Author Topic: Glanmor Villa Deganwy  (Read 11116 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Glanmor Villa Deganwy
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:46:59 pm »
In the previous forum someone posted a notice under the topic of North Western Hotel relating to their relative Abel Davies who lived next door to the old Post Office in Deganwy. This was in the mid 1800's and the old PO then was run by J E Jones inconnection with his main business which may have been a Grocery.

Anyway I was driving past today and stopped to take this photo. The name J E Jones is still visible above the premises and as Abel Davies lived next door in Glanmor Villa I was wondering if the property on the right of the photo could have been his.

I could see no name on the property on the right though.   :-\

Offline Bri Roberts

Re: Glanmor Villa Deganwy
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »
Hugo, I have an idea JE Jones may have owned the whole block and it is still in the family today with relatives possibly living upstairs above the range of shops.

If I am correct I believe JE Jones was also a  former Mayor of Conwy.

His son (or grandson) AD Jones passed away only a few years ago and was a highly-respected crown green bowler always wearing a sleevless red woolen waistcoat who played for Deganwy BC, Caernarvonshire and North Wales for many years.

When you come to one of the History Society of Deganwy meetings I will introduce you to one or two members who can help you far better than I can.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:43:40 pm »
Thanks very much for posting that Bri,  I'm looking forward to coming to your History meetings and meeting up with people there.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:06 am »
Hugo, I have an idea JE Jones may have owned the whole block and it is still in the family today with relatives possibly living upstairs above the range of shops.

If I am correct I believe JE Jones was also a  former Mayor of Conwy.

His son (or grandson) AD Jones passed away only a few years ago and was a highly-respected crown green bowler always wearing a sleevless red woolen waistcoat who played for Deganwy BC, Caernarvonshire and North Wales for many years.

When you come to one of the History Society of Deganwy meetings I will introduce you to one or two members who can help you far better than I can.

The first two shops in the top photo carry the name Jones Bri. The third one was Dunphy's
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:21:51 am by Trojan »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:15 am »
Nice photos, not seen them before. I see that the Hotel lost a bit of its garden when the road junction was widened at some point.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:45:52 am »
The J E Jones shop which actually doubled up as the Post Office in the 1800's is opposite the railway station.  I was thinking that Glanmor Villa was to the right of that building as according to the 1889 O/S map the rest of the terrace by the Deganwy Castle Hotel had not been built at that time.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:43:06 pm »
Trojan, Hugo is correct.

The block Hugo is referring to is opposite the former railway station.

Your row of shops is further up where I remember Dunphy's to be.

The manager was Mr Edwards and his daughter Margaret was in my form in John Brights.

She passed away a few years ago after being a news reporter with the North Wales weekly News for a while.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:26:00 pm »
Trojan, Hugo is correct.

The block Hugo is referring to is opposite the former railway station.

Your row of shops is further up where I remember Dunphy's to be.

The manager was Mr Edwards and his daughter Margaret was in my form in John Brights.

She passed away a few years ago after being a news reporter with the North Wales weekly News for a while.

Merely illustrating the number of Jones' in the area Bri.

Offline Whitedragon

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:22:29 pm »
Have got togethr with the archivist at Conwy records off ice - and we have found the exact lcaotion of Glan Y mor Villa.

A converyance was found from 1899 naming Abel Davies' widow Jane, their son William, his wife and their son and heir William Owen. WiO Davies' mum Margaret seemingly signed oer the property to him, and it was sold to Dr Griffiths, who married a Miss Tritton (child of owner of the Deganwy Calte Hotel).

it was used as a surgery, and was later turned into the Griffon Cafe.  It is now La Paysanne!

Have also located Glan Y Mor farmhouse.  It was situated next to the well marked on early maps.  It is below Bryn Y Mor and before the still standing Kyle House.  The location seems to be on the banking opposite the newish sheltered  seating on the beach side.  Google earth shows some earthworks which i fully intend to investigate when next in Deganwy.  Wonder what happened to the well?

Many thanks for all the input you all gave which helped steer me in the right direction - now documented proof in hand (tithe maps, rates books, old photos from the archives).

Am so pleased that the place  dearest in my heart is where my antecedents lived.  No wonder the old hiraeth kicks in on an almost daily basis!

$walesflag$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »
No wonder the old hiraeth kicks in on an almost daily basis! $walesflag$

Good work.  $good$

You may want to change your name to Red Dragon though........the White Dragon represents the Saxons.  ;D

http://www.ourrealm.com/Merlin.htm

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:33 am »
I'm sure that I've seen Glan Y Mor Farmhouse on an old map that is here somewhere on the Deganwy website.   I've tried looking for it again but can't find the site.     

Offline dwsi

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 07:28:08 pm »
anybody tried looking at the old-maps website? http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Offline Whitedragon

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:08 pm »
Not been online for a while and glad to see a few more comments about Glan Y Mor.
Have attached the map showing the farmhouse, which is showing across the "beach" area just above the Castle Hotel.

Did think about Red dragon but thought soemone may have chosen it already!  Think i've got a bit of Saxon in me anyway - the other part of my family are Dorset and Huntingdonshire.....enough said....

Good to see someone else has the Arthurian/Merlin legends as an interest too. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:49 pm »
That's an interesting map - do you have a larger version, as its a bit small to see the details? Feel free to email it to me at admin@threetownsforum.co.uk if it wont fit on the Forum.  :)

Offline Whitedragon

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:50 pm »
Theere is a larger map - have it in plain old printed format!  The one posted is one originalyy found ages ago.  WIll see if i can enlarge it in any way - or reduce mine and scan in.

Wish me luck! :)