Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 355362 times)

Offline Dave

Roads in the area
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:15:47 am »
Am I alone in feeling exasperated at the sight of the floral tributes and messages to what was an act of reckless stupidity ? Instead of writing messages about angels and sleeping tight, doesn't anyone feel they want to write you stupid so and so, look what you have done.
Of course it a tragedy that another young life has been lost. His family will suffer for many, many years to come, probably forever.My deepest sympathy goes out to them but what of his friends and youth in general. What are they likely to learn. The answer is probably nothing.
There has been so much carnage even on local roads in the last few months it's time something was done to protect both the youngsters from themselves and to protect innocent third parties who might get involved. I refer to the fatal car accidents at the old Hotel 70 site, the Conwy tunnel, and a little further away, Menai Bridge and Aberystwyth.
As for this particular incident, as yet the full facts have not come to light. What is known though is that speed has played a part, as has inexperience.
This is the second accident at the same spot but lets get real, it's not the roads fault.
Who is to blame. We all are.
Jeremy Clarkson and his petrol head mentality that speed isn't the source of accidents.
The law allowing inexperienced drivers to carry passengers of similar age who are often the victims of show off driving.
Attempts by parents to get around high insurance costs by including their children as named drivers then not keeping control over the use of their children's cars.
Laws that have no restrictions on the size and power of vehicles that newly qualified drivers can drive.

and I'm sure you can think of many more.

However, there is one additional thought too.
Yesterday morning the "Arrive Alive " van was in action near the Links Hotel roundabout. Clocking errant drivers heading towards Asda as they strayed over the 40 mph mark. Later it was stationed by the paddling pool on the prom ( yes, the children have now gone back to school and the area was deserted because of the weather). I am all in favour of protecting pedestrians and , generally speaking , all in favour of speed cameras and mobile police traps but only when used to stop irresponsible driving in inappropriate places.
How often do you see gangs of youths with their suped up cars showing off around town at night. How do we seem to allow them to go unchecked as they turn suburban streets in to race tracks. Where is the speed trap then ?

Something has to be done surely ?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The latest road tragedy
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:39:23 am »
The insurance companies are imposing increasingly severe restrictions on young drivers - 'young' being defined, now, as below 25 - and this also means the size and power of car they drive.  The two biggest problems are drivers who use their parents' company cars - the insurances on which allow them to drive ,irrespective of age and power - and those who simply don't bother getting insured.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:58:46 am »
We've all done foolish things when we were young; it's in the nature of youths to take risks, ignore potential dangers and push things to the limit. Here's an example:

When I was a lot younger, I was a passenger in a car crash by the Craigside Inn going over to Penrhyn Bay - it was night, the car was going a bit too fast, skidded on the wet road and ploughed into the stone wall, demolished a lamp post and then bounced across the road into the wall on the other side, then back into the middle of the road. There was 4 of us in the car, all of us were knocked unconscious in the crash. I (as front seat passenger) was the first to come to, smelt a very strong smell of petrol from the ruptured fuel tank and shouted for everyone to get out. Myself and the driver freed ourselves and forced open one of the rear doors to get the back seat passenger out. It was only then that we realised that the other back seat passenger was missing, he had been thrown out through the rear window and was lying about 20 feet away on the road. Fortunately, nobody was killed, although the guy that was thrown out through the  window received fairly serious injuries and had difficulty walking for some time.

Looking back at that particular accident, it's difficult to see (short of upping the age from which you can drive) how it could have been prevented. As you say, young drivers/passengers need to be protected from themselves but quite how you would go about that...I don't quite know? I'd certainly agree that the Police need to take a tougher line with speeding and showing off at night. Even during the day, you see the odd souped up car razzing around Llandudno making a massive noise - why do the Police not stop them for having such loud exhaust - is it against the law?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 12:44:07 pm »
They should, of course, but I suspect the only way to deal with the main issues is to raise the driving age to 21 at least.  I suspect there are too many vested interests that would prevent that happening, however.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:22:40 pm »
I believe that it is illegal to have a noisy exhaust, they are usually fitted to increase performance, and would come under the heading of 'Being Modified', making the Car Insurance invalid if the Ins. Co. had not been notified.   )*)&
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:46:44 pm »
We've all done foolish things when we were young; it's in the nature of youths to take risks, ignore potential dangers and push things to the limit.
Looking back at that particular accident, it's difficult to see (short of upping the age from which you can drive) how it could have been prevented.

Couldn't agree more, we have all done foolish things when we were younger, and maybe we still do. However, when it comes to cars, access to one is much easier than it was say, 30 years ago. Most families seem to have two cars so there is more chance there is one available for a sibling to borrow.

