Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2649423 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5850 on: November 22, 2014, 08:38:58 pm »
I personally object to paying an admission charge for events such as this where the prime purpose is to SELL ME something. Antiques fairs also annoy me by having admission charges. I wonder what reaction there would be if all retail outlets of any description, started to make such a charge.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5851 on: November 23, 2014, 06:48:27 am »
It was busy enought when i went at ten,god knows what it was like at one,the traffic was horrendous yesterday obviously proving it kept Llandudno busy and in the top ten,but i think it is time to get rid of at least one of the large tents,its too busy for such small area.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5852 on: November 23, 2014, 12:29:46 pm »
  The idea of charging to enter an area where goods are being sold was originally to create an impression that the goods inside were so unbelievably cheap that every one would be eager to stump up fee.  Even the mighty Matalan tried that idea out through "membership" before you could enter.
  But of course this definitely does not apply to a Xmas fair manned by individual traders, some of whom might be tempted to up their prices to the maximum.
  So, who ever is manning the pay booth is just taking the customers for a ride. That's my opinion.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #5853 on: November 23, 2014, 02:46:14 pm »
Yes, it's £1.50. There's a notice by the entrance kiosk, saying it is organised by Llandudno Development Partnership and no council or individual receives the proceeds.

What I don't understand is, given every stallholder pays a hefty amount to attend the event, why any entrance fee needs to be charged? Where is all the money going?

Come on Dave-- dig around a little and see who is behind it ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5854 on: November 23, 2014, 03:27:50 pm »
"It is being organised and promoted by Llandudno Development Partnership with the assistance of Conwy County Borough Council, Welsh Government, Llandudno Town Council, North Wales Regional Tourism Partnership, Llandudno Hospitality, Mostyn Estates & the Victoria Centre."

With all those organisations helping out and the money from the stallholders, I'm amazed they need to charge any fee!!

Stalls cost from £200 to £600:
http://www.llandudnochristmasfayre.co.uk/images/LCF_FAYRE%20APP%20FORM_2014.pdf
..and there are over 100 stalls participating.

According to this letter on their website, the organisers for Llandudno Development Partnership are a Mr Barry Mortlock and a Mr Simon Burrows.
http://www.llandudnochristmasfayre.co.uk/images/LCF_STALLHOLDER_LETTER_2014.pdf

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5855 on: November 23, 2014, 03:57:43 pm »
Same Barry Mortlock who started Badgers?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5856 on: November 23, 2014, 05:28:11 pm »
I imagine it would be the same one.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5857 on: November 23, 2014, 06:12:31 pm »
wORKED ALLDAY TODAY SO I HAVE NO IDEA HOW BUSY TODAY WAS

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #5858 on: November 24, 2014, 08:43:56 am »

As well as many other things .
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5859 on: November 24, 2014, 06:41:49 pm »
The most frustrating thing for me this weekend, was the large number of visitors to the Pier, who were carrying bags with the Xmas Fayre logo, who merely wanted to complain to me about the entrance fee!

Just imagine it from my point of view, they are coming in to a shop which is free to enter, purely to moan about having to pay into another shop.  Why is it my fault?

Sadly, although I agree with them, it's irrelevant because they have already spent their money elsewhere and I still have to listen to the moaning.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5860 on: November 24, 2014, 09:32:22 pm »
Althought the event seemed to bring a lot of people into the town it seems there where a lot of new people on lots of coaches unaware of charges,we all know no other xmas market charges entry,especially just for us to pay for overpriced goods.Now here lies the problem,do we want it or not,lots of buisnesses have made money in town,who else besides Mr Rose wants to run it.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5861 on: November 25, 2014, 06:34:39 am »
Just watched Ian Turners beach video,i never realised how much rock has been dragged on the sand,it is disgusting and every CCBC has been to told to keep quiet,they are paid to represent us not the leader of CCBC.tHANK GOD IAN IS KEEPING THIS IN THE NEWS.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5862 on: November 25, 2014, 06:35:13 am »
we all know no other xmas market charges entry,especially just for us to pay for overpriced goods

The best ones certainly don't.  There are odd pockets in some cities where admission is charged but folk always have the option.  The only time we've ever paid was in Berlin, where one place was charging.  The rest didn't and were actually better.

Frankly, I believe it gives visitors a bad first impression of the place.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5863 on: November 25, 2014, 09:43:30 am »
we all know no other xmas market charges entry,especially just for us to pay for overpriced goods

The best ones certainly don't.  There are odd pockets in some cities where admission is charged but folk always have the option.  The only time we've ever paid was in Berlin, where one place was charging.  The rest didn't and were actually better.

Frankly, I believe it gives visitors a bad first impression of the place.
Given the financing received from all the various organisations listed earlier, combined with the revenue from stallholders (must be £30,000+), I find it hard to believe that any admission charge needs to be made at all. Where is all the money going?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5864 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:20 am »
Just watched Ian Turners beach video,i never realised how much rock has been dragged on the sand,it is disgusting and every CCBC has been to told to keep quiet,they are paid to represent us not the leader of CCBC.tHANK GOD IAN IS KEEPING THIS IN THE NEWS.

Keeping HIMSELF in the news. As usual  :roll: