Author Topic: The Beatles in Llandudno  (Read 22180 times)

Offline hillwalker

Re: The Beatles in Llandudno
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 10:50:56 am »
I have to correct myself :rage:
The year was obviously 1963 Not 1962 so Ringo was definitely the drummer at this time and as SteveH posted the earlier original poster being sold by Mary Hopkins note the entrance fees

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 11:15:46 am »
Hillwalker,  Ringo joined the band in 1962 and prior to that Pete Best and a succession of others were drummers for the group.  Isn't that Ringo's photo in the top left of the bill board poster.
I can't recognise Ringo in the photo though and can only make out John, Paul and a young George Harrison although there is someone who looks like Billy J Kramer there.

Which one's George?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 12:13:56 pm »
I think that George is the 3rd from the left and standing next to John.     I remember going to see the Beatles at the Odean but the thing that I can remember most about the evening is the teenage girls screaming, it was awful as you couldn't hear the music properly because of the racket going on all around you.
There were  some good acts in the Pier Pavilion too and a gang of us would go there when the groups were on.  Good old days!

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 07:28:45 pm »
I think that George is the 3rd from the left and standing next to John.

Sorry Hugo, I don't agree. Especially with that 'barnet'!
Valar Morghulis

Offline DVT

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 10:17:02 pm »
Try googling images of the other "stars" on that poster and try comparing the pics! ... I reckon the four with the white collars (i.e. not Paul and John) are the Dakotas.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 10:43:28 pm »
I think that George is the 3rd from the left and standing next to John.

Sorry Hugo, I don't agree. Especially with that 'barnet'!

You could well be correct SDQ,  have a look at these photos and see if you can guess who they are?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 07:46:15 am »
It was the ears and the barnet that made me think it was George but on reflection by 1963 the Beatles had developed an image and they all had "Beatle" haircuts then so on reflection I think that DVT may be correct as there was a member of the Dakotas group that still had a barnet like the one in the picture

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
Probably Elkie Brookes' older brother.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 02:07:50 pm »
Bit of info.

Brian Epstein also successfully managed Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas (who had four hits with Lennon–McCartney songs), the Fourmost (Lennon wrote their first two singles), the Cyrkle (Epstein's first American group), and Cilla Black (who was Epstein's only female artist), as well as Tommy Quickly, He sent his roster of artists on "package tours" around the UK, a common practice at the time. This involved short sets by each act, alternating with a compère or a comedian

Epstein's company NEMS booked the Beatles' concerts, and it also presented groups as an opening act. It accrued money as promoter, booking agent, and manager for all concerts.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 02:02:51 pm »
The one next to Paul looks a bit like Sam Leach - but is perhaps too young on reflection.

Offline poppy

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 10:10:11 pm »
I have another pic from the same time. Same crowd.

Offline poppy

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 08:51:34 pm »
What my Uncle Mike is doing with the Beatles god only knows....!

Offline pebbles

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 05:25:20 pm »
I'm astounded anyone can think George is in that picture!!! Get some glasses people and a knowledge of history!!!!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 05:31:41 pm »
I'm  glad that someone has a knowledge of history Pebbles,   perhaps you would be kind enough to tell us who they all are as it would be interesting to know.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 05:33:43 pm »
Funny they never taught the Beatles in my history class! Although not sure I understand your comment as George was certainly a member of the Beatles at that time.