Author Topic: Digital TV reception in the area  (Read 31442 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Digital TV reception in the area
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »
Hugo, have you tried adjusting the horizontal hold?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 09:44:13 pm »
We've also had Freeview problems the last few days and the Tom Tom sat nav is having trouble locating gps satellites since Sunday afternoon, perhaps it's all to do with the recent increase in solar activity?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Paddy

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »
We've also had Freeview problems the last few days and the Tom Tom sat nav is having trouble locating gps satellites since Sunday afternoon, perhaps it's all to do with the recent increase in solar activity?

ME, do you mean the sunshine? If so, today's weather should solve all your problems!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 09:53:01 pm »
 :laugh: no, the recent large increase in solar magnetic fields which a couple of weeks ago they said it could disrupt communication systems on Earth.

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 12:17:05 am »

ME, do you mean the sunshine? If so, today's weather should solve all your problems!

TomTom sat-nav devices hit by GPS 'leap year bug'

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 04:44:54 pm »
I think we've all been conned in this area...I remember when it was said satelitte tv etc would put an end to tv interference, not that I remember any interference in the first place anyway.  However since the switch over we've had nothing but problems with tv channels pixelating (not sure if that's even a word but you know what I mean) every five minutes.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »
It is a word and it's the correct word. Digital tv is certainly not as great as we were promised.  &shake&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:38 am »
But digital TV is actually a con in itself. By making the mode of transmission digital it allows the originators to squeeze many more streams into a single packet and thereby free up the radio frequency spectrum so it can be flogged off by the Government for 4G 'phone services.

Inherently, however, because of the way digital TV works, far less information is transmitted, leaving the television and the digital decoders themselves to compensate.  It's particularly bad with radio, where you're not supposed to notice the information gaps.  However, because we no longer see TV 'live', since the software takes a finite time to decode the information and because the system has to buffer some of the stream before displaying it, the slightest decline in signal quality can lead to pixellation, freezing or even 'no transmission' messages.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mull

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 03:39:42 pm »
Anyone touring Western Scotland between now and the end of April. 
 Military operation "Joint Warrior" will be taking place and GPS and Mobile signals will be subject to interferance at certain times.
Not very clever if you are relying on it for navigation etc.
At least we have been warned about it in advance this time. Previously they have not bothered.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 07:47:29 pm »
My TV reception has been breaking up again and mainly on ITV.   It has gone off at the most crucial parts of things we have been watching and it's really annoying. Auto tuning doesn't help as we get Granada, Yorkskire and ITV Wales on various TV's in the house.
 :rage:         :rage:

A quick phone call to Tony and Keith of Ormetelevision at midday today  and they turn up later in the afternoon and the problem is solved and they tuned my Humax in as well.     $good$
Two great guys who have done an excellent job and their rates are very reasonable too.   Thanks very much again for recommending them Yorkie and I would have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone else.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 05:50:28 pm »
This recent spell of hot weather has caused problems once again with my TV reception.  I tend to watch less TV in the Summer but when I do the reception has either broken up or gone altogether and it seems to happen at a crucial part in the programme which makes it more annoying.      :rage:

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 06:31:59 pm »
Same here Hugo. My OH lost Holby City on Tuesday night. I was out with the dog, but he said it went away completely for about 10 mins.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 06:54:52 pm »
We haven't noticed any problems here, on BT Vision, working fine!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 09:23:15 am »
This recent spell of hot weather has caused problems once again with my TV reception.  I tend to watch less TV in the Summer but when I do the reception has either broken up or gone altogether and it seems to happen at a crucial part in the programme which makes it more annoying. 

You might need to upgrade your aerial. High pressure can play havoc with TV and Radio,  It's also affecting mobile phone signals.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 09:34:20 am »
ME, isn't BT Vision through your phone line and not your aerial?