Author Topic: Digital TV reception in the area  (Read 31444 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Digital TV reception in the area
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:52:07 am »
Prior to the change over to digital TV  I did the test on the analogue TV which showed that my aerial was ok to receive the digital channels.

Last week in the papers I read a letter from a lady in S Wales who was experiencing problems with her TV.   Sometimes her screen went black,the sound went, the picture broke up and sometimes "froze"

Mine is doing exactly the same, does anyone else experience problems similar to mine?

I don't subscribe to Sky or have a satellite dish but I may have to if there is no other way of getting a good reception on the TV

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Digital TV reception in the area
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:29:28 pm »
I've heard of a few people having similar problems, particularly if the weather is bad. It's simply down to the box not getting enough information through to display the picture and sound correctly. Digital terrestial tv doesn't seem as reliable as analogue, by a long chalk.  :huh1:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:39:35 pm »
This problem is related to the size of your dish, in the case of satellite, but I'm not sure how you can rectify it with the old rooftop aerial.  The best place for information is Satcure

http://www.satcure.co.uk/

who deal with all matters dealing with digital signals.  

The other place that's extremely useful is the Dgital forum

http://www.digital-forums.com

FWIW, I would tend towards satellite myself.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:42:10 pm by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Welshmaid

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 02:45:51 pm »
We had this problem recently and we needed a new aerial with booster and that has rectified the situation!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:48:27 pm »
I suppose a better aerial plus a booster would have the same effect as getting a bigger dish. With digital you do need the best possible antennae, of whatever sort, since digital reception is dependent on enough information reaching your set, something which can be tricky when the weather's bad.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:04:30 pm »
We had a similar problem after the switch over. Got a man in from Philcol Aerials. To give him credit he didn't try to sell me an new airial, he just changed some of the wiring removing any unneeded links in the cable and ensured the TV got the direct signal. He then returned the TV and it has been fine since.
He only charged us a small callout fee, and we have a standard aerial.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 03:28:06 pm »
We too had someone who organised the aerial, our set is fine, apart from the odd glitch when the weather is bad.
Now the other 5 sets-- used by other people-- are a different matter. If only people would follow instructions and not press every button in sight !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 03:30:39 pm »
Philco Aerials sound like they worth a Recommend - do you have the contact details, Jason?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 03:51:08 pm »
It's worth mentioning that you also need good quality cabling, without any kinks or really sharp bends in.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:52:29 am by Ian »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 05:52:05 pm »
Thanks for posting those comments and links regarding digital TV.   I'll follow them up and hopefully in the future I might get a decent reception.
Before the introduction of digital TV   I could receive 9 channels with perfect reception but that changed immediately when digital TV came in.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 08:53:58 am »
If you can go to freesat, I suspect that's the best route.  And installing a sat dish isn't a massively difficult undertaking.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 12:32:55 pm »
Philco Aerials sound like they worth a Recommend - do you have the contact details, Jason?
PHILCOL AERIALS

3 MAES Y GOG
LL18 4QA RHYL, CLWYD

Phone: 01492 871654
Fax: 01745 336148

Offline Hugo

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 01:13:27 pm »
I've tried phoning 01492 871654 and 01745 871654 but number not recognised.    ???
Tried directory enquiries but they couldn't help either.
The TV went off last night with a message "The Freesat Channel map is empty" so I must get someone to look at it asap so I'll try yellow pages and keep my fingers crossed.    :rage:   

Yorkie

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 01:34:39 pm »
Hugo - Try the lads (Keith or Tony) at Orme Television, Madoc Street.
01492 875352

Brilliant

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 01:35:01 pm »
On the old forum, there was someone from Llandudno who was recommended to me but I cant be sure of their name, they were very good, it might have been ASV Aerials from Bryniau Road (551455).