Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230214 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #390 on: November 10, 2017, 10:45:28 am »
I see a little pony is back in Llandudno along with a woman and a collection bucket.

I have actually contacted CCBC about them. The Duty Officer was most helpful and stated that the lady, Mrs Davis-Black is collecting as a 'street entertainer',  or busker to you and me, (over which, the council have no powers) had been has been categorically informed that if she suggests or indicates that she is collecting for a charity or charitable purpose, she would be committing an offence.

The pony has been checked out and is fit and well and properly looked after.

The Council Officer was most helpful and obviously has full knowledge of the situation.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #391 on: November 10, 2017, 04:17:28 pm »

as a 'street entertainer',  or busker to you and me, (over which, the council have no powers)

As far as I understand it, councils do (or can) have powers. Busking itself is legal but councils may have their own by-laws.  see https://www.dittomusic.com/blog/a-guide-to-uk-busking-laws for example.

Mostyn Street in Llandudno for example might add other complications, I'm not sure but I was once informed by a policeman that the area of the pavement under the verandas in front of the shops is private property?

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #392 on: November 10, 2017, 06:47:38 pm »

as a 'street entertainer',  or busker to you and me, (over which, the council have no powers)

As far as I understand it, councils do (or can) have powers.

I posted what I was told by a CCBC officer, who, as I said in my post, had full knowledge of the situation. Perhaps you should contact the Licensing and Legal Departments of CCBC and give them the benefit of your 'understanding'. I'm sure that they would be most grateful.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #393 on: November 10, 2017, 06:54:42 pm »
I posted what I was told by a CCBC officer, who, as I said in my post, had full knowledge of the situation. Perhaps you should contact the Licensing and Legal Departments of CCBC and give them the benefit of your 'understanding'. I'm sure that they would be most grateful.

I'll leave any conversation with them to you, thanks.

In the meanwhile here is the UK page about busking licences:  https://www.gov.uk/busking-licence

I'll include some text in it here:

Restrictions

Busking is not illegal but your council will tell you about byelaws or rules you must observe, such as:

not making too much noise
    not blocking public highways (footpaths, pavements, open pedestrian areas)
    not displaying notices asking for payment
    not carrying out street trading (you need a street trading licence for this)
    only busking in certain parts of the town or for a limited period of time

Children under 14 aren’t allowed to busk.
How to apply

Contact your council to see if you need a busking licence. You may have to pay a fee when you apply.

You might be able to apply through your council’s website.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: November 10, 2017, 07:13:56 pm »
Llandudno had local regs that prohibited busking, etc., which had been formulated in the Victorian era, but they expired - I think around 1990.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #395 on: November 10, 2017, 07:23:32 pm »
Llandudno had local regs that prohibited busking, etc., which had been formulated in the Victorian era, but they expired - I think around 1990.
I have in the very dim and distant (80s) past had a go or two at busking in Llandudno. I don't remember hearing about then, although I do remember the copper's friendly advice (above). Of course that doesn't mean they didn't exist...  The only thing I can vaguely think of though is were there some restrictions on the prom?

Whatever, I believe different councils operate different rules.  I did hear tale from someone living in Coventry at the time (agains 80s somewhere) than not only did you have to get a licence, you had to pass some audition first!

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #396 on: November 10, 2017, 07:36:09 pm »

I'll leave any conversation with them to you, thanks.

Thanks, I will speak to the relevant authorities when I feel that there is a particular issue that needs to be resolved, but I do understand that it's easier to anonymously post generalities on blogs than actually do something practical to resolve a situation that gives cause for concern.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #397 on: November 10, 2017, 07:45:36 pm »
Thanks, I will speak to the relevant authorities when I feel that there is a particular issue that needs to be resolved, but I do understand that it's easier to anonymously post generalities on blogs than actually do something practical to resolve a situation that gives cause for concern.

1. Only responding to a comment you made  ("busker to you and me, (over which, the council have no powers)") as I believe the situation with buskers is largely regulated by local/byelaws.  Living in Norfolk, while I remain interested in your area, it's unlikely I'd be getting involved with your council...

2. I'm not really that anonymous here.  Hugo for one could identify me or at a minimum pin me down to 1 of 4 boys.  Where I've lived in Pydew is well known here...

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #398 on: November 11, 2017, 05:31:26 am »

1. Only responding to a comment you made  ("busker to you and me, (over which, the council have no powers)") as I believe the situation with buskers is largely regulated by local/byelaws.  Living in Norfolk, while I remain interested in your area, it's unlikely I'd be getting involved with your council...

2. I'm not really that anonymous here.  Hugo for one could identify me or at a minimum pin me down to 1 of 4 boys.  Where I've lived in Pydew is well known here...

For the third time, the statement that 'the council have no powers' was made to me by the CCBC Duty Officer. I was merely reporting on here for those concerned to reassure them that the CCBC were fully aware and were closely monitoring these people following the issues last year with the illegal collection for a supposed but non-existent military charity by a man with a small horse. 

As your understanding of the legislation appears to differ from that of the Licensing and Legal Departments of CCBC who I have spoken to, why not contact them and give them the benefit of your 'beliefs'. You don't have to live in the area to give them your advice and legal expertise on the matter and point out their failings and I'm sure that they would be most grateful.

So, apart from your rhetoric on this blog, your actual contribution in doing something practical regarding this social issue and peoples concerns about it  -  is what?

Offline TELL

« Reply #399 on: November 11, 2017, 08:58:31 am »
Enough please boys, you are getting boring.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #400 on: November 11, 2017, 11:01:40 am »
Enough please boys, you are getting boring.

Thank you Tell, for your interesting and stimulating comment, to this and all the other topics that you have contributed to.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #401 on: November 29, 2017, 02:00:43 pm »
Police are urging people to be alert to a growing scam where criminals are posing as police officers and asking their victims to take part in a fake undercover operation.

Fraudsters are contacting members of the public, usually by phone, purporting to be from the police, or in some cases the fraud team within their bank.

The criminal claims they are investigating a fraud at a local bank branch where staff are suspected of being complicit, including issuing fake bank notes, and asks their target to help in the operation.

As part of the scam, the individual is requested to visit the branch and withdraw a substantial sum, often thousands of pounds, of the supposedly counterfeit cash to hand over to the ‘police’ for ‘analysis’.

In another version of the scam, the criminal convinces the victim to transfer money to a so-called ‘safe account’ to protect their funds from the ‘corrupt’ bank staff. However, the account is in fact controlled by the criminal.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bogus-cops-steal-thousands-fake-13970180

Offline systema

« Reply #402 on: November 30, 2017, 08:44:34 pm »
What !!!  - who on earth would fall for a scam like that, even my MIL who is 95 and not internet savvy would not fall for that one.  She would ask them, as policemen, to come to her house in civvies and take her with them to the bank and would check every identity they had with them with her local police station.  She lives in Nottingham and they give old people a number to ring if they feel in fear so would check with this - she also has the number of the community police who will answer the phone. 
It is good the Police are pointing this out for people to be aware but common sense should prevail.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #403 on: December 01, 2017, 07:17:38 am »
Many have, in fact. It's now a very old scam and I'd thought we'd hear no more about it, but presumably new criminals are still trying it. It seems a lot is down to the way in the which the con artist does it; they make it sound very urgent and warn them not to check with the bank or police station, since they fear there might be a breach of security.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #404 on: December 01, 2017, 10:41:17 am »
Yesterday, I received a telephone call from a very helpful individual informing me that he is in a position, thanks to our government, to recover all the bank charges I have been paying over the years.

All I had to do is give him my bank account number and sort code and he would do the rest.