Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616622 times)

Offline FatAndy

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6315 on: May 24, 2015, 11:24:05 am »
Hate to dissolution you Fat Andy, but this problem with inconsiderate parking is nothing out of the ordinary. Every weekend is the same, the access to our garage, car space and car park is blocked by cars lined up down the narrow lane, two wheels on the pavement, two in the road way. Our neighbour even had some cheeky soul parked in his own private car park. The police won't shift them, so we have to abandon the idea of using our car at weekend.

Parking on pavements isn't (currently) an offence so unfortunately nobody can do anything about it.  Driving on a pavement is an offence so presumably if the police saw someone driving onto a pavement with the intention of parking there they could take action but once the car has stopped there's nothing they can do.  There was a MP called Martin Horwood who was trying to pass a bill through Parliament that would have made pavement parking an offence but he was a Lib Dem who lost his seat in the election so we can only hope his bill survives without him.  Parking on private land is a civil offence so again there's nothing the police can do about that.

In the case of my in-laws they live in a cul-de-sac which has a road wide enough for two cars leading up to it.  There were already cars parked up one side of the road when some moron came along and tried on the other side, completely blocking access not just for my in-laws but also all the other residents of the cul-de-sac.  This was of particular concern to us because a few years ago my father in law had a massive heart attack and at one point was given half an hour to live.  He somehow survived (the doctors didn't know how) and now has a defibrilator fitted but his heart is now only working to 20% of it's capacity so if anything had happened it would have been difficult to get an ambulance through to the house.  The time taken to smash the windows of the cars in question to enable someone to reach in and release the handbrakes might have made the difference between live and death.

Perhaps we should all write to our MP (we all know how tirelessly he works in the interests of his constituents  :roll:) and ask him to pick up Mr Horwood's old bill and see it through to fruition.

Hopefully in the meantime someone at Conwy Council will issue a proper roasting to the (dis)organisers of the event and ensure that in future they put proper stewarding in place to at least try to mitigate some of the chaos they caused yesterday.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6316 on: May 24, 2015, 12:28:57 pm »

Suggest that this is read, and quoted, this in the event of further parking issues:

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01170/SN01170.pdf

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6317 on: May 25, 2015, 07:50:09 am »
CCBC cannot sort out Mostyn Champneys traffic chaoes every weekend so don/t expect them to sort out one little weekend.

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #6318 on: May 25, 2015, 09:07:44 am »
"our MP (we all know how tirelessly he works in the interests of his constituents  :roll:"

Agree !!!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #6319 on: May 25, 2015, 09:50:31 am »

Suggest that this is read, and quoted, this in the event of further parking issues:

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01170/SN01170.pdf

Thanks Bosun-----the situation was even worse yesterday.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6320 on: May 25, 2015, 03:47:13 pm »
That's really annoying Nemesis and I don't think I'd be as patient as you have been if someone blocked my drive or garage, especially if it was the same vehicles all the time.
I would have to do something rather than putting up with someones inconsiderate parking.    Even in car parks you see people parking without consideration to others and quite often it is the 4 x 4's that don't park between the lines.
Once in Betws Y Coed there was only one car parking space left and a BMW next to it  had driven in on an angle and was a foot inside the last remaining space.  Undeterred I reversed in and folded my driving mirror back and my car was about 6 inches away from his car and the driver's door, so the BMW driver would have had to go in through the passenger side to get to the driver's seat.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #6321 on: May 25, 2015, 05:15:22 pm »
I'm with you on the lack of patience Hugo, many years ago in Rhos I took action and moved a car blocking my drive a short distance, when I needed to get out, however when I returned the police were waiting for me, my young son had told them it was me!!!!!I was given a stern warning and told I could be charged with "taking away".....  :o   ....count to ten in future   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6322 on: May 25, 2015, 05:40:49 pm »
Whatever you do, you must abide by the law, although it seems to favour the perpetrators sometimes.     A few years ago in our street we had a planning application that everyone was opposed to and we had been advised that the CCBC planning committee were coming down the narrow lane in their coach for an on site inspection, so on the day of the visit we quite legally parked our cars in the lane outside our houses.
However, we staggered the cars so that they were parked on both sides of the road and needless to say the coach couldn't manoeuvre its way down the lane.     All perfectly legal of course.     ;)
Food for thought Nemesis.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6323 on: May 25, 2015, 05:57:22 pm »
The only time the police actually turned up, the little short P.C. accused my OH of being stroppy ! Bet he'd be annoyed if he couldn't use his car !

