Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2654041 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5580 on: September 10, 2014, 07:43:20 am »
I also noticed that the LLANDUDNO sign in the Happy Valley grass was freshly painted, and all the grass was cut along the dual carriageway into Llandudno, all for the TV cameras,

Yes - I saw that and wondered if this was to be the case for everywhere else after the event.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5581 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:39 am »
I also noticed that the LLANDUDNO sign in the Happy Valley grass was freshly painted, and all the grass was cut along the dual carriageway into Llandudno, all for the TV cameras, and all for one day!
What about the areas such as Haulfre Gardens, on all the other days of the year??
It just goes to show that:

1) CCBC have the money to spend when they feel like it.
2) They are concerned far more with their public image than actually providing decent public services.

&shake&

Offline Dave

« Reply #5582 on: September 10, 2014, 08:45:37 am »
Well I must admit I was impressed with the Llandudno sign. Showed up really well from the air and , combined with the T.V. footage of the Gt Orme descent and then on to a sunny promenade, made Llandudno quite memorable to any viewers watching. People have always laughed when I suggest Llandudno has a lot of similarity with Nice and the Corniche of Southern France but there wasn't a lot to separate them apart on Monday.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5583 on: September 10, 2014, 08:47:19 am »
It certainly did look good. The point I was making was it was only repainted when CCBC knew the tv cameras were coming, it had been left to fade away for years previously.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5584 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:18 am »
Permission should (hopefully) be given today for the building of the new Lifeboat Station next to the Paddling Pool in Craig Y Don.  $good$

Offline Dave

« Reply #5585 on: September 11, 2014, 08:53:52 pm »
Permission granted for the lifeboat station which is good news. I am wondering  why the site is by the paddling pool and not part of the new slipway by the yacht club ?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5586 on: September 12, 2014, 09:04:39 am »
Is it because the water depth is greater the nearer to the Little Orme they are? It seems to be from the charts.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5587 on: September 14, 2014, 10:29:25 am »
Campaigners meet with firm in bid to find solution to North Shore erosion

Calls are being made for a tidal lagoon style defence system to be considered to help solve erosion problems at Llandudno's North Shore.
Members of the town’s Restore Our Beach campaign say they have met with Tidal Lagoon Power, the company behind a proposed project in Swansea, and a potential project off Colwyn Bay.
They wanted to see if a lagoon style sea defence would be feasible for Llandudno’s North Shore, which has been battered by high tides.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/lagoon-defences-being-considered-llandudno-7756396

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #5588 on: September 14, 2014, 10:51:37 am »
Be carefull with this.
Look what happened to the West Shore when the "experts" got involved.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5589 on: September 14, 2014, 11:00:42 am »
Be carefull with this. Look what happened to the West Shore when the "experts" got involved.

Fluid dynamics is a notoriously tricky field, but the Lagoon concept is well understood and does have a lot of potential.  Built high enough, wide enough and with a walkable surface it could add a lot in terms of tourism.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5590 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:59 am »
Be carefull with this. Look what happened to the West Shore when the "experts" got involved.

Fluid dynamics is a notoriously tricky field, but the Lagoon concept is well understood and does have a lot of potential.  Built high enough, wide enough and with a walkable surface it could add a lot in terms of tourism.
Not sure what its all about, having a look, too many to link....Google.... "Tidal Lagoon system"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2554126/Worlds-energy-plant-powered-tides-lagoon-planned-Wales-System-supply-120-000-homes-Swans

Offline SteveH

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5592 on: September 16, 2014, 09:25:01 am »
Three Towns Forum development plan September 2014

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/613/LDP15_Llandudno_CA_Management_Plan.pdf
 http://w

ww.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/613/LDP14___Conservation_Areas.pdf

The main problem in the Conservation Areas is poor maintenance of public areas by CCBC themselves:

"The street scene in all Conservation Areas plays an important role in determining its
character. Careful consideration needs to be given to the treatment of features such as
surfacing materials and finishes, street furniture,"

Is this why CCBC has recently installed modern aluminium street lights in the Llandudno Conservation area?

"Historic paving materials survive in a number of places and add a distinctive quality to the
public realm. "

This doesn't stop CCBC removing the paving and replacing it with tarmac on many occasions in the Llandudno Conservation Area.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5593 on: September 16, 2014, 10:56:58 am »
Three Towns Forum development plan September 2014
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/613/LDP15_Llandudno_CA_Management_Plan.pdf
 http://w
ww.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/613/LDP14___Conservation_Areas.pdf

The main problem in the Conservation Areas is poor maintenance of public areas by CCBC themselves:
"The street scene in all Conservation Areas plays an important role in determining its
character. Careful consideration needs to be given to the treatment of features such as
surfacing materials and finishes, street furniture,"

Is this why CCBC has recently installed modern aluminium street lights in the Llandudno Conservation area?
i]"Historic paving materials survive in a number of places and add a distinctive quality to the
public realm. "[/i]
This doesn't stop CCBC removing the paving and replacing it with tarmac on many occasions in the Llandudno Conservation Area.

It appeared to me, they were saying all the right things, in fact I thought I  was reading a piece from the "Business Improvement District" search.
But, in reality you could take each section and find fault, just as Dave did above.

“The measure of a great civilisation is in its cities, and the measure of a city’s greatness is
to be found in the quality of its public spaces, its parks and square” - John Ruskin

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5594 on: September 16, 2014, 01:31:54 pm »
“The measure of a great civilisation is in its cities, and the measure of a city’s greatness is
to be found in the quality of its public spaces, its parks and square” - John Ruskin
What a great quote, I wholeheartedly agree.  $good$