Author Topic: Parking in Llandudno (Mostyn Champneys)  (Read 31527 times)

Offline martin

Parking "Fines" Mostyn Champneys Retail Park
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 04:48:23 pm »
Over the months there have been a number of people posting on the forum that have received park penalties from the car park operators of the retail park.  The advice given by members of the forum has always been to ignore the request for money.  Has anyone who did ignore the letters requesting payment of the "fines" had any follow up from the company, perhaps threatening legal action and the like? The reason I am asking is that a friend of mine has today received a penalty notice and I have told him to ignore it, so I just want to check if this is the best thing to do. 

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Parking "Fines" Mostyn Champneys Retail Park
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »
The last time this was mentioned on BBC Watchdog, the advice was to ignore it, I would! They cannot issue 'fines' only the Police or courts etc can do that, they are parking charges, ignore it.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline martin

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 09:44:40 pm »
Thanks for the information ME, much appreciated.

Offline dwsi

Re: Parking in Llandudno (Mostyn Champneys)
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 03:51:25 pm »
Llanrwst pensioners in battle with ParkingEye - North Wales Weekly News http://bit.ly/L5qyXp

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »
My wife got one of Parking Lie's fake penalties after we parked at Mostyn Champneys before Christmas to watch the panto (not realising quite how long the show ran for!).  We ignored three letters then they disappeared.  To be honest I'd expected more effort on their part, at the very least a letter from a fake debt collector or a fake solicitor but I had no joy there.

But yes, the advice is to ignore, ignore and then ignore some more.  Private parking companys cannot "fine" anyone and in any case contract law only allows for someone who suffers a loss to claim a "reasonable pre-estimate of losses suffered".  As Mostyn Champneys is a free car park a "reasonable pre-estimate of losses suffered" will always be £0.00.  Parc Llandudno is slightly different but legally all the park owners (i.e. not Parking Eye) can claim from you is the amount you may have underpaid so it wouldn't be worth their while bothering in most cases.  There has also recently been a new and interesting tax tribunal case (google "VCS v HMRC") which has established that a PPC cannot persue any action in trespass on any land it doesn't own itself so unless unless Savills decide to sell the Mostyn Champneys car park to Parking Lie then Parking Lie are well and truly shagged  ;D.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 08:39:06 pm »
The reason I am asking is that a friend of mine has today received a penalty notice and I have told him to ignore it, so I just want to check if this is the best thing to do.

First off I'm new to this forum so hopefully it's ok to post links to other websites, if not I'm sure someone will let me know.

If you open the following link just towards the top of post #2 is a list of the letters you can expect to receive from Parking Lie.  Click on the blue wording and it will show you a copy of each letter so you can play "threatogram snap" as you match your letters to the letters on the site.  Unfortunately we didn't get past letter three so no letter for us from the fake debt collection agency (Roxburghe) or the fake solicitor (Graham White)  :(.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2214803

Alternatively just google "Parking Eye Scam".  I've just done this and the seach returned 5,430,000 results so there should be more than enough there to convince your friend not to fall for the scam  $good$.

Emo Philips

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »
Good information  $good$

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:48 am »
Anyone who ever parks at Mostyn Champneys, Parc Llandudno or Asda should have a read of this - http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/plcdev/files/138/original/CuttsTalk10July2012copy.pdf

It's a draft of a speech given by Martin Cutts of the Plain Language Commission at an event held by the British Parking Association, which is the useless organisation that exists solely to try to excuse the scams committed by the likes of Parking Eye. 

Needless to say the speech wasn't well received  by the delegates present at the event _))*

Emo Philips

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:47 pm »
Excellent stuff! I bet that went down well!  _))*

Offline Sara

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 05:43:35 pm »
Daughter and her boyfriend parked in Parc Llandudno, thinking it was 3 hour parking like Mostyn Champneys. Boyfriend today got parking charge for being 48 mins over the 2 free hours allowed at Parc Llandudno. £50 if paid now, rises to £80 then £110 if not paid. Can he ignore this as he was over the time limit they state?
Thanks

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 05:49:49 pm »
Hi Sara

He can ignore it anyway - read my post from MSE above - but whatever he does don't get in contact with them as they'll just keep hounding him

Offline Sara

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 05:53:19 pm »
Thanks born2run, I thought he could i just wondered if it made any difference as he was over the time (by mistake). I have told him not to enter into any dialogue with them.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 05:54:48 pm »

He can ignore it anyway - read my post from MSE above - but whatever he does don't get in contact with them as they'll just keep hounding him

I think that you should be warned that it is a Civil matter and if they decide to pursue their claim against you, you could find it very expensive.  So you must use your own discretion as to whether you accept what advice is given. 
 ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 06:15:18 pm »
A few months ago my sister had the same problem.  She and her husband both in separate cars (he met her there) parked in Parc Llandudno thinking it was 3 hrs too.  Unfortunately both cars were fined £50.  My sister proved by way of receipts from shops on Parc Llandudno that she had indeed been shopping there for the three hrs.  Both fines were cancelled.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 06:19:14 pm »
It is a free car park so the parking company have not suffered any material loss. This is the only thing they can take you to the (civil) court for.

That £50 charge is tantamount to demanding money with menaces as it no way relates to the actual loss (zero) suffered by the shops. For one private individual (the parking company) to demand money from another private individual (you) is against the law.