Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613368 times)

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6960 on: April 09, 2016, 05:02:04 pm »
Is the Camera Obscura still only open on Tuesdays and, if so, what are the opening hours? I've tried for years to find it open so hopefully I may just manage it the day after the Victorian Extravaganza ends.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6961 on: April 09, 2016, 09:40:22 pm »
   Just on a practical point probably the best person to ask about the Camera Obscura opening times would be the young lady that runs the family cafe at the bottom. She keeps her eyes out on everything going on round there

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6962 on: April 10, 2016, 04:42:04 pm »
   Just on a practical point probably the best person to ask about the Camera Obscura opening times would be the young lady that runs the family cafe at the bottom. She keeps her eyes out on everything going on round there

Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6963 on: April 11, 2016, 02:20:52 am »
OK, I got drunk tonight, as you can tell by the time of this post,  but....
.... I have come to realise that the town's pubs and clubs are thriving, but only after 11pm, and only if they offer FREE entry,

Let me explain.
We got to The Snooze and the Gresham by about 9pm, and they were so empty that after serving us, they decided to close.
We moseyed down to The Fountains at 10pm,  getting busier, but across the road, The London and Cooneys,  no one in.
Cooney's has had a change of decor, and gone 'up market',   big mistake, HUGE mistake.

We spent the rest of the night in The Town House and the Cross Keys,  terrible pubs in themselves these days, (and I used to love them)... but they are offering cheap beer,  Karaoke, and free entry...... and they are RAKING it in, because they understand their market.  All the familiar faces were there, and everyone enjoying themselves.
Bless them,, I've had a great night,  and once I sober up,  I'm going to do it again!   ZXZ
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #6964 on: April 11, 2016, 01:46:56 pm »
Don't think the Keys is such a bad pub. As you said, it knows what it is and has cheap booze. At least there's generally some chat there.

That said, their beer offer is terrible. Brains or bust for me.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6965 on: April 12, 2016, 01:06:11 pm »
               When I was out this morning I noticed small a recycling multi-bin by the cenotaph,(see attached  pic), and there is also one by the station and I assume they must also be in various other busy areas around the town. It was comprised of 4 separate compartments for paper, card, plastic and and "litter", but no compartment for bottles, glass  etc.  As all the recycling bins have been removed recently from ASDA car park I think these smaller bins must be a "gentle nudge" by CCBC to increase public awareness about recycling, which in itself is no bad thing. However when I worked in ASDA the recycling area was always busy with customers and also local businesses emptying their empty bottles and cans, newspapers, cardboard packaging  etc which would fill up these new little bins in an hour. The down side of the recycling area was that we sometimes used to come in to work in the morning and there were TVs, mattresses, bedsteads, furniture and gardening rubbish etc all over the place, which the car park staff had to clean up and put in the compacting skip in the warehouse. I know there are still bigger bins available in the car park at Maelgwyn Road but it was always a handy spot in ASDA, and customers used to bring their recycling in when they did their shopping.  I believe the bins were removed because of the fly-tipping problem, and there is a notice saying "NO FLY-TIPPING, you are being watched, CCTV in operation" there now but ASDA has had a CCTV camera there for years and to my knowledge nobody was ever identified or prosecuted, but I could be wrong. The other "down" point of the removal of all the recycling bins there is the fact that the Charity Bins for shoes, books, clothes etc which were also removed at the same time must be a big loss to the various charities as they were always well used.
    On another subject I have attached a pic of the blocked drains on the West Shore prom, no wonder the rainwater cannot get away!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #6966 on: April 12, 2016, 01:38:05 pm »
"On another subject I have attached a pic of the blocked drains on the West Shore prom, no wonder the rainwater cannot get away!"

I had a similar problem sometime ago, it took me an hour with an angle grinder, to create a small channel and smooth with cement...........cost ...pennies.
Now I wonder how long CCBC will take, and how £££££££££££££  :(

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6967 on: April 14, 2016, 03:28:31 pm »
The Wales National Air Show will go ahead free of charge despite added £20,000 cost
The hugely popular Wales National Air Show will still take place free of charge this summer, organisers have conformed, despite plans by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to impose fees of £20,000 on major air shows in the wake of the Shoreham Air Disaster.

"Public safety will always be the event’s main priority, so we’ll continue to liaise with the Civil Aviation Authority.”
The aviation regulator has published its final report into how safety regulations will be tightened at UK air shows following the Shoreham disaster.

The CAA has increased the minimum altitude at which ex-military jets can perform aerobatic manoeuvres, increased the minimum distance of separation between a civil display and a crowd, and strengthened the requirements for post-display reports in a bid to improve the quality of feedback on safety issues.
Earlier this year the regulator announced other regulations such as enhanced risk assessments and tougher checks on the experience, skill and health of pilots.

This year’s Llandudno Air Show was cancelled soon after and Edware Hiller, MD of Mostyn Estates which runs the show, was unavailable for comment about how the increased fee might affect future shows.

