Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613801 times)

Offline ed jones

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6840 on: January 24, 2016, 11:40:37 am »
Makes me want to get back up there (you never know) $walesflag$  :)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6841 on: January 25, 2016, 01:49:30 pm »
Sunrise from four different locations  in Llandudno earlier this morning. It wasn't as cold out on my bike as I thought it would be after hearing the forecast last night!

I really like those photos Gwynant     They are very effective but what unearthly hour of the day did you take them at? 
      I've always got up early Hugo throughout my working life, (old habits die hard!), and so if it's a nice morning I nearly always have a ride on my bike around the town,

Rather you than me Gwynant,  I worked for about 40 years getting up about 6.00am and returning home about 6.00pm and in the Winter months I left home for work when it was dark and returned home in the dark.
So for me now there is no alarm clock or even a watch, it's like being on holiday all the time in my golden years.
Jack is another early riser like yourself and when I'm just starting walks up the Carneddau I find out that Jack has already been up to the summits and back down again!
The Summer is different though and it's nice to get up early then and enjoy the day.   I'm pleased to know that you're doing so well after that hip operation, it's really great what they can do nowadays.  Don't forget to post some of your walks on here to as Tellytubby and myself liked the ones you have posted already

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6842 on: January 25, 2016, 04:09:15 pm »
 [/quote]
The Summer is different though and it's nice to get up early then and enjoy the day.   I'm pleased to know that you're doing so well after that hip operation, it's really great what they can do nowadays.  Don't forget to post some of your walks on here to as Tellytubby and myself liked the ones you have posted already
[/quote]

The weather has been so poor recently Hugo that we haven't been very far off the beaten track lately , and we certainly haven't done anything worthy of photographic evidence !  Owing to elderly in-law commitments I have been quite restricted for the last couple of years for full days out but this has now been resolved so I hope to do a bit more this year as the days lengthen and the weather improves.
       Incidentally, I had absolutely no idea of the existence of the shed on top of "The Elms" featured in the latest Quiz question, although I must have walked past it hundreds of times. I had been searching on Google Maps for sheds in back gardens all over the Orme from the Ski Slope to Llys Helig Drive! 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6843 on: January 25, 2016, 06:28:35 pm »
I had thought that the shed question would be too easy and was expecting someone to answer it in the morning.  I cropped both sides so you couldn't see the background and was a little economical with the truth when I said the photo was taken on the Great Orme.
It was taken from Hill Terrace on the lower slopes of the Orme on Saturday when we had a walk on the Marine Drive
You can get your own back next time.    ;D

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6844 on: January 26, 2016, 07:28:03 am »
 :P Don;t forget you get the chance to be live on tv this Saturday teatime,oh and the chance too support your hometown,Llandudno fc v Airbus 5.15 ko.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6845 on: January 26, 2016, 11:45:42 am »
The Gales this morning have blown out the window of Caffe Nero. Sure is windy! Photo courtesy Daily Post Live Blog.

Damage has also been reported to the glass canopy of the Carlton pub.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6847 on: January 26, 2016, 02:34:08 pm »
The Gales this morning have blown out the window of Caffe Nero. Sure is windy! Photo courtesy Daily Post Live Blog.

Sorry but I had to put this !

It went for a Burton ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6848 on: January 26, 2016, 03:12:46 pm »
The waves were quite rough on the promenade as I drove past earlier today but nothing compared to the West Shore which took the brunt of the gale.

Offline mull

« Reply #6849 on: January 27, 2016, 11:49:27 am »
What is the big ship doing ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6850 on: January 27, 2016, 12:47:21 pm »

Offline mull

« Reply #6851 on: January 28, 2016, 10:15:17 am »
Thought it looked big for trips from the pier !

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6852 on: January 29, 2016, 08:50:28 am »
Once again, I have had time to marvel at the utter stupidity of the people from CCBC who thought it would be a good idea to use the Trollibocs as the recycling system for householders in exposed coastal locations like Llandudno. The high winds last night have resulted in recycling boxes scattered far and wide across town, along with their contents - newspapers, tins, bits of cardboard, bottles, all festooned over roads, lawns, gardens, bushes.

One has to laugh when recalling the comments of the Councillor who introduced it:

Cllr Mike Priestley, Portfolio Holder for Highways, Environment and Sustainability, said: "Recycling is really important to the people of Conwy.  For years, our residents have asked us to make it easier and we have listened.  Trials of the Trolibocs over the last year have been a great success and every day, people make contact wanting to know when they will get a Trolibocs.  I'm delighted to say that by the spring, householders will have a Trolibocs and the days of different boxes and bags blowing away will be a thing of the past."
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=11469&doc=35310&Language=1

It's interesting to note that other areas have exactly the same problem; the Trolibocs is simply not fit for purpose:
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/13902555.Petition_launched_and_protest_planned_against_controversial_new_recycling_system/

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6853 on: January 29, 2016, 10:58:06 am »
Unfortunately a lot of the problem is where to put these boxes ready to be collected. Once emptied they can be tucked away, hopefully, out of the wind.
Also a lot of people put things in that shouldn't be there, the bin men leave the lot, the owners either aren't around, or don't bother to collect them from the roadside. Thus we have this morning's scenario, overturned, smashed boxes and unwashed rubbish in everyone else's property.
If used properly, the idea works, if not, it makes a bigger mess than the original set up. :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6854 on: January 29, 2016, 04:46:55 pm »
It's a shame to post something out of the Daily Himmler but if you scroll down Adolf Littlejohn's bile rantings of hate in the DFM today you will see Llandudno gets a mention  &shake&

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3422029/We-ll-import-paper-boys-Lithuania-EU-meddlers-target-teenagers-jobs-RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-says-example-Brussels-tentacles-interfering-aspect-lives.html

Feeding off the success of Strictly, ballroom dancing has enjoyed a strong revival. It's particularly popular among people of a certain age, who not only remember the heyday of the local Palais but find tripping the light fantastic a far more agreeable way to keep fit than pumping iron.
Naturally, this has not gone unnoticed in elf'n'safety circles. Those who dedicate their lives to saving us from ourselves have been quick to identify the inherent risks to life and limb posed by the tango and the peppermint twist.
A couple of years ago, I brought you news that Blackpool Council had ordered 16 wooden dance-floors at centres used by pensioners to be carpeted over. There were fears that they could fall and hurt themselves.
Now we learn that in some areas, ballroom dancing is being banned altogether. For the past eight years, Saturday night hops have been held at the Trinity Centre, in Llandudno, North Wales, regularly attracting up to 40 dancers aged between 60 and 85.
But permission for the dances has just been withdrawn. The management was concerned that the floor was becoming too slippery because some people were using accelerant on the soles of their shoes.
I have visions of ultra-competitive dancers spraying their pumps with WD40 to gain an advantage in the fandango, only to find themselves slip-slidin' away like Bambi on ice and causing motorway-style multiple pile-ups.
Dance organisers Ted and Doris Harding, from Colwyn Bay, say if the floor is dangerous it is only because the centre is using the wrong kind of polish. Accidents do happen, admittedly. My mate Charlie once ended up in A&E after breaking his ankle while foolishly attempting the jitterbug at an over-65s singles night. But that's still no reason to ban it.
The next time elf'n'safety tries to stop you doing the Wall Street Shuffle, just tell them to foxtrot oscar.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3422029/We-ll-import-paper-boys-Lithuania-EU-meddlers-target-teenagers-jobs-RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-says-example-Brussels-tentacles-interfering-aspect-lives.html#ixzz3yeWzOEcb
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook