Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612697 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6900 on: February 09, 2016, 03:46:36 pm »
It's all about saving money with the budget cuts. I watched the live Webcast of this meeting and if they go for 4 weekly there will be a saving of £558,000 per year. All the other collections will stay the same and there will be one added for nappies/personal hygiene pads. Councillor Chris Cater wanted to know about dog poo and cat litter which was appropriate given that he is also a Vet. A few interesting facts came up, one about the trolley blocs and how they don't fare well in bad weather. An Officer stated you could revert back to using the old containers in windy weather. Wish I had known that before I gave them back. The Council have to hit a target of 64% saving on recycling and we are at 59% at the moment, or face a large fine. Next target will be 70%. They will be doing spot checks on people's bins to see if they are doing as they should, but didn't mention what would happen if they didn't. The fact is when peoples bins are full they tend to start putting their rubbish into others, so that could be a problem in itself.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6901 on: February 09, 2016, 04:00:10 pm »
If they did save £558k on bin collections that would soon be out-weighed by the amount needed to be spent to clear up the massive increase in fly-tipping.
I'm sure there is an easy £558k to be saved by chopping out some of the highly paid middle and senior management at CCBC.

I'm still uncertain how they work out that less collections will mean more recycling as a percentage of the total, unless they are absolutely certain that what can be recycled now is not being done,
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #6902 on: February 09, 2016, 04:23:47 pm »
I think the idea is, if you regularly fill up your bin with everything (some people refuse to recycle) you will be forced to recycle, as you won't have anywhere else to put it with 4 weekly collections.
I agree with your chopping staff statement Fester. I have had to attend quite a few Council meeting recently and one in particular there were 3 Planning Officers and only one spoke for less than five minutes in almost 2 hours. If you watch webcasts it's an eye opener as to how many there are of them and they sit there looking bored and don't say a word. The latest total waste of rate payers money is the LDP which cost over 1 million, they are already departing from it and it has only been out less than 2 years.  :(

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6903 on: February 09, 2016, 04:57:10 pm »
I think the idea is, if you regularly fill up your bin with everything (some people refuse to recycle) you will be forced to recycle, as you won't have anywhere else to put it with 4 weekly collections.
I agree with your chopping staff statement Fester. I have had to attend quite a few Council meeting recently and one in particular there were 3 Planning Officers and only one spoke for less than five minutes in almost 2 hours. If you watch webcasts it's an eye opener as to how many there are of them and they sit there looking bored and don't say a word. The latest total waste of rate payers money is the LDP which cost over 1 million, they are already departing from it and it has only been out less than 2 years.  :(

If they're selfish enough not to recycle, trust me they will be selfish enough to dump their rubbish wherever they see fit. Which will probably be our back gardens!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6904 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:28 pm »
You're spot on BTR,  I know a few people who don't recycle but they burn the paper, cardboard and plastics in their garden instead.

I was in Pigeon's Cove around the Marine Drive recently and someone had dumped a VCR player over the wall and it was in bits on the ledge by the caves.  It's typical of a certain type of person.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6905 on: February 11, 2016, 11:22:01 am »
Not a wise move considering the fumes given off by burning plastic !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6906 on: February 11, 2016, 11:24:47 pm »
If CCBC are a bit short in their quest to recycle, then maybe they should send a crew up to clean up the Great Orme, where I estimate they will amass about half a million tons of plastic, glass, tins and cardboard... much of which has been floating around for a few weeks now.
There.... EU target achieved, Fine avoided.... Council Tax rise avoided?   (yeah right)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6907 on: February 20, 2016, 07:48:56 am »
Some brilliant shots of the town beach covered in sand on facebook,i still don;t understand why(, leaving the quarry out of the equation)THE REST OF THE BEACH IS NOT DRAGGED AND CLEARED OF PEBBLE,BOULDER ETC,can;t understand why nobody seems bothered in just clearing what we have left,not one person even mentions it,not a hotelier,politian(TOWN COUNCIL),newspapers,we go onand on and on about the quarry but when is somebody going to get the beach cleared.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #6908 on: February 20, 2016, 07:58:52 pm »
Some brilliant shots of the town beach covered in sand on facebook,i still don;t understand why nobody seems bothered in just clearing what we have left,not one person even mentions it,not a hotelier,politian(TOWN COUNCIL),newspapers,we go onand on and on about the quarry but when is somebody going to get the beach cleared.

It's not in the Hoteliers interest to bring negatives to their customers attention Wrex. If it's not good news keep quiet.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6909 on: February 23, 2016, 11:47:59 am »
There's a Council Meeting today to decide if the Wheelie Bins will be collected once a month, instead of the present Fortnightly:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-councils-four-week-bin-10935924

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6910 on: February 23, 2016, 07:06:07 pm »
I enjoyed watching "Holiday of my lifetime"   with Len Goodman on BBC 1 this afternoon.    It featured Melanie Sykes revisiting Llandudno and had many nice shots of the town.
It will be a good advert for the town        $good$

She stayed at the Heath House Hotel in Deganwy in Marine Crescent but the hotel has now been demolished.  Bellringer posted a reply to an enquiry about the hotel some time ago on the forum

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6911 on: February 23, 2016, 08:03:55 pm »
We also watched the programme, as you say,  ..a good advert for Llandudno.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6912 on: February 24, 2016, 09:09:55 am »
There's a Council Meeting today to decide if the Wheelie Bins will be collected once a month, instead of the present Fortnightly:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-councils-four-week-bin-10935924
The Council have agreed to change the collection of Wheelie Bins to once every three weeks. I trust that there will be a corresponding decrease in my Council Tax? &shake&

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/area-conwy-trial-four-weekly-10939466

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #6913 on: February 24, 2016, 09:56:06 am »
"The Council have agreed to change the collection of Wheelie Bins to once every three weeks. I trust that there will be a corresponding decrease in my Council Tax?"

That made me larf

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6914 on: March 08, 2016, 12:24:02 pm »
Has 'featured' on this forum before

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-man-austin-michael-bellew-11004396

very sad.

A missing North Wales man whose body was found six miles off the Wirral coast has been named.

Austin Michael Bellew was discovered in the sea on February 24 by a passing boat crew.

This afternoon, an inquest was opened into the death of the 41-year-old of Caroline Road, Llandudno, who was identified by his fingerprints and tattoos.

North Wales central coroner John Gittins said unemployed Mr Bellew was found in the sea at the mouth of the Dee Estuary off Talacre.

A crew on board a boat which takes workers to and from a wind farm made the grim discovery and alerted the coastguard at about 10.30pm.

A lifeboat was deployed from Hoylake and the badly decomposed body was taken ashore.

A post mortem was carried out at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, with the cause of death unascertained pending toxicology.

The findings were deferred to inquest to a date yet to be fixed.