Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614123 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6885 on: February 04, 2016, 06:48:45 pm »
We all agree that the situation is far from perfect and some postings have made practical, sensible and workable suggestions for the problems we all face, but no-one that is complaining has actually made any suggestions for improvement or stated that they have contacted their Councillor or CCBC to try and improve things.

In parts of Greater Manchester/Lancs, households have four wheelie bins, they are a nightmare to store and they too blow over in strong winds, so that's not the best solution. 

It appears that the only adequate solution for some would be a personalised recycling collection service at a time and day of their choice, rather oblivious to the fact that this would be at the expense of every other council service, rather than take some personal responsibility themselves. Families, households and the occupants of multi-occupied buildings in the majority of the UK and Europe find the time and effort to keep their communities free from re-cycling waste and litter, and so should we.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:10:28 am by Ian »
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6886 on: February 04, 2016, 08:37:49 pm »
'on-one' should actually read 'no one'....
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6887 on: February 04, 2016, 10:17:12 pm »
Or what if you're bin clatters into someone's car? They are too light for purpose and are a danger

I'll tell you exactly what happens when that occurs!

Last year during an almighty gale, most of our neighbour's wheelie bins flew down the hill, and came to rest against my car.
There was a nice dent to the passenger door, so the following happened.
1, I phoned up CCBC,
2, They gave me a number for Zurich Insurance
3, I fill in all the forms, send the pics etc.
4, Zurich Insurance do nothing
5, I chase them up after a few months.
6, Zurich Insurance tell me to sod off.
7, I complain to CCBC,
8. They agree to collect all wheelie bins from the neighbours property instead.

Within a month, it's all back to square one, operatives forget to collect bins.... they end up outside my house, and the whole charade begins again.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6888 on: February 05, 2016, 12:36:24 pm »
It's preventable though. the bins just need to be adapted to be anchored on and off in some way, I'm no engineer but If Asda trolleys can come to a halt as soon as they know they have left the car park then the technology exists to stop bins flying around everywhere!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6889 on: February 05, 2016, 12:37:39 pm »
Anyway on to happier news

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/158258/llandudno-air-show-cancelled.aspx

LLANDUDNO Air Show has been cancelled after organisers said new safety regulations make it impossible to hold the event this year.

This year's show was scheduled to be staged over the May bank holiday weekend but new regulations issued in January governing such events, from the Civil Aviation Authority following a fatal accident at the Shoreham Air Show in Sussex last year, have significantly influenced the decision to cancel it.

Edward Hiller, managing director of land owners Mostyn Estates Ltd who organise the event in aid of armed forces charities, and to provide an early season attraction for local people and visitors to the resort, said the decision to cancel this year’s show hadn’t been taken lightly but the timescale to allow the implementation of all the new rules was too short.

He said: “A number of factors have led us to this decision. The key one being the recently published CAA regulations following the accident at Shoreham last summer. We will need to review how these new requirements would impact on ours and other displays over the course of the year, though we are hopeful we will be able to resume a show at Llandudno in 2017.

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #6890 on: February 05, 2016, 12:54:50 pm »
Shame that...brought a lot of people into Llandudno and kick started the season.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6891 on: February 05, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »
I'm no engineer but If Asda trolleys can come to a halt as soon as they know they have left the car park then the technology exists to stop bins flying around everywhere!

Very different problems. An Asda trolley has little wind resistance, for a start, and is inherently better in terms of a lower centre of Gravity. Bins are not only higher, but solid, making them exceptionally susceptible to gusts, particularly when empty, which is when the Asda trolley's lack of wind resistance comes into its own.

There are answers, of course, but most involve either increasing the unladen weight, so the more elderly are going to find them an issue to move, or installing snap-link locking systems, and these depend on there always being somewhere they can be snapped-linked to. Alternatively, a solution being deployed in some areas is to create small, wind-proof bin refuges on each road, and then insisting the resident all move their bins to the refuge the night before.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #6892 on: February 05, 2016, 03:41:23 pm »
Ian that is a very good idea to create small bin refuges, if there is the space that is. If anyone feels they would like to make a complaint regarding their bins etc., Councillor Dave Cowans is your man, he now deals with refuse collecting and is a really nice guy. Mike Priestly is now Cabinet Member for Communication (Customer Services, Health & Safety, Human Resources)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6893 on: February 05, 2016, 04:27:08 pm »
It's preventable though. the bins just need to be adapted to be anchored on and off in some way, I'm no engineer but If Asda trolleys can come to a halt as soon as they know they have left the car park then the technology exists to stop bins flying around everywhere!
         For those of us who have something that the trolibox can be secured to I attach a couple of photos to show what can be done simply and easily to prevent it moving and falling over.I used a couple of cable ties to tie a bungee elastic to the wheeled frame and drilled two holes to hook it on to when it's not required, and prevent it getting lost. The bins can be lifted on and off easily and the weight of the slotted top box should stop them blowing off the frame.I realise that this might be a problem if the collection wagon cannot get near the trolibox but they can back right up to our gate in our cul-de-sac. I spoke to the lads on the wagon again today and they said they were OK with the arrangement.  $good$

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6894 on: February 05, 2016, 04:44:28 pm »
Gwynant, that's a brilliant post. I have a similar system and have put the same on a couple of OAP neighbours units as well, it works. 

I have also forwarded this post to Dave Cowans so that he is aware of local comments on the current system. Knowing Dave, he'll take it all on board.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #6895 on: February 05, 2016, 05:20:19 pm »
They should give you an award for innovation Gwynant. I shall be telling all my neighbours about it as soon as, we are sick and tired of Friday morning chaos in our area on blustery days.  $good$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6896 on: February 06, 2016, 03:54:44 pm »
Stars talk to Len Goodman about their childhood holidays in North Wales

In episode 17 on Tuesday, February 23, model and presenter Melanie Sykes back to Llandudno to look back at the holiday of her lifetime back in 1980.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiejrLrvuPKAhVB1BoKHf4_C4cQqQIIJDAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailypost.co.uk%2Fnews%2Ftv%2Fstars-talk-len-goodman-childhood-10820033&usg=AFQjCNFXwyRhG6ddxblXFFeVm1RZdEYRPQ

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #6897 on: February 06, 2016, 06:13:36 pm »
I remember us walking past them outside the ice cream parlour in Upper Mostyn Street.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6898 on: February 08, 2016, 09:46:49 am »
This move would be wrong on so many levels that I'm surprised that it's even being considered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35520036

I for one am strongly opposed and I would take some convincing to change my mind.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6899 on: February 08, 2016, 09:55:20 am »
This move would be wrong on so many levels that I'm surprised that it's even being considered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35520036

I for one am strongly opposed and I would take some convincing to change my mind.
I agree, it's completely ridiculous.  &shake&