Some suggestions of regulations that could be imposed.

1) New driver plates which prevent carrying passengers unless they are accompanied by someone say, over 25.
2) Speed restrictions on any driver using new driver plates.
3) Punitive bans for anyone caught breaking new driver regulations including failing to display plates

A licence to drive is a desirable and valued item. The idea of losing it again should be enough to stop and make anyone think.
I also believe that reading case studies of accidents and getting prospective drivers to discuss or write about their conclusions of how that accident happened, who was to blame and what might have prevented it  might just get them thinking about the consequences of driving errors.

Incidentally, I have just returned from a walk around town and it struck me that there is far more effort put into policing parked cars than moving ones judging by the number of traffic wardens (I forget their new name) that are about.

Offline Cymro

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:47:08 pm »
I was just about to start a very similar thread when I found this.

I agree totally with Dave and from first hand experience I am not suprised that again there has been a tragedy. I work in Llandudno most evenings and drive a very unfashionable car, I sometimes stop at McDonalds on my way home and am subjected to the reckless and idiotic actions of the cretins that use the carpark at Mostyn Champneys as a race track. They also frequently decide to use the A470 stretch between Llandudno and Black Cat as a race track and most evenings I am overtaken by large groups of cars travelling in convoy at high speeds and very close to eachother.

It is obvious where they are and what they are doing and there are police about becuase I often get targeted for a general check and breath test, always passing. Why do the police not do anything?! It is totally stupid, if they were to put a few cars on that stretch on any given night un announced they would be able to catch and punish a good handful of these idiots in one go.

I feel totally frustrated that I am being stopped so often simply because I am driving a car from town at chucking out time while these idiots are literally getting away with murder. Maybe they see me as an easy target, I won't give any cheek, I'll just take what they say on board and go on my way. They then tick their box to say they've stopped someone without the hassle of confronting these packs of idiots.

To catch these boy racers would be like taking candy from a baby, it's time they did and threw the book at them. Otherwise local florists will be have roaring trade in the near furture and if/when it happens I just hope it's one of these nutters behind the wheel and not somebody innocently walking their dog or coming home from the pub.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:13 pm »
 it is nothing new i remember at least 40 years ago , a very bad accident in town [wont go in to detail] and another fatal one round the same time ,so we can,t say its the youngsters of today but yes something has to be done 

Offline Cymro

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 04:11:57 pm »
I should probably also point out that Ronnie Hughes has been in the paper blaming the road, suggesting that maybe a single lane would be safer. Lunacy! The road is totally safe, the speed limit is 40, but due to the long sweeping nature of the road I'm sure that even 50 would give you enough reaction time. Heaven knows what speed these nutters must have been doing to cause a fatality.

I suppose that's the culture these days, always somebody else to blame. Shame on them if they are still doing exactly the same thing tonight when I pass, if they don't learn now they never will.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 04:22:34 pm »
I agree;  there's nothing wrong with the road. It is simply the young driver mentality, I suspect.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 04:24:39 pm »
A group of people I have some sympathy with are those who live in the immediate area of the accident. They were awoken late at night last Thursday with the distressing sounds and sight of what happened, and now have to silently tolerate the scene of flowers and crowds gathered there as a constant reminder. When I passed earlier this afternoon there were about 10/15 people gathered there, but I know that there have been much larger groups from time to time.

I think it also worth mentioning the emergency services personnel who have to "pick up the pieces" - not a very pleasant task I am sure.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 06:05:32 pm »
I have to say that speed is not the problem but driving stupidly and badly is the problem, cameravans / speed cameras catch the wrong people and not the maniacs. The thing is you can measure speed but it's not easy to measure bad driving. We had a very bad crash 7 years ago, we were doing around 50 mph towing a caravan when a women coming towards us lost control (warm, sunny dry road) and hit us head on on our side of the road, the police would not prosecute her! :o they were not bothered, yet just going over a speed limit without any accident and you can get points and a fine, makes no sense to me!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 06:34:20 pm »
I think speed cameras were largely a money-raising venture.  We need more actual traffic bobbies.

Offline Dave

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »
A fixed speed camera just before the accident spot might have prevented it. It would also slow down traffic approaching the roundabout. Trying to access the roundabout from Queens Rd can be quite daunting as cars fly straight on from the direction of town. These are the places were, In my humble opinion, cameras are a good thing.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 07:31:25 pm »
A fixed speed camera just before the accident spot might have prevented it. It would also slow down traffic approaching the roundabout. Trying to access the roundabout from Queens Rd can be quite daunting as cars fly straight on from the direction of town. These are the places were, In my humble opinion, cameras are a good thing.
Definitely.