Author Topic: Old Llandudno Pictures  (Read 22171 times)

Offline dwsi

Old Llandudno Pictures
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:51:51 pm »

Offline Trojan

Re: Old Llandudno Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:37:19 am »
Wonderful set of photos' there.

In the top one, Jackson's Lane can be seen running from the Links roundabout into Craig-y-Don, with some buildings from Jackson's Farm close to the Links roundabout. The building on the left was part of Frank Tyldesley's builders yard.

I would date the photo at around 1969/70. The Links estate looks like it may be under construction  - look above the maisonettes and you can see a tall crane.

In the photo below more can be seen of Frank Tyldesley's yard on the right. The block of houses close to the entrance of the yard were Police houses I seem to remember.

Nice array of 60's vehicles on Clarence Road.  :)

Offline Sara

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »
The two houses by the yard entrance were police houses. The furthest house, the one with the little black car outside was called Dolfor and my Mum lived there with my Nain and Taid and her sister. My Taid was Sgt David Jones. I think he lived there until about 64-65. I can vaguely remember the house. When he retired he moved further down Clarence Rd opposite the tennis courts.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:02:14 pm »

Offline dwsi

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:34:14 pm »

Offline dwsi

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:35:29 pm »
When he retired he moved further down Clarence Rd opposite the tennis courts.

Sara, I remember your late father very well.

I have lived on Liddell Park for the past 30 years and I often used to chat to him when he took a walk down Clarence Road or visited the Vic Club.

Your father was a real gentleman.  ;)

Offline emma p

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 08:42:06 pm »
I am soooo loving all these pictures. Utterly fascinating stuff.   :)

Offline Sara

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:05:34 pm »
Bri, I think you mean my grandfather, my Mum's father. My Taid used to walk his corgi everyday, first Judy, then later Lucy. Both dogs were bilingual!
He was a lovely man, sadly he died of cancer in 1990.
I don't know if you knew but he was awarded the Kings Commendation after the 1950 Penmaenmawr Irish Mail train crash. He was one of the first on the scene,(he was living in the police house in Penmaenmawr then) and despite the risk to himself, entered the wreckage and rescued several passengers.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 10:50:50 pm »
Bri, I think you mean my grandfather, my Mum's father. My Taid used to walk his corgi everyday, first Judy, then later Lucy. Both dogs were bilingual!
He was a lovely man, sadly he died of cancer in 1990.
I don't know if you knew but he was awarded the Kings Commendation after the 1950 Penmaenmawr Irish Mail train crash. He was one of the first on the scene,(he was living in the police house in Penmaenmawr then) and despite the risk to himself, entered the wreckage and rescued several passengers.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 01:33:06 am »
Sara, I never knew that about your Taid.

Thank you for sharing the story with us and thank you to DaveR for providing us with a photograph of the tragic event.

I just cannot believe it has been over 20 years since David Jones passed on.

Offline Sara

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 10:35:27 am »
Yes thanks Dave. I have lots of photos of the rail crash, taken in the hours after the accident I think. I also have my Taid's report and statements from various people ie signalman, railway workers about the incident.

Bri, where does the time go? I often pass the house in Clarence Road and have many happy memories.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 01:50:14 pm »
Hi Dwsi, The photo you put up of Dunphy`s bottling store brought back happy memories for me as my late father is third from the left leaning by the steps.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 02:46:44 pm »
not pictures but maps

Offline dwsi

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 02:48:23 pm »
Yes thanks Dave. I have lots of photos of the rail crash, taken in the hours after the accident I think. I also have my Taid's report and statements from various people ie signalman, railway workers about the incident.

Bri, where does the time go? I often pass the house in Clarence Road and have many happy memories.

have you thought about posting some of the photos on here?