Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613696 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6360 on: June 10, 2015, 10:14:50 am »
This is a computer mockup of the proposed new Police Station:

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #6361 on: June 10, 2015, 10:18:43 am »
Sneak preview of new £2.75m police station

This is a first sneak preview of what the new eco-friendly police station in Llandudno will look like.

The £2.75 million development has been sanctioned by North Wales Police and Crime Commissioner Winston Roddick CB QC.

The old brick-built police station in Oxford Road isn't fit for purpose and replacing it is part of  the Commissioner's five year Estate Strategy.
The premises were previously a Divisional Headquarters and had a custody suite that was decommissioned in 2004.
Officers and staff will be moving to a temporary police station a few hundred metres away in Argyle Road on June 23.
The force already has planning permission to demolish the existing station and they have begun the consultation process over the plans.
MORE...http://www.north-wales.police.uk/news-and-appeals/llandudno-redevelopment-of-station.aspx

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #6362 on: June 10, 2015, 10:36:24 am »
I don't actually mind it. Bear in mind it's a Police Station and I don't think this is in the Conservation Area (or if it is it must be on the very edge). I think a bit of modern architecture might work well. Not everything can be a pastiche design with a few upv moulding and columns stuck on the front to make it look 'Victorian'.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6363 on: June 10, 2015, 02:34:03 pm »
I actually don't care what it looks like, I just wonder whether they will ever have it open, or have someone actually behind the counter?

In fact, the current one is so seldom used, why not have the Police Station in a 6ft by 6ft kiosk outside Wetherspoons?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6364 on: June 10, 2015, 08:00:50 pm »
In fact, the current one is so seldom used, why not have the Police Station in a 6ft by 6ft kiosk outside Wetherspoons?
I think they should move it to that little disused bus information kiosk outside Take A Break. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #6365 on: June 10, 2015, 09:33:00 pm »
Good idea Dave.........time something happened to it !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6366 on: June 13, 2015, 11:48:23 pm »
Just had a nice meal in the Station Colwyn Bay,arrived early had a walk around a drink in the Royal first and all i can say is thank god i live in Llandudno...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:16:03 am by Ian »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6367 on: June 15, 2015, 02:09:27 pm »
Llandudno sculptor looks forward to restoring town's iconic White Rabbit statue

A North Wales sculptor has spoken of his pride at being given the job of restoring Llandudno’s iconic White Rabbit statue.
Nick Elphick vowed to return the statue in his home town to “perfect condition”, and appealed to the grandson of the rabbit’s original designer to come forward with plans which may help the work.

The Grade II listed statue was unveiled by former Prime Minister David Lloyd George at West Shore in 1933.
After being vandalised, it was removed for repairs by Conwy County Borough Council three years ago.

But there was an outcry when three Llandudno town councillors checked on it and found it unprotected against the elements in a municipal yard in Colwyn Bay.
Cllr Carol Marubbi said she was “shocked” to find the statue in a “terrible state” in storage at the Conwy County Borough Council nursery.
Within days, it had been delivered to Mr Elphick’s studio on Builder Street near Llandudno Police Station.
He said: “I’m well chuffed I’ve got this job. I’m really proud.
“I have trained all my life for this and I can recarve marble. I know what I’m doing. It’ll be perfect.”
But he admitted: “I’m under pressure. This is a big part of Llandudno’s history.”
Mr Elphick, who has a number of other commissions, expects the work to take several months.

He appealed for a descendant of the statue’s original designer to come forward.
He said: “I went to the gym the other day and bumped into this lad. We got talking and he said: ‘My Grandad sculpted that. We still have original drawings in the attic. I’ll give you a call.’
“But he disappeared and I’ve not heard from him.”
Mr Elphick asked the man to get in touch at his studio.

The restored White Rabbit statue will eventually be placed at the tram shelter on Gloddaeth Street.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-sculptor-looks-forward-restoring-9456428
 &shake&
Although an important part of llandudno's history, it would be interesting to know the cost of this restoration.......Also if the proposed move to the tram shelter is considered secure enough, bearing in mind the previous vandalism.

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
« Reply #6368 on: June 15, 2015, 10:41:10 pm »
I hope it lasts well on it new site at the tram shelter but I don't think it will

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6369 on: June 16, 2015, 11:18:29 am »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/frank-turner-play-llandudnos-venue-9458929

Venue Cymru are starting to turn it around - a host of quality acts lately

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6370 on: June 17, 2015, 11:39:14 am »
CRICKET CLUB: An overheated florescent light fitting filled the kitchen of a cricket club with smoke.
Firefighters were called to Llandudno Cricket Club on The Oval just after 7.38am this morning.
Two crews from the town attended to find a light fixture had overheated.
Some smoke and heat damage was caused to the building.refDP.

CRASH: Reports of accident on A546 Gloddaeth Street around York Road.
CRASH: Police say the crash in Gloddaeth Strett, Llandudno is not serious. No injuries are believed to have been reported.DP

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6371 on: June 17, 2015, 12:03:53 pm »
This fire at the cricket club has really knocked them for six

$thanx$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6372 on: June 17, 2015, 12:08:56 pm »
At least they are not playing for the ashes..... :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6373 on: June 17, 2015, 12:34:29 pm »
Now you're being silly (mid off)  :laugh:

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6374 on: June 17, 2015, 11:12:48 pm »
those last three posts had me bowled over.