The CAA has announed it is increasing its charges for air show organisers to fund the new safety measures. Larger displays could face an increase from £2,695 to more than £20,000.
The CAA has claimed that the proposed increase in fees would be covered by a rise of “just a few pence per ticket” for some small shows and “less than 20p” for larger ones.

Supporters of air shows have urged the CAA to mitigate the impact of the new charges.
The Keep Air Shows Airborne campaign called for costs to be met with Lottery funding for air shows raising money for charity, and any increase in fees to be postponed until next year.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-national-air-show-go-11183877

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6968 on: April 16, 2016, 07:06:51 pm »
Llandudno Air Show has already been cancelled this year.
Edward Hiller, of Llandudno Air Show organisers Mostyn Estates, said the new rules are “more exacting” but that there is still huge public support for the air show to make a comeback.
He said: “I’m pleased we made the decision (to cancel) earlier rather than later.
But there is a strong will from the public and other organisations in the town to see it brought back.”

Rhyl Air Show to go ahead despite more Civil Aviation Authority guidelines
Denbighshire County Council says it remains “committed” to running Rhyl Air Show on August 27 and 28, after it attracted more than 140,000 spectators last year.
MORE   http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rhyl-air-show-go-ahead-11193308

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6969 on: April 21, 2016, 05:54:33 pm »
That old cage looked awful and didn't really do much to protect the statue. Hopefully having it in a more visible location will help deter vandalism.
I do not think it will, it would not take much to damage it beyond repair, there must be a more secure, yet public site available
The Mayor of Llandudno has appealed for vandals to stay away after officially unveiling the town’s repaired White Rabbit statue     
The Mayor of Llandudno has appealed for the town's new look White Rabbit statue to be respected.
On Saturday, it was relocated to land beside a former tram shelter in Gloddaeth Street.
The marble figure, inspired by Lewis Carroll’s 150-year-old classic book Alice in Wonderland, had been at West Shore but was vandalised.

It was recently repaired by Llandudno sculptor Nick Elphick after having been removed in 2012.
“I don’t believe it would be sufficiently protected by a barrier. But if parents told their children about the value of the statue to the town, and the Alice in Wonderland story, perhaps people will respect the statue and leave it there.”

Do you know who fixed Llandudno's white rabbit?
A phantom fixer took the time to mend Llandudno’s iconic white rabbit following a suspected vandal attack.
The Grade-II listed object on West Shore was discovered with its pocket watch and left paw detached yesterday morning (April 20).
But by the afternoon the parts had curiously been glued back on and covered with tape.

Llandudno Town Council, which owns the statue, and Conwy County Council were unaware of the incident until contacted by the Daily Post.

Mayor Cllr Frank Bradfield, said: “Initially I was devastated to hear the news but heartened that somebody loves the statue as much as the council, staff and public do and glued it back on.

“Protecting the statue is something we need to discuss in the future. There are plans underway to put a border around the statue, which I unveiled last year.”
However, it was repeatedly targeted by vandals, so council officials took it away in 2012 to a Conwy County Council yard in Colwyn Bay to be repaired.

Llandudno sculptor Nick Elphick has restored the town's iconic White Rabbit statue.
The town council is now investigating.

Cllr Bradfield, who said he hoped this latest damage was done accidentally, added: “I would particularly like to thank the person who repaired the statue.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/you-know-who-fixed-llandudnos-11222165

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6970 on: April 23, 2016, 04:52:16 pm »
I had a look at the statue today, half expecting it to have been taken away for safe keeping? but still there, the tape has been removed and you can see were it was broken.

“Protecting the statue is something we need to discuss in the future."
Is that after it has been irreparably damaged.

"Llandudno sculptor Nick Elphick has restored the town's iconic White Rabbit statue.
How much did that cost.

“I would particularly like to thank the person who repaired the statue.”
I hope the person (well meaning) who repaired the statue had some experience.

And a quote from a year ago.
“I don’t believe it would be sufficiently protected by a barrier. But if parents told their children about the value of the statue to the town, and the Alice in Wonderland story, perhaps people will respect the statue and leave it there.”     &shake&

It needs to be protected now, before it is to late.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6971 on: April 24, 2016, 12:32:38 pm »
  Do the "people" (for want of a better word) who destruct in this way realise the upset their actions impose on other people? Or don't they care? Or even maybe that's why they do it. It's not the act of destruction that gives them a high. It's the thought that hundreds will be mildly upset. Or maybe badly upset.
  It's at times like this that I think the one and only good thing Hitler did was to eradicate this behaviour

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6972 on: April 24, 2016, 01:36:28 pm »
...but through organised acts of wilful destruction...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6973 on: April 24, 2016, 11:50:44 pm »
... until he himself was destroyed by violence...  ;D ;D
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6974 on: April 28, 2016, 06:35:49 pm »
Right now....  There are billions of little bits of freezing ice falling from the sky, and bouncing off my bald head!!
Fester...