Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613190 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7470 on: April 21, 2017, 11:35:01 am »
Despite the fact that I have read that the businesses in the area are operating normally I dread to think how much dirt is being generated, not to mention the amount of 'homeless vermin' which will be scuttling around. The town has a large rat population and I should think that a fair few will be wandering about looking for new homes. Agggh ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7471 on: April 21, 2017, 11:55:59 am »
I saw this article about whether the Victorian Extravaganza is still going ahead.    Do you know any more Nemesis?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/llandudno-victorian-extravaganza-2017-transport-12918977

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7472 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:56 pm »
I haven't heard that it has been cancelled, but I will look on Facebook. Hope not, or there will be some very angry people in the town !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7473 on: April 21, 2017, 01:41:00 pm »
After the Fireworks debacle, that wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7474 on: April 21, 2017, 05:03:14 pm »
Does anybody know why the hotel demolition has suddenly stopped?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7475 on: April 21, 2017, 05:24:29 pm »
Does anybody know why the hotel demolition has suddenly stopped?
I had a look today, and was surprised to see the site empty, I am assuming the imminent collapse situation is over, as they have reopened the pedestrian access, ...... it is Friday, early finish ?
Looking at the pile of rubble, that is going to be a massive dirty job, with lots of dumper trucks causing more traffic problems, maybe they are leaving it until after the holiday?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7476 on: April 21, 2017, 05:58:44 pm »
It was empty when I passed at 1.30pm.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7477 on: April 22, 2017, 01:19:55 pm »
I have noticed a vintage London transport "Red bus" doing the Llandudno, Deganwy, Conwy sightseeing tour route, is this new. ?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7478 on: April 22, 2017, 04:09:59 pm »
I have noticed a vintage London transport "Red bus" doing the Llandudno, Deganwy, Conwy sightseeing tour route, is this new. ?

It's new to Llandudno, not a 'new' bus.
Very nice innit?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7479 on: April 22, 2017, 05:25:54 pm »
I haven't yet seen the former Llandudno UDC bus to date outside the pier entrance.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7480 on: April 27, 2017, 03:50:02 pm »
Hugo, I wouldn't want to be staying on the top floor of the Broadway Hotel this weekend and I certainly wouldn't recommend an ice cream sundae sitting outside Fortes for the foreseeable future.

While Mrs H was doing some shopping in lower Mostyn Street I thought that I'd have a stroll down to the Castle Hotel to see what was going on.   The weather was cold and windy and it had started raining so I only took one photo and quickly returned to my car.
As I passed Fortes two young women were sat outside having a coffee and a cigarette, so sad really, sitting out in a cold, windy and wet place and looking at an eyesore.   A few feet away, they could have enjoyed a coffee in warm and comfortable surroundings.  The addiction must have got the better of the two.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #7481 on: April 27, 2017, 04:09:14 pm »
I got talking to the chap who was in charge of the demolition and he said "If you think this side is bad, you want to go round and look at the other side" (Conwy Rd / Vaughan St corner) "It's worse than this side" So it's quite possible the whole place will have to come down, just like Anwyl did to the Gogarth Abbey.  :rage:
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7482 on: April 27, 2017, 04:58:50 pm »
Good news - I have just driven down the right-hand side lane of Conway Road past Parc Llandudno, then round the front of the Tudno Castle Hotel and back along Mostyn Broadway.

My car is now back on the driveway where it will stay until next Tuesday.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7483 on: April 27, 2017, 05:18:09 pm »
I got talking to the chap who was in charge of the demolition and he said "If you think this side is bad, you want to go round and look at the other side" (Conwy Rd / Vaughan St corner) "It's worse than this side" So it's quite possible the whole place will have to come down, just like Anwyl did to the Gogarth Abbey.  :rage:

Can we expect another planning application on the grounds that it's not viable to retain the original facade?             ?{}?      ££££££

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7484 on: April 27, 2017, 05:38:12 pm »
Good news - I have just driven down the right-hand side lane of Conway Road past Parc Llandudno, then round the front of the Tudno Castle Hotel and back along Mostyn Broadway.
Llandudno hotel demolition road closure to end in time for extravaganza

The demolition of the façade on Mostyn Broadway is now complete, and removal of the debris will take place over the next week or so.
As the hotel is listed, the façade will be rebuilt as it was before the demolition.

As a precaution, an engineer will be on site all weekend to continue monitoring the remaining structure and digital monitoring will be in place from next week.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/llandudno-hotel-demolition-road-closure-12954635