Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 228001 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 09:07:43 am »
I can never understand why people send money off expecting a big winning prize when they never entered a competition in the first place? 

Like you, I can't really fathom it, either but I suppose the elderly and confused are at risk.  BBC news yesterday paraded several very elderly ladies and gents who'd parted with several tens of thousands in the hope of winning something. Very sad.  And I remember a vicar who'd fallen for the Nigerian crowd .
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 09:28:44 am »
Once one of these scammers get you to reply you start receiving similar mail from many, many others.  When I was an Advocate with Age Concern I had a client who had lost thousands , all in small sums, some by cheque and most by credit card.   Mail would arrive at her door by the sackfull, and I mean the sackful.   It was a difficult job to wean her off the habit of replying but it gradually reduced the amount of mail.   With some of the scams you actually give a continuing credit card authority which is very difficult to stop.

Once it quietened  down she started to receive gifts from them to encourage her back into the fold and she certainly was temted again.  It was a hard job and she had lost so much, she had to sell her nice little bungalow.

Non of the scams were Nigerian and all mail came from Holland, the UK or other European countries.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 10:27:15 am »
Just to remind everyone that we have a steadily growing list of really useful links here:

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=325.msg9853#msg9853

Ian
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 01:49:30 pm »

brumbob

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 03:53:52 pm »
It only takes a second to catch you off your guard

Yorkie

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 04:09:52 pm »
Typical common three handed steal.

One distracts possible witness so that he doesn't see the steal.
Two distracts target
Three does the steal

And the poor old man hasn't a clue which one did it!   
One reason I never have, and never will, use ATM's, no chance of losing my PIN or being robbed!   _))*

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 04:51:03 pm »
Why is it that no matter what time your Dentist's appointment you are still kept waiting a further half hour or so.    Went today with the OH for a 10.15 appointment and the first thing the receptionist said was, "The dentist is running late."    How can one get to be running a half hour late when you have only been working for an hour?   

Just another of life's mysteries ---- like ..........................

In ASDA  bottle of wine £7.27 or if you like £5.74.    Buy one it is list price.  Buy two they are list price.  Buy three and you get the lot for £10.00.

Logic makes me ask, "Is there some idiot somewhere who buys just two bottles?"     ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Trojan

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 05:50:06 pm »
In ASDA  bottle of wine £7.27 or if you like £5.74.    Buy one it is list price.  Buy two they are list price.  Buy three and you get the lot for £10.00.

Logic makes me ask, "Is there some idiot somewhere who buys just two bottles?"   ZXZ

Have you fallen off the wagon?  ZXZ

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 07:59:50 pm »
Just happened to catch my eye. 

Just 'cos you don't buy doesn't mean you can't look at the goods!   As the old fella walking down The Reeperbahn, in Hamburg said!     _))*
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
WARNING Llandudno building scammers
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 06:15:00 pm »
Apologies if this has been posted before, if not it is well worth knowing.

A work friend told me today that her elderly Mother & Father were targeted by building scammers in their home in St Seriols Road (sure I've splet that wrong!) near the oval.

Apparently, a builder knocked on there down and began to discuss the condition of the house with her mother. As they were doing this two other blokes were round the back and had put PVC over what they said was a "hole" in the roof.
They insisted that the work must be carried out and it would cost £1800. They were very insistent and frightening, especially to an old person and assured her that they would be back at 9am the next morning to "start the job"

When they came my friends Mother - told them in no uncertain terms that she had contacted her insurance company and she must have 3 quotes before any work can be done, at this they became very confrontational and threatening. My friend has called the police and hopefully they will be stopped before too long.

But if any of you have elderly relatives it might be worth telling them not to hand over money to any roofers that come knocking as I could see how someone could easily be scared into handing them money

Absolutely sickening I hope they are locked up  :(

Offline Yorkie

Re: WARNING Llandudno building scammers
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 06:34:13 pm »
If you are suspicious, just close the door and phone the Police.  If possible get the vehicle number and colour etc. if they have one and also try to remember the description of at least one individual.

I know it is difficult but try not to get drawn into a conversation or the pressure will be put on.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Scams
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 12:46:57 pm »
Tell your friends is the title, but if any moderator thinks this post should be elsewhere, feel free to move it.
I've just received a very lengthy and details email from a very well placed business person, the last person to fall for a scam. But, she nearly did. I am fairly sure I would have fallen for it. The local police are aware of it, they say to tell everyone you know to be aware. I have drastically reduced the contents of this e mail because it is far to long for a forum.
Your phone rings. B T here, you owe us £300 and we need at least £30 now by bank card or we are going to cut you off.
In the case I am writing about, the lady said "I'm not even with B T, I'm with virgin phone (or similar).
The caller was'ent put off, his reply - yes, virgin have to pay us a commission, and if I don't have £30 now I'm going to cut you off.
Lady. How do I know you are telling the truth. Apparently the caller called himself Tom brown (or similar) but had a strong African accent.
Man. I'll prove to you I'm BT. I'll cut you off now, just try and make a call to a friend, and I'll phone you back in five minutes.
Lady. O K
Her phone immediately goes dead, she try's to dial, nothing, no dialling tone, nothing. So after five mins the phone rings.
Man. Now do you believe me. And here is our department phone number and he gives a number something like 0087 0085 2345

To cheer you up the lady said get stuffed or something, but I think he would have done enough for me to give him card details for £30

So how is it done. Dead easy.  The caller presses the mute button at his end, he can then hear you trying to call a friend,  after a minute or two  he puts his phone down and then recalls you. The phone number he gave is indeed some unpaid bill dept at B T but with just one of the noughts in a different place. The reply to the given number is "no such number.".  Dialling those magic numbers that tell you who has been calling you results in"number withheld."

Be warned. And don't forget, the £30 wouldn't have gone through, the merchant services I think they are called would have stopped the payment. But the caller probably wouldn't even try. He had a much bigger fish. Your card details including the three numbers on the back----for an extended shopping trip at your expense

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Re: Tell your Friends!
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »
Mike, knowing you, I don't think for one minute that YOU would have fallen for that.

I can see that some vulnerable people might... but not so many.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 03:23:25 pm »
You can add your telephone number to the Telephone Preference Service which puts it on a special list as to not be called will sales chat etc.  It operates a bit like the Mail Preference Service to stop spam mail.

Reputable companies refer to these lists and it can prevent a lot of unwanted mail and calls.

These "crooks" will probably not pay any attention to such lists but it's worth a try.   ££$
Cicero

Offline martin

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 03:33:43 pm »
On the subject on unwanted phone calls, there is a useful website called "WhoCallsMe" if you get an unwanted call put the number into their search engine and it will show you who the organisation is.  Against that it will show comments made by other people who have been contacted by the company, you also have the option of leaving your own comments, it has a link to the Telephone Preference Service.  Although the TPS is no use when faced with calls from outside the UK.  We subscribe to the TPS and in the last year, I think we have had only one call from a marketing company, which we reported.