Author Topic: Consumer news and scams  (Read 230186 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Consumer news and scams
« Reply #405 on: December 01, 2017, 11:01:44 am »
Sounds a good deal, have you got his contact details ?                                                                       WWW

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #406 on: December 01, 2017, 02:09:47 pm »
I am afraid not but if it is any help it was international.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #407 on: December 01, 2017, 02:39:13 pm »
What !!!  - who on earth would fall for a scam like that, even my MIL who is 95 and not internet savvy would not fall for that one.  She would ask them, as policemen, to come to her house in civvies and take her with them to the bank and would check every identity they had with them with her local police station.  She lives in Nottingham and they give old people a number to ring if they feel in fear so would check with this - she also has the number of the community police who will answer the phone. 
It is good the Police are pointing this out for people to be aware but common sense should prevail.
I think the fact that the police are pointing it out indicates some have fallen for it. Your MIL may be smart but. as a generalisation, older people in particular may be more trusting, and to get them thinking they are helping may (in a nasty way) be a good tactic.  I believe when my mother was in the day hospital in Llandudno quite a few years back, they used to have a police officer visit occasionally to advise over scams and on how to avoid becoming a victim. I hope they still do that.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #408 on: December 01, 2017, 02:57:47 pm »
I'm afraid that there are some vulnerable people out there who will fall for scams like that and a person I know was taken in by a similar scan in recent months

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #409 on: December 01, 2017, 03:07:21 pm »
Over the past 12 months, I have received several telephone calls to my mobile about the motor accident I was involved in.

Initially, I used to say I hadn’t been involved in a motor accident but now I find it is much quicker to close the conversation by saying there must be a mistake because I haven’t driven a motor car for years.

Offline SteveH

Re: Consumer news
« Reply #410 on: December 20, 2017, 05:26:16 pm »
As an avid tea drinker I was surprised to read the following, and have signed the petition mentioned.......

A self-employed gardener and environmentalist, from North Wales, has launched a campaign to stop plastic being used in teabags.

Manufacturers have admitted that as much as 25% of the bags can be made up of polypropylene - a plastic - making them impossible to fully compost.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/teabags-plastic-pollution-environment-tea-14060850

Offline Dave

« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2018, 03:30:41 pm »
If you received an official looking email from BT telling you to register your email addresses against your Broadband account by the 9th of February or risk loosing them it's a scam!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2018, 07:52:22 pm »
Distraction burglary - Glan Conwy
Police are appealing for witnesses after a distraction burglary in Glan Conwy on Friday.

Three men claiming to be from the Water Board entered the elderly victim’s property and stole a quantity of cash before making away from the property on foot.  Ref DP

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #413 on: March 02, 2018, 04:27:59 pm »
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #414 on: March 02, 2018, 06:47:29 pm »
Mine went into the bin this morning.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #415 on: March 09, 2018, 02:36:44 pm »
Santander alert over sophisticated smishing scam
Thousands of Santander customers are being told NOT to click on a text apparently sent by the bank within the past few days. Staff are warning it is a scam even though the message which claims that they have detected “suspicious activity” is appearing in the bank’s own feed on people’s phones. The message appears to be genuine since the scammers are carrying out “number spoofing”. The text reads: “We have detected suspicious activity on your account. Please verify via the secure link to prevent account lockout.”

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #416 on: March 23, 2018, 03:26:46 pm »
Beware of telephone numbers 01497554461 & 01494032626 it's a scam. They have been telephoning people in the Conwy area over the past few days saying their IPS address has been compromised from several countries and then ask you to press 1 on the keypad to talk to an operator  &shake&

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #417 on: March 23, 2018, 05:03:31 pm »
For the past few days, I have been receiving telephone calls to our landline and my mobile claiming to be from HSBC and before they can speak to me I must answer a few security questions such as complete the remainder of my LL30 postcode and which month was I born in.

I always refuse to reply because I do not expect my bank to phone me and first go through security but today I called into the local branch of the HSBC and they checked their system and would you believe it, it has been the HSBC phoning me?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #418 on: March 23, 2018, 06:20:46 pm »
Indeed, they've been doing that for some years. If you don't speak to them, eventually they lock your account.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #419 on: March 23, 2018, 11:20:11 pm »
For the past few days, I have been receiving telephone calls to our landline and my mobile claiming to be from HSBC and before they can speak to me I must answer a few security questions such as complete the remainder of my LL30 postcode and which month was I born in.

I always refuse to reply because I do not expect my bank to phone me and first go through security but today I called into the local branch of the HSBC and they checked their system and would you believe it, it has been the HSBC phoning me?

That's outrageous if they lock your account for not responding to their demands.What a stupid way of doing business when banks and customer accounts are being scammed left right and centre.
You did the right thing in refusing to speak to them if the call is unsolicited.