Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 237304 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #375 on: August 30, 2017, 08:31:44 am »
We paid £150 for the last trip to Manchester Airport. As the return flight was delayed and we arrived at 4 in the morning, it was a pleasure to be able to snooze all the way home instead of having to drive.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #376 on: August 30, 2017, 12:02:41 pm »
Alternatively, fly Business Class.

Chauffeur service both ways. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #377 on: August 30, 2017, 10:21:08 pm »

To Tenerife ??  :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: August 31, 2017, 07:42:34 am »
Oh. yes;  someone else flies the plane...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #379 on: September 01, 2017, 08:50:08 am »

Only Emirates and Oman Air now as far as I am aware. Etihad have stopped their chauffeur service even for first class passengers except for travel in UAE.

We use the car parks at Manchester and Liverpool regularly and the prices had become quite reasonable. That is until a few months ago at Manchester who have racked their prices up recently and changed the rules of the multi storey.
We have used the multi storey in the past few years paying between £60 and £80 for between 7-10 days but when we tried to book for 9 days recently it wouldn't come up with the option of the multi storey, only the long stay for £80. So, I phoned up and was told that if the stay is over 8 days now the multi storey is not offered. I was told I could book for 8 days at £85 and pay the extra daily rate of £25 at the exit gate! The long stay is only £5 cheaper for the same 8 day period.
In contrast the last time we parked at Liverpool we only paid £49 for 8 days in the old Ipark, now called Cheap parking on the right of the roundabout as you go towards the airport.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #380 on: September 01, 2017, 09:14:02 pm »
I went business class with Emirates a few times.
It's actually quite abusive to be honest.
Door to door limo service is all very nice, but I never managed to control myself with the colossal amounts of food and booze they assaulted me with, constantly.
Looking back, the comfort was excellent, but the damage to my health was greater.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: September 06, 2017, 11:32:12 am »
BT customers in the UK have been targeted by scammers in India – with one person reporting they were defrauded for thousands of pounds this week.

The twist is that they've got hold of registered addresses, etc., so know all the details and sound fairly convincing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #382 on: September 06, 2017, 11:37:02 am »
BT customers in the UK have been targeted by scammers in India – with one person reporting they were defrauded for thousands of pounds this week.

The twist is that they've got hold of registered addresses, etc., so know all the details and sound fairly convincing.
I had one of these calls last year and I let the caller witter on for ages about how my pc had a virus, then politely told him I had a Mac.  ££$

Offline Dave

« Reply #383 on: September 06, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »

I had one of these calls last year and I let the caller witter on for ages about how my pc had a virus, then politely told him I had a Mac.  ££$

Exactly what I did!

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #384 on: September 06, 2017, 07:00:50 pm »

I did exactly the same and he had the audacity to say "Oh, we do Macs too!". Unbelievable!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Dave

« Reply #385 on: September 07, 2017, 09:07:58 am »
Reading this thread about the cost of parking at Manchester airport being on the rise I decided to book now for early next year. I didn't need to look far to find APH park and ride was £42 for 15 days. That doesn't seem to have gone up much at all. In June we paid £52 for 10 days using Jetparks, and this autumn we have 30 days at Hunters, a first for us, at £71.
With a round trip of 180 miles using a maximum of 4 gallons of petrol at say £20, it's a lot, lot cheaper than any alternatives.
My advice though is book well ahead and shop around.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #386 on: September 21, 2017, 12:16:56 pm »
Beware you good Samaritans .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XHQFjYiOw4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #387 on: October 14, 2017, 04:33:41 pm »
Another piece of confidence boosting about parking at Manchester airport.

Rogue airport meet and greet parking boss jailed
Brian Pearson ran an operation looking after cars of tourists using Manchester airport

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rogue-airport-meet-greet-parking-13762177

Offline Dave

« Reply #388 on: October 15, 2017, 03:18:41 pm »
I see a little pony is back in Llandudno along with a woman and a collection bucket.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #389 on: November 10, 2017, 09:13:25 am »
Victims across the North Wales area have been receiving telephone calls from people claiming to be from the Met Police or high street bank fraud depts reporting suspicious activity on their bank account flagged for investigation. https://www.north-wales.police.uk/news-and-appeals/fraud-awareness?lang=en-gb
8:00 AM - Nov 10, 2017