Years ago we had the same problem, in those days I drove a Jag and a traffic warden told my OH that his wife could get her car out, inferring that women were rotten drivers and must drive a small car. His face was a picture when I drove up and he promptly booked the offending car.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6324 on: May 25, 2015, 08:49:04 pm »
   Nemesis --- I could just imagine you in a Jag. OOOhhhh

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #6325 on: May 25, 2015, 09:41:51 pm »
CCBC cannot sort out Mostyn Champneys traffic chaoes every weekend so don/t expect them to sort out one little weekend.

Savills employ a car park "management" company at Mostyn Champneys so why not get them to sort out the problems with the car park.  And I don't expect CCBC to sort out the chaos caused by the airshow, it's up to the organisers to pay for that not council tax payers.

Emo Philips

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6326 on: May 26, 2015, 01:58:23 am »

Savills employ a car park "management" company at Mostyn Champneys so why not get them to sort out the problems with the car park.  And I don't expect CCBC to sort out the chaos caused by the airshow, it's up to the organisers to pay for that not council tax payers.

There is no problem with the car park, I've never had a problem parking there.
The problem is with the whole traffic layout, around MC, Asda and Parc Llandudno, and that is not Savills problem.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6327 on: May 26, 2015, 11:47:06 am »
   Nemesis --- I could just imagine you in a Jag. OOOhhhh

Nay Mike----------------We've had 5 over the last 25 years !

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #6328 on: May 26, 2015, 03:56:23 pm »

There is no problem with the car park, I've never had a problem parking there.
The problem is with the whole traffic layout, around MC, Asda and Parc Llandudno, and that is not Savills problem.

The problem is with Llandudno as a whole, and in particular it's geography.  It's located on an isthmus and consequently has inadequate transportation routes in and out of the town centre and that's unlikely ever to change short of demolishing several housing estates to build new roads.  Mostyn Champneys, Parc Llandudno and Asda are located in places that will always suffer traffic problems at peak times and tweaking the road layouts won't solve those problems.  The mistake was to allow two retail parks and a superstore to be constructed in such an inappropriate location in the first place.  The traffic problems have existed for as long as I can remember so why were Asda and Parc Llandudno allowed to go ahead when it must have been obvious they were going to make matters worse?

I would also add that I've never had a significant problem with the traffic layout around Mostyn Champneys, maybe because I use my loaf and stay away at peak times.  I've had to queue for a few minutes to get in or out but that hardly unique to Mostyn Champneys or Llandudno - try visiting the Grand Junction Retail Park in Crewe on a Saturday afternoon.  Like Mostyn Champneys the Grand Junction site is far to close to the town centre which causes traffic to clog up around the entrance/exit.  Putting a retail park in a town centre is a recipe for disaster, what a shame Savills didn't work that out before deciding where to locate Mostyn Champneys  :roll:.

Emo Philips

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6329 on: May 26, 2015, 07:10:04 pm »
  There is of course a very different side to this coin. Llandudno were fortunate inasmuch as there was available land for large store construction virtually tacked on to the end of the main shopping street.
  So what do you want? A so called out of town shopping development within easy walking distance of the main shopping area. Or an out of town shopping estate well and truly out of town but no traffic problems. But don't complain about the death of the high street.