Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 57199 times)

SteveH

• Ad Free Member
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #404 on: December 01, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »
Sounds a good deal, have you got his contact details ?                                                                       WWW

Bri Roberts

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #405 on: December 01, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »
I am afraid not but if it is any help it was international.

squigglev2

« Reply #406 on: December 01, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What !!!  - who on earth would fall for a scam like that, even my MIL who is 95 and not internet savvy would not fall for that one.  She would ask them, as policemen, to come to her house in civvies and take her with them to the bank and would check every identity they had with them with her local police station.  She lives in Nottingham and they give old people a number to ring if they feel in fear so would check with this - she also has the number of the community police who will answer the phone. 
It is good the Police are pointing this out for people to be aware but common sense should prevail.
I think the fact that the police are pointing it out indicates some have fallen for it. Your MIL may be smart but. as a generalisation, older people in particular may be more trusting, and to get them thinking they are helping may (in a nasty way) be a good tactic.  I believe when my mother was in the day hospital in Llandudno quite a few years back, they used to have a police officer visit occasionally to advise over scams and on how to avoid becoming a victim. I hope they still do that.

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #407 on: December 01, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
I'm afraid that there are some vulnerable people out there who will fall for scams like that and a person I know was taken in by a similar scan in recent months

Bri Roberts

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #408 on: December 01, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
Over the past 12 months, I have received several telephone calls to my mobile about the motor accident I was involved in.

Initially, I used to say I hadnít been involved in a motor accident but now I find it is much quicker to close the conversation by saying there must be a mistake because I havenít driven a motor car for years.

SteveH

• Ad Free Member
Re: Consumer news
« Reply #409 on: December 20, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
As an avid tea drinker I was surprised to read the following, and have signed the petition mentioned.......

A self-employed gardener and environmentalist, from North Wales, has launched a campaign to stop plastic being used in teabags.

Manufacturers have admitted that as much as 25% of the bags can be made up of polypropylene - a plastic - making them impossible to fully compost.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login