Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612356 times)

Offline FatAndy

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5175 on: May 21, 2014, 02:31:36 pm »
So.... is anything at all going to come from the meeting? Or was it, as I suspect, a complete waste of time. Save for Ian Turner getting himself some more attention

I didn't go but I heard that Janet Finch-Useless also tried to turn the meeting into a "me me me" session.  If only she was as good at other things as she is at jumping on bandwagons  :(.

Personally I can understand why people aren't happy about what's happened to the beach but it's no great secret that the coast is gradually eroding right the way around the UK so somebody has to do something.  Much as I'd love to see a sandy beach today I'd much prefer that in years to come my children, grandchildren and so on have a bit of land on which to live.  It strikes me that a lot of these protesters are being somewhat selfish as let's face it most of them will be long gone by the time the real problems arise so why should they worry.  What a shame the likes of Ian Turner, Janet Finch-Useless, Guto Bebb et al don't stop burying their heads in the sand (*) and come up with some practical solutions given they all appear to be fully qualified experts in preventing coastal erosion.

(*- yes, I know.  It was intended  ;)).
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5176 on: May 21, 2014, 03:28:09 pm »
My grandfather once. Told me that the sea topped the west Shore and came down Gloddaeth Ave.  as far as Maelgwyn Rd.   :o
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5177 on: May 21, 2014, 04:25:23 pm »
I don't think the protesters are against Coastal defences, there are other ways to protect the coastline other than dumping stones

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5178 on: May 21, 2014, 04:36:34 pm »
Quite correct Quiggs.  Once incident is referred to Chris Draper & John Lawson Reay's book "Llandudno through time" (2010).  There is a photo on page 94 showing Trinity Church surrounded by water on 30th October 1932.  They say "with high winds and stormy weather, as early as 9 am the tide had reached the promenade steps, by 10 am it was washing over the parade and by noon the wind was driving huge waves onto both north and west shores sending rivers of water into town and creating a huge lake around Trinity Church".  I am sure I remember something similar but on a smaller scale in the 60s which affected Gloddaeth Avenue perhaps someone else recalls this. On page 71, John also has a photo showing stones up to the level there are now but this must have been 4 years ago.

From what I have seen some folk now seem to deny there was ever any tidal flooding - though I did see parts of Craig y Don flooded in 1990 which coincided with the Towyn flood but never received the same media coverage.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #5179 on: May 21, 2014, 05:03:17 pm »
My grandfather once. Told me that the sea topped the west Shore and came down Gloddaeth Ave.  as far as Maelgwyn Rd.   :o

He was correct too Quiggs and it did that more than once.   I think the year was 1938 but the West Shore sea defence wasn't built until 1952 for some unknown reason!   
Llandudno did have problems with high tides but that seemed to come up from the drains as I found out to my cost when I ran down the steps to the Gents in bog island and jumped the last three steps only to land in about a foot of water!       :o

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5180 on: May 21, 2014, 05:37:52 pm »
Llandudno 5 December 2013 - remember?
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #5181 on: May 21, 2014, 06:39:23 pm »
I don't think the protesters are against Coastal defences, there are other ways to protect the coastline other than dumping stones

In that case perhaps the protesters could offer their own suggestions as to what should be done, i.e. take a positive approach to the problem rather than being so negative all the time.  Yes, it would be nice to have a bit of sand on the beach but not at the cost of the town disappearing beneath the waves somewhere down the line.  Personally I think Llandudno will at some point find itself under water whatever we do, sea levels are rising and the town is located on a very low, flat piece of land, but that's no excuse for not having a go at saving it.

Personally I suspect that the protest "leaders" are only interested in protecting their own commercial interests but they've have managed to hoodwink a mob of sheep to create a scene when required.   That might explain why so many of the protesters at VC last night were people from outside the area.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5182 on: May 21, 2014, 07:40:38 pm »
Not sure what interests Ian Turner is protecting but that beach is filthy and even the bit of sand we do have is never cleaned,how thick are we all that we can;t even be bothered to get CCBC TO CLEAN THE BIT OF SAND WE HAVE.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5183 on: May 21, 2014, 08:19:36 pm »

In that case perhaps the protesters could offer their own suggestions as to what should be done, i.e. take a positive approach to the problem rather than being so negative all the time.  Yes, it would be nice to have a bit of sand on the beach but not at the cost of the town disappearing beneath the waves somewhere down the line.  Personally I think Llandudno will at some point find itself under water whatever we do, sea levels are rising and the town is located on a very low, flat piece of land, but that's no excuse for not having a go at saving it.

Personally I suspect that the protest "leaders" are only interested in protecting their own commercial interests but they've have managed to hoodwink a mob of sheep to create a scene when required.   That might explain why so many of the protesters at VC last night were people from outside the area.

No such consultation took place, perhaps CCC were arrogant enough to believe that the public would just accept the situation like a flock  of sheep.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5184 on: May 21, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »
I have further evidence of Llandudno flooding from a note made by Mr R C Baxter, the founder of Clare's Departmental Store and a Alderman of  the Urban District Council.  He states that on the evening of 9th November 1927, "the sea came into Mostyn Street".

No doubt there are plenty more incidents either recorded or not!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5185 on: May 21, 2014, 08:32:25 pm »
I think you are probably right Yorkie.  As I mentioned earlier if you look at John Lawson Reay's book the photo he shows from around 2010 is virtually no different to today's stones and he actually refers to them being dumped by the council.  I think the real issue is how the job was done now.  The original scheme involved the importation of the stone by barges at extra cost borne by the Welsh Office so there was no complaint about lorries and so on. The Welsh Office must have been happy with scheme at the time.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5186 on: May 21, 2014, 09:18:39 pm »
So.... is anything at all going to come from the meeting? Or was it, as I suspect, a complete waste of time. Save for Ian Turner getting himself some more attention

I didn't go but I heard that Janet Finch-Useless also tried to turn the meeting into a "me me me" session.  If only she was as good at other things as she is at jumping on bandwagons  :(.

Personally I can understand why people aren't happy about what's happened to the beach but it's no great secret that the coast is gradually eroding right the way around the UK so somebody has to do something.  Much as I'd love to see a sandy beach today I'd much prefer that in years to come my children, grandchildren and so on have a bit of land on which to live.  It strikes me that a lot of these protesters are being somewhat selfish as let's face it most of them will be long gone by the time the real problems arise so why should they worry.  What a shame the likes of Ian Turner, Janet Finch-Useless, Guto Bebb et al don't stop burying their heads in the sand (*) and come up with some practical solutions given they all appear to be fully qualified experts in preventing coastal erosion.

(*- yes, I know.  It was intended  ;)).

JFS wasn't allowed to speak.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5187 on: May 21, 2014, 11:51:59 pm »
It has been said many times that the mistakes we make today, must be PAID FOR by our children, and our grandchildren in the future.

Personally I find that very reassuring, and a huge relief!     :twoface:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5188 on: May 22, 2014, 06:58:15 am »
Nem you must have left early because JFS had a 10 minute slot about 9 and she did have a few good points.

Offline hollins