in Llandudno.
I disagree, because the one in Manchester was a 'stall' on the Arndale concourse (low rent)  .. the Dr China shop rent plus rates plus service charge works out over £30,000 per year.   The unit is very large and needs a lot of turnover to support that.
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: November 22, 2010, 08:54:15 pm »
As some people may know, there is also an organisation (if one can use such a word) called The Llandudno Civic Council who claim that their main purpose is to monitor the efforts of the Conwy County Council and the Llandudno Town Council and to keep a watching brief on what they do and also their expenditure.

Whatever they are doing they must be doing it in total secrecy, as I have not seen sight or sound of any results of their efforts or any positive action in "monitoring" the two Councils, offering any suggestions, or even publishing any details of their deliberations or meetings.  I am sure local Blogs and Forums would give them houseroom if they were interested in keeping the public informed.  I, for one, would like to know what they are doing, if anything!   >>>
I meant to reply to this post a day or so ago but forgot...

Yes, very unfortunately, the Civic Council appear just as reluctant to tell the people anything as the organisations they are supposedly monitoring! Again, why no website, blog etc to keep residents/taxpayers they supposedly represent informed? They could post information on here with pleasure, if they wanted, and the same goes for any other local organisation.

Lastly, with the greatest of respect, I find their lack of accountability concerning. Don't they effectively appoint themselves?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #284 on: November 22, 2010, 09:03:08 pm »
With the greatest of DISRESPECT, I think they are a set of self-important pompous clowns.... which we can ill afford.

(I do like the Extravaganza though)
Fester...