Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614192 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5535 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:37 am »
Amazing how many illegally spaced personal plates you see on the road, yet seem to keep driving around.  I'm sure the important part is that it can be read clearly (especially by cameras), and Police may have better things to do!  On those pictured above it's the font that's illegal, which makes them more difficult to read.

With the new changes to road tax after October 1st I think any plate which cannot be read by an ANPR camera will be deemed illegal, be it the font, spacing etc...
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5536 on: August 31, 2014, 12:57:59 pm »

With the new changes to road tax after October 1st I think any plate which cannot be read by an ANPR camera will be deemed illegal, be it the font, spacing etc...

It will have to be a Police Stop, as if the plate is not readable, they can't post you a ticket!  What a lot of police time will be needed, and what a lot of ANPR Cameras will be needed to stop the tax dodgers.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5538 on: August 31, 2014, 03:20:23 pm »

It will have to be a Police Stop, as if the plate is not readable, they can't post you a ticket!  What a lot of police time will be needed, and what a lot of ANPR Cameras will be needed to stop the tax dodgers.   ZXZ

It will also make it very difficult to spot abandoned vehicles and bring an end to people 'shopping' their neighbours for not taxing their cars. I'm not sure the system will work very well until every police car has ANPR fitted. It's obviously more of a cost saving exercise for the DVLA following on from VOSA/DVSA abolishing the MOT certificate in 2012.
It'll also make it a bit tricky buying a second hand car in the future as you'll have to tax it before you drive it home. Not so bad if buying from a trader but a private sale is a different matter.
Valar Morghulis

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5539 on: August 31, 2014, 03:33:17 pm »

Look out for these vans in the near future.
Valar Morghulis

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5540 on: August 31, 2014, 04:13:49 pm »
Just back from a walk on the prom, 3.30 still very busy, nice to see, but the beach, what sand is left is covered in

thick old seaweed, more than 50% is unusable, the people were all sitting around the piles, what a waste.

It would take a JCB to clear it now, considering the prom is No2 attraction on tripadvisor (Orme Golf still 4th. :D)
you would think a bit more attention would be given.  $angry$

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #5541 on: August 31, 2014, 08:18:19 pm »
Going back to the new tax disc regulations, and the fact you cannot transfer tax to the new owner when you sell privately.

Say you sell in the middle of the month ... you take the tax disc off and claim back unused months.  New owner has to tax car straight away, and will cover the month of purchase.

So ... DVLA will get that month's tax TWICE !!!

Sneaky!!!

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #5542 on: August 31, 2014, 08:28:18 pm »
 I expected a negative reply to me picking on the number plate but wonder how it passed the MOT with that plate......or is it changed for that annual event?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5543 on: August 31, 2014, 08:32:37 pm »
I expected a negative reply to me picking on the number plate but wonder how it passed the MOT with that plate......or is it changed for that annual event?

They probably change them for the mot!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5544 on: August 31, 2014, 08:37:26 pm »
With my car club and also many other motoring clubs, they have what are referred to as "Show Plates".  These are generally only a temporary fix with DS Tape or Velchro, whilst at the show, and come off for normal road use.

As Yorkie said above.... :) ;)   We hope.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5545 on: August 31, 2014, 08:38:06 pm »
DVT, yes very sneaky, I spotted that one ages ago! Can you imagine on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of the month buying a car and phoning DVLA to inform them of the changes and that you want to pay for the tax over the phone, madness! I can see all car sales happening at midnight at the end of the month!

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #5546 on: September 01, 2014, 10:40:19 am »
Has anyone seen the figures on how much will be saved/made by DVLT on this exercise , balanced by the extra cost incurred by the Police and other agencies monitoring the new system.

Might be savings in Swansea probably thought up by a management trainee who has been given a project.

Have to mention this to Alex Salmond so he can give his views on a Scottish DVLT and how it will be financed.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #5547 on: September 01, 2014, 11:50:13 am »
Just back from a walk on the prom, 3.30 still very busy, nice to see, but the beach, what sand is left is covered in

thick old seaweed, more than 50% is unusable, the people were all sitting around the piles, what a waste.

It would take a JCB to clear it now, considering the prom is No2 attraction on tripadvisor (Orme Golf still 4th. :D)
you would think a bit more attention would be given.  $angry$

The North Shore Beach has it's own seperate listing on TripAdvisor and is currently ranked the 20th best attraction in Llandudno, although it has a score of 4 out of 5 which isn't too bad (although it looks like some of the reviewers were a bit confused as to what they were reviewing).  West Shore Beach is ranked at number 11 with a score of 4.5 out of 5 which is fair enough as it is the best beach in Llandudno by some margin.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5548 on: September 01, 2014, 03:27:20 pm »
Has anyone seen the figures on how much will be saved/made by DVLT on this exercise , balanced by the extra cost incurred by the Police and other agencies monitoring the new system.

Might be savings in Swansea probably thought up by a management trainee who has been given a project.

Have to mention this to Alex Salmond so he can give his views on a Scottish DVLT and how it will be financed.

They estimate it'll save taxpayers £10m per annum but don't state if that's a nett figure taking into account the policing of the new system or if that's just the saving from not issuing paper discs.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5549 on: September 01, 2014, 06:06:29 pm »
Does this mean I can remove the 'tax in post' notice from the windscreens of my cars?